Cosmic Era, The most Advanced Era In Gundam

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
J-Lead

X666S Legend wrote:See that's not what I meant all I am saying is that after the exploration mission and after the discovery of evidence 01 they realized that there are also raw materials and power in space so I didnt say that they get the raw power from jupiter (of course jupiter's gravity is so strong) maybe they got the raw power somewhere in space that's how
I still don't know where exactly your going with that. Most organizations in all the various Gundam universes get materials from various resource satellites in addition to materials acquired from earth, so there's nothing special there. In addition, CE technology runs mostly off of internal batteries or nuclear fission or other various power sources that are pretty much available today, which has nothing to do with the discovery of Evidence 01 or space, nor is that any more advanced than, say, UC or AC.

Anyway, I don't see where this topic can really go from here. The OP was suggesting that CE was the most technologically advanced universe of them all or something along those lines, and everyone's already made it clear that it's not as special as he suggested.
Last edited by J-Lead on Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
Dendrobium Stamen

X666S Legend wrote:See that's not what I meant all I am saying is that after the exploration mission and after the discovery of evidence 01 they realized that there are also raw materials and power in space so I didnt say that they get the raw power from jupiter (of course jupiter's gravity is so strong) maybe they got the raw power somewhere in space that's how
That... that doesn't make sense either. It's been established in the animation and the official references that all George Glenn found out in the black beyond was Evidence-01. Prior to April C.E.70, most of Earth (minus Orb) was reliant on nuclear power to provide its energy needs, simply a wider use of the nuclear fission plants we use today, following the drying up of fossil fuel supplies.

Also... how would someone go about collecting "raw power" from space, anyway? Without some Star Trek-style hydrogen-scooping technology which somehow converts free-floating hydrogen into part of a power supply, I really can't figure out what you're trying to suggest here. Given that the furthest Cosmic Era humanity has pushed from Earth is the Jovian system (and then only on George Glenn's mission AFAIK), there isn't anywhere else to find "raw power" in space, since the Martian Coordinators we see in Delta Astray don't seem to be providing any...
"Trust me, I know what I'm doing." - Sledge Hammer.
A Wind Raging Through, a Destiny sidestory.
Gelmax

Antares wrote:Instead of saying that CE is the most advanced era, I might be more inclined to say that CE is one of the eras where the march of tech is so brutally rapid that it makes it seem more advanced. The anime and the Astray mangas combine into one long R&D wet dream.

In short, IMHO the upgrades from SEED tech to SEED Destiny was quite quick. My vague memories of UC is that innovations could spring, but large-scale upgrades took more time and older suits were still useful (and used) later on (as opposed to ZAFT/EA swapping basically their entire mainstay mobile suit forces within a few years). Plus UC in the end became pretty darn advanced, I'd say. At least GX played it more by upgrades than massive updates (someone will surely correct me if I am wrong).
I don't know about SEED, but technology advancement was quite fast during Gundam Wing, which took place over the course of about a year but saw the rollouts of the Taurus, the Pisces, the Virgo, the Virgo II, and mass-produced beam rifles that could be effectively wielded by mobile suits. Not to mention the Serpents, secretly mass-produced less than a year later.
minovskycore_0180er
Location: Orb Union - Prototype Astray Spammer Unit Test Pilot

Well, Anno Domino is beginning to catch my eye in technological superiority. The GN-001 Gundam Exia, I've never seen a MS manuver in such an extreme manner. I mean how many MS do you know can actually jump and stomp a MS into the ground then strafe across the terrian slicing another MS in half through the torso with it's GN knive and then sliding backwards to avoid a direct hit and then slicing the attacking MS in half from it's torso to it's head.

I'm beginning to think that GN-Drive stands for Gravity Nullification Drive.
"... there comes a time in every persons life, when they must roll the dice and accept the outcome...."

" Gundam F91, launching!"- Seabook Arno
J-Lead

minovskycore_0180er wrote:I'm beginning to think that GN-Drive stands for Gravity Nullification Drive.
Only if it uses Gravity Nullification Particles. :lol:
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
Strike Zero

First of all, somebody is going to have to explain to me what the hell "RAW Powah" is. I still can't quite figure that one out.

Secondly, I don't think you guys are giving SEED enough credit.

