The design of the MSZ-006 Zeta Gundam

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Arbiter GUNDAM

The design of the MSZ-006 Zeta Gundam

I was just wondering about the head of the Zeta Gundam. It's design aesthetic, particularly the face, isn't often seen with other Gundams. I was just wondering why that is.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Hyakushiki

My guess would be that because the Zeta wasn't originally designed as a Gundam may have something to do with it.
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
J-Lead

Are you looking for an in-universe or out-of-universe explanation?
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
HalfDemonInuyasha

Hyakushiki has it mostly right.

The Zeta Gundam is the final, successful, prototype model after the Hyaku Shiki. The Zeta Gundam's head is pretty much what the Hyaku Shiki's is (used in the Prototype Zeta Gundam X1, which was deemed the best one), but colored differently and with the Gundam V-fin on its forehead. If anything, the Hyaku Shiki, in ways, is pretty much a non-transformable Zeta Gundam (not being able to handle the transformation systems).
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
Arbiter GUNDAM

J-Lead wrote:Are you looking for an in-universe or out-of-universe explanation?
Both please, thanks.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
J-Lead

As for an in-universe explanation, Hyakushiki and HalfDemonInuyasha have it down. As for an out-of-universe one, I would say that it's probably because Kazumi Fujita designed it himself rather than Okawara, who only helped with the transformation system. The MSF-007 Gundam MK III (one of Fujita's famous designs) shares similar facial features with the Zeta, so I'd just attribute the Zeta's head design to Fujita's own creative taste.
Oruma

supposingly the Zeta doesn't look like the Gundam (as in, RX-78 or RX-178) because Quattro doesn't like the "Gundam face", and thus influenced the design.

of course this is more likely a joke explanation :lol:
"So...what does the Uncertainty Principle really mean?"
"Sorry, I'm not sure."
Dark Duel

Oruma wrote:supposingly the Zeta doesn't look like the Gundam (as in, RX-78 or RX-178) because Quattro doesn't like the "Gundam face", and thus influenced the design.

of course this is more likely a joke explanation :lol:
IIRC, wasn't that joke about the Rick Dias and not the Zeta?
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
HalfDemonInuyasha

I believe so since the Rick Dias prototype did have a Gundam-styled face and was supposedly going to be called "Gundam Gamma" after the Gundarium Gamma alloy brought from Axis by Char.
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
mcred23

And AFAIK, it's more Zeonic design is due to Anaheim having so many former Zeon employees rather than anything said/done by Char and/or Quattro.
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Mark064

Yes to be specific Brex wanted to name it Gamma Gundam but Quattro didn't think it looked like a Gundam.

From what I remember about the Zeta Gundam the head you see in the first opening of the show is not the same head we all know and love. The top pic.
artmaster079

I thought the head in the first opening was of the Gundam Mark II? I could have sworn that the only glimpse of the Zeta was when it was in Waverider mode coming toward the screen and slowly transforms - and you get a glimpse of its glowing eyes?....

Then again, i might be crazy...
**Member of Mecha Talk since June 2006**

Mark064 wrote:From what I remember about the Zeta Gundam the head you see in the first opening of the show is not the same head we all know and love. The top pic.
I was always wondering what mobile suit that head belonged to. I always figured the Hyakushiki for some reason...

Out of curiosity, where did this old lineart come from, and who was the designer behind it? (Fujita?)
Mark064

artmaster079 wrote:I thought the head in the first opening was of the Gundam Mark II? I could have sworn that the only glimpse of the Zeta was when it was in Waverider mode coming toward the screen and slowly transforms - and you get a glimpse of its glowing eyes?....

Then again, i might be crazy...
Yes that is the glimpse I'm talking about. You can make out more of the design by pausing or watching in slow motion. The thing of course was redone for opening two.

J-Lead - Just another random find of mine, I think the designer was either Fujita or Nagano.
Kuro No Sakura

J-Lead wrote:
Mark064 wrote:From what I remember about the Zeta Gundam the head you see in the first opening of the show is not the same head we all know and love. The top pic.
I was always wondering what mobile suit that head belonged to. I always figured the Hyakushiki for some reason...

Out of curiosity, where did this old lineart come from, and who was the designer behind it? (Fujita?)
This head must be belong to the legendary Delta Gundam (Hyakushiki orginal concept which it can transform) lol
Recon 5

Nope. Official art (and the MAHQ profile) of the D Plus shows it as... a Hyaku Shiki that can transform- with the HS head we've all come to know and love, not the head in that pic.
Lans

Re: reply

HalfDemonInuyasha wrote:I believe so since the Rick Dias prototype did have a Gundam-styled face and was supposedly going to be called "Gundam Gamma" after the Gundarium Gamma alloy brought from Axis by Char.
What the...

Could someone link a picture of that "Gundam styled face Rick Dias". I never know about that.
Zerosystem

Re: reply

lans* wrote:
HalfDemonInuyasha wrote:I believe so since the Rick Dias prototype did have a Gundam-styled face and was supposedly going to be called "Gundam Gamma" after the Gundarium Gamma alloy brought from Axis by Char.
What the...

Could someone link a picture of that "Gundam styled face Rick Dias". I never know about that.
I believe the in-universe story was that the Rick Dias was going to be named 'Gamma Gundam', but Quattro objected due to it not even looking remotely like a Gundam.

Also, I've found a scan of that magazine article that mentions the Delta Plus and a concept of a transforming Hyaku Shiki. There was an older image of the same article that I found on this forum months ago, but it was of poor resolution.

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/4950/h ... lusmh2.jpg
gp=pc----c>--- %%
__|______|_____|_______
bazooka | shell | explosion
CHASER

The RX-098 Prototype Rick Dias. Aside from what looks like a chin-piece there isn't really anything remotely similar to a Gundam styled head, though the profile does note it to be 'aka Proto Gamma'.
HellCat wrote:
ShadowCell wrote:I'm skipping this one if it's in suppository form, though. Like, I like Gundam, but not that friggin' much.
They decided against that because most Gundam fans already have something up their butt.
Lans

Thanks for the picture, I appreciate that guys. I've seen the MS and it's not my first time seeing prototype rick dias, only at that time I never know about Gundam Gamma stuff.