Cosmic Era, The most Advanced Era In Gundam

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
~SEED~

Cosmic Era, The most Advanced Era In Gundam

Well CE Has ultra thin MS and manage anti beam coating (akatsuki) As well as Cloning, Genetically modified humans AND Invisibility particles all sourced from RAW Power.
Your thoughts?
I look back at old posts and sigh as I see how freakin immature i was...
Gelmax

I don't see how that's really that much more advanced than other Gundam universes. UC and AC both had cloning and genetic modification, AC had stealth technology comparable to CE's, and CE's anti-beam coating technology might as well have been copy-pasted from UC. I'm not exactly sure what "ultra thin MS" is supposed to mean.
ShadowCell

None of your criteria make sense, nor are they anything new. Gundam Wing has mobile suits far thinner/lighter/whatever than anything in the Cosmic Era. Graham Acre's Union Flag in 00 has anti-beam coating. The Universal Century was full of clones (hi, Puru! No, the other one) Genetic modification isn't anything new either (see Quatre, the suspiciously Nordic-looking "Neo-Arabian"). And the Deathscythe Hell could turn invisible long before the Blitz came around.

And I don't know what the hell "sourced from RAW Power" is supposed to mean, although it sounds like something you'd hear in G Gundam.
Dendrobium Stamen

In terms of physical build, no Cosmic Era MS compares to the anorexic figures of the AD era's Flag and Enact, or the AW era's giant robot catwalk model, the 4.5 ton Correl - I don't think any CE machine was below the 50-ton mark, eleven or twelve times heavier.

Cloning and gene-modifying aren't unique to CE, as mentioned, and while CE does have advanced anti-beam coating, so does AD - also of note is the fact that AC and AW managed beam-proof armour, bypassing the need for a fancy coating altogether. FC also has a distinct advantage in its highly advanced nanotechnology, which would of course carry over into CC...

Also, the Cosmic Era remains distinctly pre-fusion, while the UC was distinctly in the nuclear fusion era. The AD era also surpasses CE for energy supply, as its solar-energy orbital elevators are far more effective sources of power than the nuclear reactors that powered Earth prior to the April Fool's Crisis.

All in all, in many ways the Cosmic Era is less advanced, but does so slightly more within the bounds of modern-day scientific thinking (as far as a show about giant robots and space battles can...) than other timelines, with the possible exception of the ongoing AD era...
"Trust me, I know what I'm doing." - Sledge Hammer.
A Wind Raging Through, a Destiny sidestory.
Recon 5

The one place where CE could possibly be more advanced is weaponry. I mean, when you have weapons that can penetrate colony walls with a single hit (and later positron plasters) running on battery power, thats quite a feat of efficiency. This is also an era where remote weapons (gunbarrels) predate mobile suits and even UC- the most bit and funnel- happy Gundam series so far- couldn't match that.
ShadowCell

Uh, I don't think the Cosmic Era's positron blasters run on batteries.

Most of them are connected to ships, which seem to have some more permanent power source, and the only other such weapon I can think of offhand is the Blue Frame's Lohengrin launcher, which required an extra energy pack.
Gelmax

Recon 5 wrote:The one place where CE could possibly be more advanced is weaponry. I mean, when you have weapons that can penetrate colony walls with a single hit (and later positron plasters) running on battery power, thats quite a feat of efficiency. This is also an era where remote weapons (gunbarrels) predate mobile suits and even UC- the most bit and funnel- happy Gundam series so far- couldn't match that.
Wing Gundam's buster rifle, which is known to be capable of penetrating a colony wall in one shot AND taking out mobile suits on the other side of said colony wall, was definitely powered by the AC equivalent of batteries/e-caps.