Though the CE may not have been the first era to "pioneer" several of their mobile suit technologies such as beam shields and the capacity for sustained mid-air flight, we do have to give them credit for being the first to get all of them within the span of two years, where as it took the people from the UC seventy years to acquire the same things (i.e. the Minovsky Drive System). The CE also had mobile suits that could turn invisible and were built with armor that could completely repel kinetic attacks. The UC does't have technology even remotely like Phase-Shift Armor, and the only other mobile suits that can turn invisible AFAIK are the Deathscythe from Wing and the Gundams from 00.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Mark064

The way I see CC is the most advanced era. With all the ultra advanced technolgies present in well just the Turn A Gundam alone. Then you have more advanced technologies present in the Turn X the rest of the mobile suits, ships and so on. I-Field Beam Drives, Teleportation, Nanoskin, Moonlight Butterfly, Barriers, and so on.

Time probably isn't a factor we can use in this case. Since we are limited at the stopping of the animation. And really the question of most technologically advanced is at the height of what they have so time isn't helpful. It's also difficult in a lot of cases to draw comparisons between what one universe has and another doesn't. For example it's easy to draw a comparison between fusion and lack of. But for Phase Shift other universes like AC developed really strong armor that beats out Phase Shift, UC went the mobility way and got crazy agile suits.

00 is still too early on to tell about it's technological capabilities or limits.
Dark Duel

Another serious contender for most technologically advanced era in Gundam, regardless of how not-so-serious most aspects of it were, is still FC.

Just the MTS alone is more advanced than just about anything we've seen. And then IMO the technological pinnacle of that universe would be the massively powerful Ultimate/Devil/Dark Gundam - self-repairing, self-evolving, and then there's the "DG" cells, which it can use even to reanimate corpses.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
pozdniakov

Whilst appearing quite mid 20th century at parts, the After Colony universe seems very advanced if you take a look at its mobile suit performance. They're around the level of F91 like performance and weight. However they haven't really advanced into space as well as UC did. Cosmic era only seems advanced as its mobile suits are jammed pack with weapons to such an extent that they look like childish superobots. I love the simplicity of UC, and even AC gundam designs look simple yet elegant in comparison to CE.
Gelmax

Mark064 wrote:The way I see CC is the most advanced era. With all the ultra advanced technolgies present in well just the Turn A Gundam alone. Then you have more advanced technologies present in the Turn X the rest of the mobile suits, ships and so on. I-Field Beam Drives, Teleportation, Nanoskin, Moonlight Butterfly, Barriers, and so on.

Time probably isn't a factor we can use in this case. Since we are limited at the stopping of the animation. And really the question of most technologically advanced is at the height of what they have so time isn't helpful. It's also difficult in a lot of cases to draw comparisons between what one universe has and another doesn't. For example it's easy to draw a comparison between fusion and lack of. But for Phase Shift other universes like AC developed really strong armor that beats out Phase Shift, UC went the mobility way and got crazy agile suits.

00 is still too early on to tell about it's technological capabilities or limits.
There was no teleportation in CC, you're probably thinking of the Turn A's ability to make itself invisible. Still, that's not CC technology - it's stuff from a prior era which was certainly more advanced than any other Gundam era, but by the time CC came around the technology level had been knocked right down to lower than usual.
Mark064

I don't it's ever been confirmed if the Turn A can teleport or turn invisible infact the Turn X does the same thing a few episodes later which makes me beleive the teleportation idea.
Gelmax

The episode states VERY clearly at the time that the Turn A is using electromagnetic fields to bend light around itself (or something like that), rendering it effectively invisible. Also, I don't recall any instance of either the Turn A or the Turn X teleporting, nor does the Turn X ever do the invisibility thing.
Derringer

Strike Zero wrote:FThe UC does't have technology even remotely like Phase-Shift Armor, and the only other mobile suits that can turn invisible AFAIK are the Deathscythe from Wing and the Gundams from 00.
On the other hand UC managed to incorporate pilot ejection systems, as well as the 360 panaoramic display, and because of Unicorn, we know the psycho frame is capable of allowing a person to control an entire mobile suit as if were his own body.
Aegis

Gelmax wrote:The episode states VERY clearly at the time that the Turn A is using electromagnetic fields to bend light around itself (or something like that), rendering it effectively invisible. Also, I don't recall any instance of either the Turn A or the Turn X teleporting, nor does the Turn X ever do the invisibility thing.
You'd have to show us where it explicitly states that in the episode. All I see is a flash and the Turn A vanishes and everyone else looking dumbfounded and confused.

