Crude Oil still in SEED?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
ORegan

Crude Oil still in SEED?

I know the World's gasoline and oil supply has been exhausted in CE, but how exactly is that possible? Crude oil makes a lot of products out of a single barrel, one of which is grease. Grease is needed for lubrication purposes for the purpose of reducing friction. It is essential for all modern age countries, and I'm pretty sure mobile suits and every other vehicle etc. is needs the grease to serve that purpose. No oil= no grease. So I have three conclusions:

A: There is a small supply of crude oil used for such purpose

B: A substitute is used

C: They simulate the conditions used to make oil, and speed up the process to avoid waiting a couple hundred years.
mcred23 wrote: Well... it's official: O'Regan is the next Hitler.
WhiteWingDemon wrote: Not to start anything, seeing as that is O'Regan's job...
ShadowCell wrote: O'Regan, quit hitting on other users.
Orrick Alexander wrote: Did anyone know that O'Regan is the reason there's no air in space?
Dark Duel

In my personal opinion, they found some type of synthetic substitute.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
the razor blade

A synthetic silicone lube works just as well as grease and breaks down slower than grease.
using this fact, it is entirely possible that CE uses silicone or other synthetic lubes
If the shoe fits, wear it. If the bullet hole fits, your dead.
Death is only a stepping stone to something weirder.
Can god heat up a microwave burrito so hot that not even he can eat it?
Gadget

the razor blade wrote:A synthetic silicone lube works just as well as grease and breaks down slower than grease.
using this fact, it is entirely possible that CE uses silicone or other synthetic lubes
Normal grease is not usable in space. The low pressure and wide variation in temperature will boil off the grease, leaving ?wax? behind.

Beside synthetic stuff like silicone lube, there is also Telfon base. And the other lube is graphite. The black powerdery stuff is actually quite slippery.

Assuming crude oil has been exhausted, oil can be obtain from other material like coal tar, oil sands, and even biological base. It's just not eccomical yet to extract oil from these substance. I'm sure the cooking oil i use is not from some oil field in th middle east.
ORegan

cooking oil, which most of the time is vegetable oil, or olive oil etc, is made by doing some scientific thing to vegetables.
mcred23 wrote: Well... it's official: O'Regan is the next Hitler.
WhiteWingDemon wrote: Not to start anything, seeing as that is O'Regan's job...
ShadowCell wrote: O'Regan, quit hitting on other users.
Orrick Alexander wrote: Did anyone know that O'Regan is the reason there's no air in space?
Lans

How about things like palm oil or such. I believe that in WW II the REMOVED planted several kinds of plantation to provide lubrication/ grease to some extent for it's war machine. Although it's only for emergency supply because of the low quality, but that's with 1940s technology. With CE level of technology, they probably can produce better grease from the same materials.
Duraham

wasn't there still a couple of untapped minute pools, like the one where the archangel was trapped in during the GS desert arc?

anyway, they probably found a way to get around it, like maybe the magnetic coating stuff from UC?
Dark Duel

That was an old refinery...and by the looks of it, was abandoned. Probably had been for some time.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
minovskycore_0180er
Location: Orb Union - Prototype Astray Spammer Unit Test Pilot

What ORegan said is correct. Their are companies in our modern day that by used greases such as automotive and aviation lubes, (motor oils, transmission fluids, etc.) as well as various fast food corporations ranging from KFC to McDonald's, Burger King, so that they can sell them to science based product production based company for synthezation into various products. I not sure what the products are called but know that they can range from greases used in space applications, cancer and medical research, theoretical propulsion engineering, the list goes on.

And oil in C.E.is scares however, I am sure that there are untapped pools of reserves located throughout the enitre Middle East. The major sites known today may have been drained by the time C.E. came around ( meaning that in the A.D. calender of 2008 which later in Gundam SEED history become C.E. the reserves that existed now would have been exhausted by the time C.E. came by.). But still I sure that their small enough reserves which by todays standards would be considered as a waste of investments to mine. The cost to assemble the rigs would be more then the total return of tapped oil. $2 million dollars of oil but the rigs cost $5 million to build and thats not includes construction cost to assemble the rigs and payroll of those who would build it. But in C.E. with the energy crisis due to the April Fools Day Attack and N-Jammers those reserves might have become worth the cost. And with the technological superiority of C.E. I'm sure there are far more efficient means of drilling oil which is probably a strategic reason for ZAFT seizing those areas. If crude oil can be refined and used for space applications that would benefit there MS production and mantanence needs.

EDIT: Y'know we have an Edit button here? It's cool.

~ShadowCell
"... there comes a time in every persons life, when they must roll the dice and accept the outcome...."

" Gundam F91, launching!"- Seabook Arno