Sliding Shield

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Dark Duel

Maelstromm wrote:IIRC, there was a moment where a beam saber of the Aile Strike struck the Providence's shield which clearly has PS Armor, I believe
No, the Providence's shield is NOT Phase-Shift armored.
Watch the Providence's launch sequence carefully and you will see that the whole body is colored that dark blue-gray except for the shield, which is light gray.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Casval Rem Daikun

The extended shield would be something of a mobility hindrance, and would probably get in the way in close combat. The collapsed version would perform the role of a buckler, which given the melee weapons the Zeon had, makes sense. It's not intended for wholesale blocking, but rather deflection and the occasional forearm smash.

On the flip side, a buckler would be fairly useless in protecting against a ranged attack, or for peeking through from a concealed position to get a target lock. The only time I could see using the extended shield in close combat would be if you needed to charge into multiple units to break out or push them back. In that scenario you wouldn't be so much dueling as ramming them and trying to keep your own limbs intact so you can either keep going after breaking through, or retreat after pushing them back.
yukikaze

Maelstromm wrote:I know that it's been discussed before, but what are the rectifications of a Phase Shift Armored Shield with Anti-Beam Coating? IIRC, there was a moment where a beam saber of the Aile Strike struck the Providence's shield which clearly has PS Armor, I believe this is it. Could we simply chalk this up to an animation oversight?
the strike does have PS, its just that on that model they couldnt mold the sheild seperatly to reproduce its real color. as for providence, its possible that either 1. it doesnt have PS on its sheild, or 2. doesnt PS deteriorate over time (although providence was brand spanking new).
Red Zaku wrote:I agree with the space saver but a smaller shield is also easier to manuever then a large bulky shield. The fac tit folds makes it much easier to rapidly deflect a blow, then a cumbersome long shield, because it gives the arm much more flexibility as it can now move without the top of the shield striking the shoulder, and still provided a decent coverage area.
that would make sense, exept that in most cases it is shown that the TOPS of the sheilds are stationary, and its the bottoms that slide. this can be found in GO4, GO5, and all of the iterations of GP01 ever made. the only exeption to this is a scene in 0083 showing the top "pop" up.
Still waiting on that MG V2 Bandai...
Recon 5

If I recall, the Impulse (and the Strike, maybe) had sliding shields. In the case of the Impulse, the Sword Impulse had a ridiculously small shield which expanded when the Impulse switched to the Force Silhouette.

However, what I'd like to know is the purpose of that green shield- shaped flash that appears when the shield expands. Is it some kind of forcefield technology (a positron deflector :shock: maybe?).
yukikaze

Recon 5 wrote:If I recall, the Impulse (and the Strike, maybe) had sliding shields. In the case of the Impulse, the Sword Impulse had a ridiculously small shield which expanded when the Impulse switched to the Force Silhouette.

However, what I'd like to know is the purpose of that green shield- shaped flash that appears when the shield expands. Is it some kind of forcefield technology (a positron deflector :shock: maybe?).
yup, impulse (and destiny) had those rediculusly tiny sheilds. at least impulse's was larger when it opened. no one (i remember a thread about this) exactly knows what that green flash was for, some people though is may be some sort of energy feild activating, while others say it was just a visual effect to look cool.
Still waiting on that MG V2 Bandai...
Commissar Bright Noa

yukikaze wrote:
Recon 5 wrote:If I recall, the Impulse (and the Strike, maybe) had sliding shields. In the case of the Impulse, the Sword Impulse had a ridiculously small shield which expanded when the Impulse switched to the Force Silhouette.

yup, impulse (and destiny) had those rediculusly tiny sheilds. at least impulse's was larger when it opened. no one (i remember a thread about this) exactly knows what that green flash was for, some people though is may be some sort of energy feild activating, while others say it was just a visual effect to look cool.
I'm going to take a swing at the green flash thing and say that its the precursor to the beam shield. The Impulse didn't have enough energy to produce a full beam shield and thus used a beam/solid shield hybrid.
Duraham

wait, wasn't that green flash just refering to the anti-beam coating or whatnot activating?

notice that Shinn was able to pull off the beam bouncing off the shield thing like a mirror move when the shield was extended, during his fight with kira tomato.
Commissar Bright Noa

Duraham wrote:wait, wasn't that green flash just refering to the anti-beam coating or whatnot activating?

notice that Shinn was able to pull off the beam bouncing off the shield thing like a mirror move when the shield was extended, during his fight with kira tomato.
But anti beam coating doesn't need to be activated from what I know because the Strike had an anti beam shield coating and his shield never had to activate.
stormturmoil

also, Correction. The shield was folded when Shinn bounced the beam off it in phase 34.

admittedly, it may be an always on function, and we only see the flash when it opnes.
Maelstromm

Dark Duel wrote:
Maelstromm wrote:IIRC, there was a moment where a beam saber of the Aile Strike struck the Providence's shield which clearly has PS Armor, I believe
No, the Providence's shield is NOT Phase-Shift armored.
Watch the Providence's launch sequence carefully and you will see that the whole body is colored that dark blue-gray except for the shield, which is light gray.
Well, according to GundamOfficial.com, the Providence's shield also has PS armor...
Gahh!!! My kingdom for a signature!!!!
Any takers?
Dark Duel

That lineart is inaccurate. Series on-screen evidence very clearly contradicts it. I don't have my DVDs here, but when I get home I'll post the relevant screenshot.
stormturmoil wrote:also, Correction. The shield was folded when Shinn bounced the beam off it in phase 34.
It was indeed open when the episode aired originally, but it's shown open in the US DVD-release.