And lets be more specific: CC before Moonlight Butterfly is pretty much upper echelon for advanced technology. CC era after Moonlight Butterfly is kinda half and half, depending on whether you're Earthrace or Moonrace.
Gelmax

Aegis wrote:
Gelmax wrote:The episode states VERY clearly at the time that the Turn A is using electromagnetic fields to bend light around itself (or something like that), rendering it effectively invisible. Also, I don't recall any instance of either the Turn A or the Turn X teleporting, nor does the Turn X ever do the invisibility thing.
You'd have to show us where it explicitly states that in the episode. All I see is a flash and the Turn A vanishes and everyone else looking dumbfounded and confused.
Right after the Turn A vanishes, Gym says "Don't make any careless moves! He's using his full power to bend light by using electro-magnetic waves".

And actually, except for stuff from Mountain Cycles (which doesn't really count), Moonrace technology compared very erratically compared to other Gundam series' technology. It's hard to really make comparisons, though, because the technology is wildly inconsistent and also very different from the established Gundam norm - on the one hand, the SUMO used I-fields with no limitations, and the FLAT's Hyper Vibration is quite unique, but on the other hand, there's no indication that the Moonrace ever managed to invent beam sabers, and the SUMO was also the only Moonrace-built mobile suit that came with handheld, self-powered beam weaponry.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Strike Zero wrote:The UC does't have technology even remotely like Phase-Shift Armor, and the only other mobile suits that can turn invisible AFAIK are the Deathscythe from Wing and the Gundams from 00.
I know this is OT but if the Deathscythe really could become invisible, why does Duo barely use that feature? Constant cloaking and uncloaking wasn't covered in Wing's budget like in SEED?
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
ORegan

MBF-06/ZGMF-X12A Arbiter wrote:
I know this is OT but if the Deathscythe really could become invisible, why does Duo barely use that feature? Constant cloaking and uncloaking wasn't covered in Wing's budget like in SEED?
That's like asking why Wufei didn't use the Altron's stinger beam gun thing. He just never did so out of free will.
mcred23 wrote: Well... it's official: O'Regan is the next Hitler.
WhiteWingDemon wrote: Not to start anything, seeing as that is O'Regan's job...
ShadowCell wrote: O'Regan, quit hitting on other users.
Orrick Alexander wrote: Did anyone know that O'Regan is the reason there's no air in space?
Gelmax

Strike Zero wrote:The UC does't have technology even remotely like Phase-Shift Armor, and the only other mobile suits that can turn invisible AFAIK are the Deathscythe from Wing and the Gundams from 00.
He it used plenty of times. However, invisibility is of limited use when you're carrying a big, bright beam scythe, and it's not like the enemies are just going to forget where he is and just start missing him all of a sudden the instant he goes invisible. We don't know much about the cloak's weaknesses, either. Maybe it doesn't hide the engines' thrust, or maybe it doesn't work at high speeds, or some other such major weakness that prevents use in combat.
Gone Astray

Gelmax wrote:
He it used plenty of times. However, invisibility is of limited use when you're carrying a big, bright beam scythe, and it's not like the enemies are just going to forget where he is and just start missing him all of a sudden the instant he goes invisible. We don't know much about the cloak's weaknesses, either. Maybe it doesn't hide the engines' thrust, or maybe it doesn't work at high speeds, or some other such major weakness that prevents use in combat.
The Deathscythe couldn't be rendered completely invisible until it was upgraded; and even then, I believe the complete invisibility only came when the active cloak was closed. If that's the case, then being invisible hampered the suit's ability to fight, so it could really only be used for sneaking in. I don't think it was really all that necessary, though, since even the regular Deathscythe was quite capable of destroying a few ships with just its ECM suite to limit its opponents to visual targeting.
"For who would lose, though full of pain, this intellectual being--those thoughts that wander through eternity; to perish rather, swallowed up and lost in the wide womb of uncreated night, devoid of sense and motion?"
Aegis

Gelmax wrote: Right after the Turn A vanishes, Gym says "Don't make any careless moves! He's using his full power to bend light by using electro-magnetic waves".
And would that be a reliable translation? I've seen all sorts of quirky lines on that one that don't look anything like you just said.

And, yes, the DSH, especially the EW version, loses in the area of offence and mobility when the active cloak is used. For Duo to utilise the machine's full speed and offence, which is more of his preference anyways, the active cloak must stay up as wing binders and not as armour. Kinda like the trade-off with Blitz and its Mirage Colloid, although the loss comes in the form of its PS armour while still maintaining mobility.