Sliding Shield

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
mcred23

And when you factor in beam weapons, which are likely to rip right through the shield and screw up (If not destroy outright) the folding/sliding/whatever-movement mechanism, it does become pretty clear. It wouldn't take much for that fairly minor advanatge (Whose uses are somewhat limited and not always clear) to be taken away, which can be chalked up as another reason why moveable shields are used on so few MS (Particularly grunts, with the Galblady β and Geara Doga being two of the few cases where a MP unit had a moveable shield, one that slid and one that folded, respectively).
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
razgriz

of course if desparation calls for you can hold it like how a wrestler holds a folding chair and do some smashy smashing :lol:
setsuna: I AM A GUNDAM!!!
graham: I AM A FLAG!!!
(setsuna giggling)
graham: NO!! i said FLLLAG!
bluemax151

mcred23 wrote:The closest thing I can think of off the type of my head to shields being weapons are the shields used by the -79[G] units on Earth, which had those long prongs that might serve as weapons
The Model and the HCM Pro use the prongs on the shield for digging into the ground to use as a fire base for the 180mm cannon. I don't recall it ever being animated being used as a weapon but the obvious deduction is if it can pierce assorted types of earth/rock it can used offensively too.

In RFTA at least it's most definitely used offensively.
こいつ が ガンダム か
RIP John Neil Seward Jr/Jack Seward 10/11/1924-11/10/2010
mcred23

bluemax151 wrote: The Model and the HCM Pro use the prongs on the shield for digging into the ground to use as a fire base for the 180mm cannon. I don't recall it ever being animated being used as a weapon but the obvious deduction is if it can pierce assorted types of earth/rock it can used offensively too.

It is used for digging into the ground, as that's shown in the show. I was saying that, given the prongs, that they probably could be used as weapons, even if that wasn't their intended purpose.
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
domtropen

The shield is used to punch Zaku head in promotional footage.
J-Lead

domtropen wrote:The shield is used to punch Zaku head in promotional footage.
...And to knock a Zeek da fuck out in the Lost War Chronicles manga.
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
Nightwing03

bluemax151 wrote: The Model and the HCM Pro use the prongs on the shield for digging into the ground to use as a fire base for the 180mm cannon. I don't recall it ever being animated being used as a weapon but the obvious deduction is if it can pierce assorted types of earth/rock it can used offensively too.

Well, i think thats highly credible is the Mass produced Gundam's shields didn't have prongs and they were able to be use as a fire base. So the smaller shield might be used for that.
♣♦♠♥