Deathscythe mid, long range weapon?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Aegis

Gelmax wrote: Long-range would mean, in the context of Gundam Wing, "far enough away that one of the melee-only Gundams couldn't just fly right up and cut them open". I'd prefer to use "long enough to sit back and snipe" as the definition, but Gundam Wing didn't really have anything capable of both the range and precision necessary to do that.
Eh... if we're going in the context of Gundam in general, that is more of an issue of whether the one doing the shooting can actually hit the intended opponent more than anything as opposed to being 'far enough'. Otherwise, by that definition, the only mobile suits I can think of that fits the profile of 'sit back and shoot' would be the Zanneck of Victory Gundam, and the Dynames with that big farkin' gun. They're otherwise far enough; just hope that they don't spot you so they can actually close in to kill you.
auriga

Guys, let's please not get into debating what "long range" means. The thread is basically "if the Deathscythe were to have a gun/projectile weapon, what would it be like?" Making a simple question more complicated just gets us nowhere.
Bord

Aegis wrote:
Gelmax wrote: Long-range would mean, in the context of Gundam Wing, "far enough away that one of the melee-only Gundams couldn't just fly right up and cut them open". I'd prefer to use "long enough to sit back and snipe" as the definition, but Gundam Wing didn't really have anything capable of both the range and precision necessary to do that.
Eh... if we're going in the context of Gundam in general, that is more of an issue of whether the one doing the shooting can actually hit the intended opponent more than anything as opposed to being 'far enough'. Otherwise, by that definition, the only mobile suits I can think of that fits the profile of 'sit back and shoot' would be the Zanneck of Victory Gundam, and the Dynames with that big farkin' gun. They're otherwise far enough; just hope that they don't spot you so they can actually close in to kill you.
Wing Gundam Zero has been shown to hit targets from very long distances as well. :lol: At episode 40 it was blasting Virgos from a high altitude. Though, it didn't just sit there, it flew down and went melee. Just goes to show that Wing MS can be pretty darn accurate too. But with a buster rifle, who needs to aim precisely when the sheer heat of the blast can kill enemies.

Going back to Deathscythe, yeah, it doesn't need more weapons. When it got upgraded to D-Hell, it's active cloak provided it with actual invisiblity (yes, it was literally invisible to the naked eye like the Blitz Gundam) and it got faster too.
abrahamsen0

Yes what you guys are saying is good, but the topic is what would be a good range weapon design for any version of the Deathscythe. I was thinking beams from the eyes. That would keep it's mean look and design without slapping a giant cannon or rifle on it. Any ideas?
Gelmax

Well, the reason the topic's not getting addressed, I think, is because it's a question that can't really be answered, since it is completely subjective, depends entirely on opinion, and has no right answer or wrong answer. It's not something that facts can be used to answer.

As for eyebeams, they're likely impossible in Wing, since that would require making a ranged beam weapon more compact than any that was portrayed in the series, and still leave enough room for the delicate sensors to function appropriately, plus you'd have to deal with the heat, and the fact that putting sensors in such close proximity to beam weapons would probably briefly blind the suit every time they were fired.

It's likely, too, that the scientist in charge of designing Deathscythe didn't know how to make a decent beam rifle, or at the very least it wasn't his expertise. Portable beam weaponry appropriate for mounting on a mobile suit likely hadn't been invented yet when the Wing scientists left OZ, and although the Gundam scientists (and, indeed, OZ itself) did beam sabers and other beam melee weaponry just fine, none of the Gundams were equipped with beam rifles or other ranged beam weapons, except of course Wing and Wing Zero.
Bord

Well, if you're asking me an opinion on what long range weapons should be put on the DS then i would say... Bat-Shaped funnels! :) Hehehehe. Kidding aside, Deathscythe wouldn't probably look that cool of it was using a gun. Besides, most of the weapons that OZ MS used were barely capable of scratching Gundanium alloy. It's the equivalent of a samurai warrior fighting opponents who only have water guns. You wouldn't have to worry about just using a melee weapon, because you know the most your enemies can do is irritate you. :lol:

And it's probably not because Professor G doesn't know how to make beam a beam rifle. Leos who have been in OZ service were using them long before the Gundams appeared in AC 195. The Beam Scythe which was shown as capable of operating underwater means that possesses technology superior to beam sabers and beam rifles.
auriga

Eyebeams? We're talking about the Deathscythe, not... The Grungust (first thing that popped into my head).
Aegis

Gelmax wrote:It's likely, too, that the scientist in charge of designing Deathscythe didn't know how to make a decent beam rifle, or at the very least it wasn't his expertise. Portable beam weaponry appropriate for mounting on a mobile suit likely hadn't been invented yet when the Wing scientists left OZ, and although the Gundam scientists (and, indeed, OZ itself) did beam sabers and other beam melee weaponry just fine, none of the Gundams were equipped with beam rifles or other ranged beam weapons, except of course Wing and Wing Zero.
In the TV series, Heavyarms' gatlings were also beam weapons themselves. Doesn't make much sense, but those are supposed to be beam sprays.

Aside from the fact that Professor G developed a melee weapon capable of operating underwater, it is also that much more difficult to believe that he wouldn't have the knowledge to develop even a simple beam rifle when he was heavily involved in the creation of Wing Zero (TBR), the Vayeate (beam cannon), and the Altron (tail cannon). In such a situation, you'd think that he'd have at least taken some of those design features and develop a rifle of his own if that were the case, especially given the fact that there were beam firing mobile suits even before the likes of the Taurus and Virgo. It's much safer to say that the DS was developed the way it was because of its intended function as a hit and run melee unit as opposed to any sort of lack of knowledge in making a beam cannon.
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

http://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/tielsi ... -01dg2.htm

Someone decided to jam the Hydra's shoulder claws onto Deathscythe, so it seems. They do have beam cannons in them if I remember correctly? I think it kind of clashes with this mobile suit's style though. (Note: I only posted this as an example. Otherwise, I despise absolutely everything about Tiel's Impulse....except the Tenlong's color scheme. The Tenlong's color scheme is awesome.)

If you want a suggestion, I suppose the Deathscythe would be pretty happy with funnels, but then, everybody could use funnels if you ask me! =p Go! Funnels!! I can't imagine the technology and control scheme being that much different from the planet defensers already in use during AC.

Also, I don't know why, but I get the feeling that Deathscythe Hell would be really awesome with a belly cannon like the Sazabi. The mounting of this weapon doesn't conflict with the mobile suit's aesthetics, and it's not something that would conflict with its combat style. You'd only have to change the position of the cockpit. It's also really easy for me to picture the Deathscythe Hell using this weapon for some reason. Just a suggestion.
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
Recon 5

Speaking of defensers, I wonder how much it would take for them to be converted into small beam cannons instead of shield protectors. They could have made a point- defense Virgo/ Mercurius variant with those, and back them up with standard models.

As for aesthetic positioning of a ranged weapon, I'd lean more towards a mouth cannon rather than a belly cannon. Fits with the theme that the various versions seem to be going with. Finger guns would be even cooler (but only if technology permits, of course).

On another note, the Guilty Custom is just begging for a hyper mode :D.