beam weapons

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Kuruni

While normal saber is either plasma or particle based (need to check later), the ASS is laser. Similar smaller sword utilised by CGUE DEEP Arms and its call heavy laser sword (possibly reference to Dragonar's laser sword used by Gelf?).
My girlfriend was a loli.
CYNICISM AT IT'S BEST

Jak Crow wrote:
Kuruni wrote:First, ASS isn't hyper beam sword/saber, no relation. It is even laser-based weapon (or solid blade, in case of IWSP)). So mention it is total pointless in this topic.

Second, this isn't "what is your favourite" thread. It may be worth mention if you provide better reason like how you like technology or logic behind its design, but mention what you like "personally" is also pointless.
Oh, so serious now. :wink:

It is my understanding that the beam sabers in most series have been "plasma" based, thus similar across most shows, with perhaps the exception of 00. In Seed, the anti-ship swords such as the Strike's or Destiny's take the place of the "hyper" beam saber.
It doesn't matter if it takes the place of it in the show or not, that doesn't change the fact that it ISN'T one, it's a laser based weapon as Kuruni said, meaning it's in no way shape or form similar in design or method of cutting to even the basic beam saber let alone the hyper type weapons and is therefore a moot subject for this particular train of thought. (ok I'm done now :evil:)
Jak Crow

Kuruni wrote:While normal saber is either plasma or particle based (need to check later), the ASS is laser. Similar smaller sword utilised by CGUE DEEP Arms and its call heavy laser sword (possibly reference to Dragonar's laser sword used by Gelf?).
Do you have info on the Seed stuff being laser? A previous discussion had others insisting the saber tech being plasma to the point of much name calling and stamping of feet.
CYNICISM AT IT'S BEST

here Gundam official said it from day one.
Lans

While there must be some configuration and settings with each MS and their beam saber, strangely I saw one or two event when a MS grab their opponent beam saber and use it against the owner. Although it only lasted several seconds, but is that really working or it's just purely for entertainment purposes? I saw them on Gundam Zeta II, Lovers when Cammile with Gundam MK II fought with Asshimar. Just before Amuro Rick Dias get him, Asshimar was able to capture MK II's beam saber and use it (we can see the beam saber working properly) to strike MK II.
Jak Crow

CYNICISM AT IT'S BEST wrote:here Gundam official said it from day one.
Okay. My mistake. Though in the future, some people could be a little more gracious and a lot less dickish.
Wingnut

Jak Crow wrote:
CYNICISM AT IT'S BEST wrote:here Gundam official said it from day one.
Okay. My mistake. Though in the future, some people could be a little more gracious and a lot less dickish.
Pot calling the kettle black much? Your mouth has earned you an official warning BTW, so you might want to check your attitude at the door next time before you decide to be a wiseass like this again.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Maelstromm

I can remember there being a previous thread about beam saber colors and how they function, while I can't remember the specifics, I don't think they came to a conclusion on how beam sabers managed to stay lit even though they left the hands of their respective MS.

I wonder if a capacitor could be a possible solution to this? The beam saber could possibly store enough charge from the MS while in its hands to remain lit even though it has left its hands due to a capacitor in the beam saber storing the charge...the beam saber dying later could be attributed to the charge in the beam saber running out.
Gahh!!! My kingdom for a signature!!!!
Any takers?
Mark064

lans* wrote:While there must be some configuration and settings with each MS and their beam saber, strangely I saw one or two event when a MS grab their opponent beam saber and use it against the owner. Although it only lasted several seconds, but is that really working or it's just purely for entertainment purposes? I saw them on Gundam Zeta II, Lovers when Cammile with Gundam MK II fought with Asshimar. Just before Amuro Rick Dias get him, Asshimar was able to capture MK II's beam saber and use it (we can see the beam saber working properly) to strike MK II.
Beam sabers do not require a direct connection to the mobile suit to obtain the power to supply them. They are charged by the MS own recharge racks. Early mobile suits such as the RX-78-2 Gundam had no direct connection to the beam saber and thus could run out of energy mid battle. Gundam Alex corrected this problem and had the MS giving the beam saber energy but it does not require the connection, just as a fail safe of sorts to make sure it doesn't run out of energy.

Thus the instance of Zeta Gundam the Asshimar is able to use the Gundam Mark II's beam saber just fine. This happens a few other times in Gundam such as Gato throwing the GP02A's beam saber to confuse Kou and Yazan stealing the Zeta Gundam's beam saber in the early episodes of ZZ Gundam.

I'm thinking that the ZZ Gundam's Hyper Beam Saber might be an exception to this and require a direct power link as when we saw the ZZ fire the High Mega Cannon and lost power, it's hyper beam saber went off too. Of course this might be due to other reasons so I'm sure it's open to debate.
Tallgeese III

I personally like the Thermal beam weapons of gundam wing, and epyons big sword casue by the direct link to the mobile suit's power sysyem, making the blade much bigger....i just think it looks cool too....

But how does deathscythe use his beam weapon underwater...???
Mega cannon....MEGA CANNON!!!!
Den

hmmm about the deathscythe's scythe being able to run underwater has been discuss somewhere in this forum already, try seraching about it, it would be faster to get your answer if it has been discuss already i'll try to find it then post a hyperlink later

EDIT: Unnecessary post deleted. Please don't spam.

~ShadowCell