Beam Boomerangs?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Celestial Gundam

Beam Boomerangs?

As you all know, the CE universe has a weapon known as the Beam Boomerang, which is pretty much a boomerang with beam technology. I like the concept and all, but I've had one question and that is how it works (In terms of working like an actual boomerang)?

I've had two theories on how this might work:

1. The boomerang has some sort of thrusters attached to it's body that allow it to fly back to the user (or backwards at least). The beam itself my even attribute to this action.

2. It uses the same physics of boomerangs, simple and a little harder to think about, but still a possibility.

So feel free to discuss anything on this topic or interject any ideas of your own.
ZGMF-X291A Celestial Gundam
Recon 5

Beam boomerangs have never been depicted with thrusters on their main bodies (in fact, none of the beam boomerangs in CE even have the shape a real boomerang would require to curve in flight and return to its user.

Theoretically, though, all it would need would be (at least) an aerodynamic form and a thruster at one end so that it spins about an axis in flight. The lack of these and other supporting characteristics is probably a design oversight, as they are clearly not meant to be primary weapons, despite the fact that Shinn uses them quite often.
stormturmoil

It doesn't need to be thrusters.

Given that it is a powered launch (I.e. it's thrown) it could just have a set of internal gyroscopes that cause it to circle and return.
aka010101

Eh. You have to remember, this is SEED technology, Logic doesnt need to apply.
The whole concept is a little shaky , i mean , what if the target is hit with , instead of the beam blade, the handle? It wouldn't do much damage then and may very well destroy the boomerang.
The whole thing really isn't very practical really.
But then again , SEED often edges close to being a super robot show at times, so weapons like this arent too surprising.
quasadra

true, not mention that you have to pretty much stand still to get the boomerang back. i will not do that when under fire.
SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SEA IGN: 8bitNPC
Gadget

Not really true. You can catch it when moving. I got a rang. In fact, it's harder to catch standing still.

BTY, anyone ever watch Mad Max 2. The Feral Kid threw a steel bommerang, and a waste land punk tries to catch it. His fingers got sliced off instead. So how does the Destiny catches the rang. And auto beam 'off' switch?

I know the is not UC. but the shape of the beam on the rangs could be change to be more aerodynamic. Isn't this how Zoloat (V-Gundam) flies with it's beam rotor?
quasadra

i dont have a boomerang, its just a guess. but i think it will restrict your movement anyway since you have to chase after it.

i say instead of a boomerang, a throwing knife will be much better.
SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SEA IGN: 8bitNPC
Duraham

the thing here is that aerodynamics doesn't necessary apply. you see those beam boomerangs (or beamerangs for short) getting thrown and returning even in space.
Celestial Gundam

Maybe they could have some sort of computer controlled functions such as the return feature and an "auto-beam cut-off" of some kind. But yeah, the CE era does have a reputation for not explaining much.
ZGMF-X291A Celestial Gundam
razgriz

hehe that kind of reminds me of the homing "smart" bat-arang that was in batman returns (the 2nd old movie with michael keaton). did a great job in picking out its predetermined enemies, well until the dog caught it :lol:
setsuna: I AM A GUNDAM!!!
graham: I AM A FLAG!!!
(setsuna giggling)
graham: NO!! i said FLLLAG!
Gadget

razgriz wrote:hehe that kind of reminds me of the homing "smart" bat-arang that was in batman returns (the 2nd old movie with michael keaton). did a great job in picking out its predetermined enemies, well until the dog caught it :lol:
Soooo, the Gaia in dog mode or a BuCUE is gonna to catch it :wink:

Personally, the saberangs could be use as short meelee knives.
Dark Duel

Well, the older models like the Midas Messer the Earth Alliance uses and the Flash Edge developed by ZAFT.
The Flash Edge II functions as a full-length beam saber.

Personally, even in the days of the Sword Strike I thought the idea of the boomerang somewhat silly. I mean, you're throwing a weapon away and expecting it to return, but there's a chance it won't.
That's a risk I'd rather not take.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Gadget

It did damage the Akatsuki. No amount of beam blast could damage that MS. Beside, the Minerva got lot's of spare saberanges. So it's not like one of those personal customise weapons.
Commissar Bright Noa

I think that the beam boomerang goes like such:

It is thrown and then the MS's computer plots a random course for the boomerang to follow and them as the boomerang comes back to the MS due to a signal produced by the MS to the boomerang and then to the MS's hand. I don't know if this would work but I'm going to guess that the beam boomerang would decrease its speed when it came close to the MS and then make the handle be the part the MS grabbed by using a guiding system.

I don't really like the beam boomerangs myself and the other really dumb thing about them is when there being used as short beam sabers instead of their main purpose. (I'm looking at you Destiny.)
Albireo_818

Commissar Bright Noa wrote:I think that the beam boomerang goes like such:

It is thrown and then the MS's computer plots a random course for the boomerang to follow and them as the boomerang comes back to the MS due to a signal produced by the MS to the boomerang and then to the MS's hand. I don't know if this would work but I'm going to guess that the beam boomerang would decrease its speed when it came close to the MS and then make the handle be the part the MS grabbed by using a guiding system.
Yes. it could be controlled "automatically", like the Gundam's hand functions in U.C. As the beam returned, via a computer-controlled system, the gyroscopic stabilisers inside would slow the rate of spin and cut off the beam. Or even wire-guided. :lol:
Celestial Gundam wrote:Maybe they could have some sort of computer controlled functions such as the return feature and an "auto-beam cut-off" of some kind.
I always thought of the beamarang as a kind of early DRAGOON system, controlled by a quantum computer and all. But, since it is very simple, and doesnt need to be constantly manoevered like a wired gunbarell, naturals could pilot it :wink:

This also brings back questions about the Deathscythe's Buster Shield. Its the same principal, basically...

BTW: Do "Beamarangs" appear in any other gundam series?
Call me Albireo or Al, without the _818
"A Clever person solves the problem. The wise person avoids it!"-Albert Einstein
Commissar Bright Noa

Albireo_818 wrote:
This also brings back questions about the Deathscythe's Buster Shield. Its the same principal, basically...
I always thought the Buster Shield exploded after it being fired.
Duraham

nope, except for maybe 0083 stardust memory, where gato throws his saber out.

then again, its not in an offensive manner.
razgriz

no i thought the DS buster shield was made to tear ass through whatever unlucky leo-driving schmuck was in front of it and then return at a predetermined point since its construction was robust enough to run through a ms and survive without a scratch. of course we are talkin about wing here :lol:
setsuna: I AM A GUNDAM!!!
graham: I AM A FLAG!!!
(setsuna giggling)
graham: NO!! i said FLLLAG!
Albireo_818

razgriz wrote: of course we are talkin about wing here :lol:
Exactly. :wink:
Call me Albireo or Al, without the _818
"A Clever person solves the problem. The wise person avoids it!"-Albert Einstein
Gadget

Anyone who ever watch 'Marine Boy' will think that a boomerange is an offensive weapon. His boomerange will give his target an electric shock.

From my time in the Outback, returning bomeranges are NOT weapons. They are mainly use to frighten birds so that they could hunt them down. Offensive bomerange will NOT return to thrower. They a more like ovesizer ninjar throwing stars.