Beam saber against a sword.

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
blaze101
Location: Would say Halle Barry's boudoir, but she had a kid. So, yeah...<_<

Hmm......well, I always wondered in the case of anti-ship sword vs. beam saber, how come the anti-ship sword didn't win? I'd think the additional mass of the anti-ship sword would cause the beam saber to overload/explode.
This is what happens to ya if you mess with me--http://content.ytmnd.com/content/0/c/4/ ... fc861a.gif
Jak Crow

With the Destiny vs the Inf Justice, they fought for a while between the anti-ship sword and dual beam sword. It's hard to tell which direction Athrun hit Shinn's sword, but eventually he cut thru Shinn's sword. I suppose when tech levels are similar, an anti-ship sword doesn't necessarily have the upper hand.
wzy

This topic's a little old, but here's my take on the anti-ship sword vs beam saber:

The AS sword is called an AS sword because that's what it's for: cutting through dense capitol ships. So yes, it has a beam edge to help burn through armor, but it also has a lot of extra bulk behind it to improve inertia (that's why it is more effective against large targets like the Destroy Gundam, as seen when the ZAFT trio used their swords on it).

A beam saber could be used on a capitol ship, but the pilot would probably have to be more selective of their target. A typical beam saber wouldn't be able to cut through the main body of the ship easily, though a stab through the bridge would do just as well to take the ship down (again, the Destroy example of how Kira took it down with his saber via attacking the cockpit).

AS swords are not designed to fight against beam sabers, though they can be used against each other. The disadvantage of the AS sword is that there are more vulnerable areas where it can be broken. They are more useful underwater, however, as they have a non-beam edge to them (typically), assuming the beam saber is not powerful enough to be effective underwater (which I believe to be the case in at the very least the CE timeline. Not so sure about the UC, and at least for Deathscythe its beam weapon worked fine underwater in AC).
Gadget

Something from the Strike PG manual. It has a picture of the 3 packs and operational time. And the Sword Strike has got the longest operational time.

The beam edge of the ASS is a way to reduce power usage (?) and prolong operational time. Currently, we dun know what is the 'beam' made of. And both ASS and beam can cut through anything. And I'm not sure if mass will plays a part. Beam suppose to be almost massless.

My guess is that the Destiny could need more power, esp the WOL. SF is nuclear powered and it could have more power for the twin beam sabers.

Of course, the other argument is that a big sword could sell more models. I'm still wondering what is the big sword that came with the PG Strike? :wink:
Oruma

Gadget wrote:Of course, the other argument is that a big sword could sell more models. I'm still wondering what is the big sword that came with the PG Strike? :wink:
That's known as the Grand Slam, used in the non-canon Gundam Evolve episode 8.
"So...what does the Uncertainty Principle really mean?"
"Sorry, I'm not sure."
latenlazy

wzy wrote:This topic's a little old, but here's my take on the anti-ship sword vs beam saber:

The AS sword is called an AS sword because that's what it's for: cutting through dense capitol ships. So yes, it has a beam edge to help burn through armor, but it also has a lot of extra bulk behind it to improve inertia (that's why it is more effective against large targets like the Destroy Gundam, as seen when the ZAFT trio used their swords on it).

A beam saber could be used on a capitol ship, but the pilot would probably have to be more selective of their target. A typical beam saber wouldn't be able to cut through the main body of the ship easily, though a stab through the bridge would do just as well to take the ship down (again, the Destroy example of how Kira took it down with his saber via attacking the cockpit).

AS swords are not designed to fight against beam sabers, though they can be used against each other. The disadvantage of the AS sword is that there are more vulnerable areas where it can be broken. They are more useful underwater, however, as they have a non-beam edge to them (typically), assuming the beam saber is not powerful enough to be effective underwater (which I believe to be the case in at the very least the CE timeline. Not so sure about the UC, and at least for Deathscythe its beam weapon worked fine underwater in AC).
I would contend that the AS Sword are not quite as disadvantaged against regular beam sabers as commonly believed. While it's true that the AS Sword has more vulnerable points, they have the benefit of being very effective shield breakers and bludgeoning weapons that can disorient the opponent.
Vate

Let us not be forgetting how well those ancient GINN swords cut through Zaku armor during the Break the World incident.
wzy

Vate wrote:Let us not be forgetting how well those ancient GINN swords cut through Zaku armor during the Break the World incident.
True, but they were catching the Zakus by surprise, so they didn't have time to draw their weapons. And the Zaku doesn't have any type of phase shift armor, so the normal Ginn sword should be able to cut it.

