Gundam Unicorn's Stark Jegan

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
toysdream

Gundam Unicorn's Stark Jegan

The GunOta guys are probably posting this as I type, but I note that a Stark Jegan profile has finally been added to the MS/Mechanic section of the official Gundam Unicorn site. Here's what it says; note that the specs provided are as per the current MS Encyclopedia, not the first edition where the Stark Jegan originally appeared.
RGM-89S Stark Jegan

Specs:
Anti-ship attack MS
Overall height: 19.2 meters
Base weight: 28.4 tons
Armor materials: Titanium alloy ceramic composite

As of U.C. 0096, the Federation Forces are in the process of a type conversion from the GM series to the new main mobile suit "RGM-89 Jegan." The Jegan demonstrates excellent stable performance as a general-purpose mobile suit and, taking advantage of an era of disarmament, a basic policy is adopted to meet the requirements of different situations with modified versions of this machine rather than by developing new mobile suits. The special version known as the "Stark Jegan" is one of the variations created under these conditions. In addition to extra armor and thrusters to increase its overall performance, it is equipped with missile launchers on its shoulders for support use, inheriting the functional concept of the GM III.
-- Mark
J-Lead

Seems like they might have retconned out the whole "nuclear capable" bit, seeing as the passage fails to mention that one critical detail. The fleet itself usually does a fine job of using nuclear missiles in that era anyway...

Although the fact that the Unicorn version simply used a regular old Jegan and bolted on some parts rather than using the old, existing design immediately struck me when I first saw the lineart on asterphage's contribution thread, and the RGM-89/RGM-89S are nearly identical in proportion and stature, save for the Stark's add ons. It's nice to get a sensible explanation behind that.
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
trioknight

The Unicorn website doesn't mention it, but the feature on the Stark Jegan in the March issue of Gundam Ace indicates that the base model Jegan the Stark parts are bolted on to is the "D Type." I suspect that's primarily to differentiate Katoki's design from the original, but it does have a few modifications made to the shoulders and backpack as well as a pair of little tiny skirt tabs to facilitate attaching the Stark parts.
Zeis

So is this Stark Jegan the same RGM-89S that was listed on the Gundam Unicorn page as the 'Jegan Special Operations Type?'
Neo-Era

Re: Gundam Unicorn's Stark Jegan

toysdream wrote:The GunOta guys are probably posting this as I type
My monitor burned out on Tuesday and I had to replace it twice while RGZ's without net access for a short while. 8) Even after I got back on, I still missed it since they didn't mention the mecha update on Sunrise's site and I had been expecting it on the 25th, when they used to do it.

And I suspect Bandai used voodoo on us.
Gunota Headlines: Daily Gundam newsblog
The New Adventures Of Tomino-sama: Not-so daily Gundam parody webcomic
asterphage

Zeis wrote:So is this Stark Jegan the same RGM-89S that was listed on the Gundam Unicorn page as the 'Jegan Special Operations Type?'
Probably- the first Gundam Ace features on the mecha, specifically the Nahal Argama spread, said "Jegun" in roman letters, and that name has been abandoned as well.
-Paul Segal
teslashark

maybe it was forbidden to talk about nuke?
Junior mod at forum.spacebattles.com