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Maelstromm

Let me save you the trouble. Anyway, I could be wrong, but the color of the backpack in this screen shot almost looks like it's the same color as the shield...
Any takers?
azrael

The unfortunate thing is, the gray color of Providence makes it hard to tell. The thing is mostly gray with or without PS armor.
Maelstromm

But in the picture before last that I provided, the PS down color of the Providence is a dark navy blue...
Any takers?
Dark Duel

No, you can tell if you look closely that it's not.
If you look at the image closely, you'll see that the backpack is the same dark blue as the upper arm.
Now, compare the upper arm to the color of the shield, and you should see that the color of the shield and the color of the upper arm do not match. Like the shoulders, legs, waist, backpack and head, the upper arm is a dark blue-gray color, while the shield is light gray.

The correct version of the "Phase-Shift Down" Providence lineart should be like this: http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/7731/80575310wk4.png

(Since we're talking about the Providence, I will point out one fundamental difference between it and the other XA-series MS: The cockpit hatch is in the traditional lower-torso location as opposed to the upper-torso hatch common to the X09A, X10A and X12A(can't speak for the X11A)

Wingnut

Dark Duel wrote:No, you can tell if you look closely that it's not.
If you look at the image closely, you'll see that the backpack is the same dark blue as the upper arm.
Now, compare the upper arm to the color of the shield, and you should see that the color of the shield and the color of the upper arm do not match. Like the shoulders, legs, waist, backpack and head, the upper arm is a dark blue-gray color, while the shield is light gray.

The correct version of the "Phase-Shift Down" Providence lineart should be like this: http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/7731/80575310wk4.png

(Since we're talking about the Providence, I will point out one fundamental difference between it and the other XA-series MS: The cockpit hatch is in the traditional lower-torso location as opposed to the upper-torso hatch common to the X09A, X10A and X12A(can't speak for the X11A)
Screencaps in this case are the only relyable source aside from the official lineart at Gundamofficial. BTW, this is off topic as there are no sliding shields in the CE that I'm aware of aside from the Impulse and the Destiny never used its shield.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Nightwing03

I could've sworn this topic was about sliding shields, i dont even know how it got into CE. Although the Impulse's shield sorta slides, this topic is about the U.C Sliding shield.

Anyway, The main reasons people have said are:
1)Save Space for storage
2)Thicker, So more Defense
3)Used in small for when the G04/05 use the their beam cannon or gatling gun

Not sure about the shield being used as a melee weapon. seems highly unrealistic, aside the shield being used to shove into another MS.
♣♦♠♥
razgriz

unless the shield can unretract as fast as the jackhammer shield on wing zero it wouldnt be very good as an offensive weapon, well unless the ms is already charging very fast, or your pilot can pull of some sort of tactical miracle which isnt too far off in the gundamverse :lol:
setsuna: I AM A GUNDAM!!!
graham: I AM A FLAG!!!
(setsuna giggling)
graham: NO!! i said FLLLAG!
mcred23

The closest thing I can think of off the type of my head to shields being weapons are the shields used by the -79[G] units on Earth, which had those long prongs that might serve as weapons, and Zeon's Knuckle Shield. Of course, that's not counting shields that have weapons built into them (Like the Jegan's, or even the Galbaldy β's sliding shield, which had a pair of missiles).

However, the idea that a sliding shield on it's own would be a weapon strikes me as odd (For lack of a better word). It's not really different from a basic shield that we see oh-so-many MS carry, and those rarely used as weapons (And I have the image in my head of somebody with a sliding shield trying to stab at another MS with the shield, only to break the sliding part clean off :|).

EDIT: Corrected something.
Last edited by mcred23 on Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
CHASER

mcred23 wrote:(And I have the image in my head of somebody with a sliding shield trying to stab at another MS with the shield, only to break the sliding park clean off :|).
I can see that too, and it could serve as an explanation as to why folding/sliding shields aren't very common. For something that is designed to take the main impact of enemy attacks, a folding mechanism just gives it a weak point where it's most likely to break, as opposed to a solid piece of metal. Not to mention, realistically, moving parts to a shield would strike me as something that would be prone to jamming after a few impacts.
HellCat wrote:
ShadowCell wrote:I'm skipping this one if it's in suppository form, though. Like, I like Gundam, but not that friggin' much.
They decided against that because most Gundam fans already have something up their butt.