Simple Hyper Mega Particle Cannon question

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
HalfDemonInuyasha

Simple Hyper Mega Particle Cannon question

Basically, why do you suppose it never saw ANY sort of use outside of the ones made for the Argama and the Nahel Argama?

I can get that 2 big possibilities are probably...

1.) Cost - Of course, I'm not suggesting trying to fit it onto EVERY battleship as well as putting 1 on every new one, but perhaps a couple command ships could have 1 of it or maybe a couple assault ships made for attacking fortresses or defending installations, or something could have 1 installed.

Given the sheer power being (in ZZ anyways) compared to a colony laser and seeing the amount of damage it could do by wiping out a dead colony, completely piercing through the fallen colony on Dublin and causing a lot of damage to Axis (a couple times, in ZZ, they talked about wiping out Axis with 1-2 shots from it), you'd think that such a weapon would've been quite helpful in dealing with Char flinging asteroids all over in Char's Counterattack (instead of relying on easily-shot-down nukes) or for counterattacking forces such as the Crossbone Vanguard or Zanscare Empire from a great distance. This would at least, despite the technological disadvantage the Federation had to those 2, allow them to possibly push them back and/or overwhelm the enemy in sheer numbers. And I doubt a battleship beam shield would be able to protect against it, so the Motorad Fleet could've been more easily dealt with too.

2.) Power requirements/charging - The charge time seeming to be a little over 2+ hours between each shot leaves plenty of time for enemy forces to get through, but if you make those 1-2 shots (if you got a couple ships equipped with it and fire in intervals) count, then the enemy forces should be reduced more than enough for your own forces to overpower them. (At the very least, buy time for another shot or 2.) Judging from how the Argama and Nahel Argama used them, it didn't seem like it required any huge or significant amount of power to fire them as they were still capable of fighting after firing them.
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
CYNICISM AT IT'S BEST

Well I would think that such a weapon would be easily taken out and could just as easily hijacked, imagine a bunch of sociopathic terrorists going GTA on one and wiping out a few Sides. Furthermore building one would have to be on helluva pain to build, I mean the damn can turn a colony into space dust or at least neatly sized chunks, that can't be a small feat.
Draco Starcloud

The AEUG might have trusted its captains with colony-crushing weapons, but after what the Titans did I don't think the Federation wanted to give anything more powerful than a Main Gun to any of its troops.
Chris wrote:IMMA CHARGIN MAH MAHQ @_@
Draco's Lair - Latest Update: 1/9/10
Duraham

plus the very controversial question about actually building it. you are going to have to displace a few million of inhabitants, and with the tension between the EFSF and the spacenoids, i dun think the EFSF could afford to anger them further, lest another Zeon-like side arises.

oh wait, they did.
Cardi Doorl

Duraham wrote:plus the very controversial question about actually building it. you are going to have to displace a few million of inhabitants...
Are we talking about the same thing here? The Hyper Mega Particle Cannon wouldn't displace any more people than would building a rifle.
RPG TRINARY: Gaia
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Cardi Doorl

Make sure to check out the RPG section!
Dark Duel

He's not talking about a Colony Laser, though. He's talking about the new main cannon that's equipped to the Argama in ZZ, as well as being mounted to the Nahel Argama - Colony Laser-level destructive power in a package not much bigger than the average megaparticle gun.

EDIT: Whoops, ninja'd.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Gadget

Draco Starcloud wrote:The AEUG might have trusted its captains with colony-crushing weapons, but after what the Titans did I don't think the Federation wanted to give anything more powerful than a Main Gun to any of its troops.
The US Navy do entrust a few dozen SLBM to some sub captains :roll:

But I guess it's a form of Mature Assured Destrution policy. And the AEUG is a kinda of popular rebellion group, not some goverment forces.