Does anyone know if the Ginn Hight Maneuver 2 (the ones that use the katana from Destiny in the Break the World Incident) uses a special type of heavy sword (other than the fact that it's a katana rather than a broadsword), and by special, I mean something like a beam coat or special edge (or anything that would give it an edge over a typical heavy sword)?
Scorpio[pt]

Jak Crow wrote:With the Destiny vs the Inf Justice, they fought for a while between the anti-ship sword and dual beam sword. It's hard to tell which direction Athrun hit Shinn's sword, but eventually he cut thru Shinn's sword. I suppose when tech levels are similar, an anti-ship sword doesn't necessarily have the upper hand.
the first time athrun hit Destiny's arm not the ASS
Don't take life too seriously.....no-one's getting out alive.
Vate

Scorpio[pt] wrote:the first time athrun hit Destiny's arm not the ASS
True, but you also made me lol.
Scorpio[pt]

Vate wrote:
why? :shock:
Don't take life too seriously.....no-one's getting out alive.
T.V.

ass... :ph34r:

Anti-ship Swords would be pretty unwieldy in an MS vs MS fight, I believe.
Or at least, that would be the case.. if Gundam productions would respect Newton's third law.. :p
Vate

T.V. wrote:ass... :ph34r:

Anti-ship Swords would be pretty unwieldy in an MS vs MS fight, I believe.
Or at least, that would be the case.. if Gundam productions would respect Newton's third law.. :p
But they would are cool buster sword-like things--prolly why they were introduced to the world of gundam.
Scorpio[pt] wrote:
Vate wrote:
why? :shock:
Sorry, that was uncalled for.

Anyways, new point:

The Destiny was also equipped with one of the latest versions of the anti ship sword which obviously means waay more momentum than an ordinary sword. A new hyper deuterion nuclear reactor prolly gives it waay more strength than an average gundam. Then the wings of light gives it what is called "phenomenal acceleration" or "high speed movement" depending on the source, prolly making it the fastest [accelerating] top tier Gundam in the CE timeline so far.

So my question is this. Why are the Infinite Justice and Strike Freedom able to parry his sword attacks so easily??w
T.V.

Because they're equally able to ignore Newton's third law.

That's imho the short answer, both in and out universe.
The longwinded answer:

Destiny Gundam needs either be incredibly heavy, have some exotic (anti-)gravity technology, or needs to be "cool" in order to slice a ship with such a weapon.
Otherwise he'd just swing himself, instead of the sword.

Since I-Justice and S-Freedom are: at least as "cool", and/or have similar technologies behind them as Destiny Gundam, they're able to draw upon the same abilities that enable Destiny to swing its sword, enabling them in return to parry him.
Vate

Recon 5 wrote:
In fact, when a beam sword (one with a large emitter like an AS Sword, not a beam saber) is not activated, a skillful pilot could grab and break it with the hands of his MS.

As for beam sabers, well, There's a reason why they stopped using the Heavy Swords in combat, you know...
Oh, is that what Chaos did in his first battle against the Impulse? Weird, a sword should be designed to take much more punishment than that, even for a physical blade...
T.V. wrote:Because they're equally able to ignore Newton's third law.

That's imho the short answer, both in and out universe.
The longwinded answer:

Destiny Gundam needs either be incredibly heavy, have some exotic (anti-)gravity technology, or needs to be "cool" in order to slice a ship with such a weapon.
Otherwise he'd just swing himself, instead of the sword.

Since I-Justice and S-Freedom are: at least as "cool", and/or have similar technologies behind them as Destiny Gundam, they're able to draw upon the same abilities that enable Destiny to swing its sword, enabling them in return to parry him.
Um, he can cut thru battleships because of the beam sword on one edge. Hm, if this same beam sword can easily cut through Zamza-Zah and even a Destroy Gundam, I guess the Anti-Ship Sword was still used for the Destiny just for the purpose of conserving battery power as mentioned before.

Still, you're probably right to neglect physics when Destiny swordfights with Justice in Freedom, since I haven't seen any other explanation for it. Idk, by their sheer coolness?