As for remote weapons, CE getting remote weapons first has nothing to do with more advanced weaponry - CE got remote weapons first because it lacked the Minovsky interference that made remote weaponry impractical without Newtype powers.
ShadowCell

Besides, up until the Providence, all of the Cosmic Era's remote weapons were wired, with I think the exception of the Pergrande--but the Pergrande's DRAGOONs all had pilots, so that doesn't really count.
mcred23

Recon 5 was talking about weapons breaching colony walls that are battery powered, although I really don't think the power source is that big of a deal (And weapons that can penetrate colony walls are anything but special, most ranged beam weapons in UC can easily do this, particularly ship mounted main guns).
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
CYNICISM AT IT'S BEST

Re: Cosmic Era, The most Advanced Era In Gundam

~SEED~ wrote:Well CE Has ultra thin MS and manage anti beam coating (akatsuki) As well as Cloning, Genetically modified humans AND Invisibility particles all sourced from RAW Power.
Your thoughts?
I'd like to point out that the Shiki had ABC long before the Akastuki was even a glimmer in some animator's head,
HalfDemonInuyasha

Recon 5 wrote:The one place where CE could possibly be more advanced is weaponry. I mean, when you have weapons that can penetrate colony walls with a single hit (and later positron plasters) running on battery power, thats quite a feat of efficiency. This is also an era where remote weapons (gunbarrels) predate mobile suits and even UC- the most bit and funnel- happy Gundam series so far- couldn't match that.
A lot of weaponry in UC could penetrate colony walls. A single beam rifle shot, stray missles hitting areas, battleship mega particle guns, etc have been shown to easily blast through a colony wall and make a rather decent-sized hole. Positron blasters are, more or less, (IMO anyway) CEs equivilant to the mega beam rifles/cannons of UC or AC's buster/twin buster rifle.

Also as mentioned, remote weaponry coming first isn't really "more advanced". Even still, it doesn't quite beat out UC era in this respect considering those were STILL completely wire-guided and controlled by the spatial awareness-gifted pilot. Though, it's unclear if it's controlled manually or if it's all in the mind ala Newtype. The DRAGOON System is the mind at first, but things like the Mobious and Gunbarrel Striker I'm not sure of.
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
CHASER

Ultra-Thin Mobile Suits, not really. A lot of that would probably come from the animation differences, since the Strike Dagger isn't any thinner than a GM. Weight-wise the lightest suits I can recall would be the Astray Gundams, but they were built to be light, so it's not really a widespread thing, and even then there's nothing close to 40 tons.

Anti-Beam coating is found in most Gundam series' that have things like shields that can take a beam, though the Akatsuki actually reflects them, still not something really advanced compared to other defensive systems, especially since you could likely damage it with a good kick.

Positron guns never ran off any batteries, the Blue Frame's Positron launcher was powered by a nuclear pack carried on its rear, and needed another machine with an N-Jammer Caceller to be in range for the thing to even operate. The Strike's Agni cannon was probably the smallest thing that could punch through a colony wall in one shot on a battery-powered suit, but still not the most advanced or compact like the Wing Zero's.

Not really going to touch the rest since the others already said their thing.
HellCat wrote:
ShadowCell wrote:I'm skipping this one if it's in suppository form, though. Like, I like Gundam, but not that friggin' much.
They decided against that because most Gundam fans already have something up their butt.
Albireo_818

~SEED~, have you watched any other timeline other than C.E.? Because some of the things pointed out as unique (already specified by the others) are really not new or not true at all.
Call me Albireo or Al, without the _818
"A Clever person solves the problem. The wise person avoids it!"-Albert Einstein
X666S Legend

Well when it comes to RAW power I guess they didn't get it from earth perhaps they got the RAW power in space after George Glenn's Jupiter exploration mission and after the discovery of evidence 01
Rey Za Burrel's Pokemon Team

Turtwig
Aipom
Corphish
Raichu
Nightwing03

X666S Legend wrote:Well when it comes to RAW power I guess they didn't get it from earth perhaps they got the RAW power in space after George Glenn's Jupiter exploration mission and after the discovery of evidence 01
What are you talking about? Evidence 01 was just a skeleton of a winged whale that proves in CE that there are or was Extraterrestrial Lifeforms. Anyway, how could they possibly get "raw power" from Jupiter? Jupiter's gravity is MUCH too strong for anyone to actually obtain anything from that planet.
♣♦♠♥
Antares

Instead of saying that CE is the most advanced era, I might be more inclined to say that CE is one of the eras where the march of tech is so brutally rapid that it makes it seem more advanced. The anime and the Astray mangas combine into one long R&D wet dream.

In short, IMHO the upgrades from SEED tech to SEED Destiny was quite quick. My vague memories of UC is that innovations could spring, but large-scale upgrades took more time and older suits were still useful (and used) later on (as opposed to ZAFT/EA swapping basically their entire mainstay mobile suit forces within a few years). Plus UC in the end became pretty darn advanced, I'd say. At least GX played it more by upgrades than massive updates (someone will surely correct me if I am wrong).
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
mcred23

Nightwing03 wrote:
X666S Legend wrote:Well when it comes to RAW power I guess they didn't get it from earth perhaps they got the RAW power in space after George Glenn's Jupiter exploration mission and after the discovery of evidence 01
What are you talking about? Evidence 01 was just a skeleton of a winged whale that proves in CE that there are or was Extraterrestrial Lifeforms. Anyway, how could they possibly get "raw power" from Jupiter? Jupiter's gravity is MUCH too strong for anyone to actually obtain anything from that planet.
What do you mean by "raw power" anyway? Also, AFAIK, CE doesn't collect helium-3 from Jupiter like the Jupiter Energy Fleet does in UC...
Antares wrote:In short, IMHO the upgrades from SEED tech to SEED Destiny was quite quick. My vague memories of UC is that innovations could spring, but large-scale upgrades took more time and older suits were still useful (and used) later on (as opposed to ZAFT/EA swapping basically their entire mainstay mobile suit forces within a few years).
That depends on which era of UC you're talking about. While the MS switch in CE probably was far more rapid, the UC 0080's did have a rather quick turnover rate for new MS (The Federation, who were pretty much the only consistant orangization at that time, went through six mainstay suits between 0079 and 0093). In later years, designs did stablize, particularly once mini-MS developed (Not much really changed other between the UC 0120's and 0150's, especially when compared to earlier in UC or to CE).
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Black Knight

mcred23 wrote:
Antares wrote:In short, IMHO the upgrades from SEED tech to SEED Destiny was quite quick. My vague memories of UC is that innovations could spring, but large-scale upgrades took more time and older suits were still useful (and used) later on (as opposed to ZAFT/EA swapping basically their entire mainstay mobile suit forces within a few years).
That depends on which era of UC you're talking about. While the MS switch in CE probably was far more rapid, the UC 0080's did have a rather quick turnover rate for new MS (The Federation, who were pretty much the only consistant orangization at that time, went through six mainstay suits between 0079 and 0093). In later years, designs did stablize, particularly once mini-MS developed (Not much really changed other between the UC 0120's and 0150's, especially when compared to earlier in UC or to CE).
On the other hand, the Federation was still using OYW machines in 0087, and the GM series had as many refurbished and upgraded mobile suit units as it did newly-built machines, which is perhaps why the GM III isn't worlds better than the original GM. The Federation considered a new main-line MS in the Hizack, but doesn't seem to have had the time, due to the Gryps War, to make the switch completely.

In other words, the Federation only seems to have had three major designs in its entire history, the GM series, the Jegans, and the Javelins. Everything else was by comparison a short-lived semi-produced machine.

This applies realistically to the other factions, as well. The Titans were using Hizacks in large numbers from the start of the Gryps Conflict until the end, with only special units getting more advanced machines in large numbers. The same happened to the Rock Zeeks, who were still fielding Gaza-Cs until near the end of ZZ (and when they stopped, it may have been because the fragile Gaza-Cs fell apart, rather than being retired). Only AEUG manages to nigh-completely switch its primary grunt MS in the middle of a conflict, and there it was likely because of the combination of gifting most of their original MS to Karaba and being directly (and hugely) supported by the largest manufacturer of MS.
X666S Legend

See that's not what I meant all I am saying is that after the exploration mission and after the discovery of evidence 01 they realized that there are also raw materials and power in space so I didnt say that they get the raw power from jupiter (of course jupiter's gravity is so strong) maybe they got the raw power somewhere in space that's how
Rey Za Burrel's Pokemon Team

Turtwig
Aipom
Corphish
Raichu
Recon 5

How about hydrogen? UC tech uses lots of Jovian hydrogen.