D.E.W Interception

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Duraham

well, in that case do it Providence style, by producing a "beam net" that acts as a anti-missile barrier.
Albireo_818

Duraham wrote:well, in that case do it Providence style, by producing a "beam net" that acts as a anti-missile barrier.
That's the way i though it would be done...
But could that really be sustained for long enough running on battery power (as most CE MS do)
Call me Albireo or Al, without the _818
"A Clever person solves the problem. The wise person avoids it!"-Albert Einstein
Wingnut

Albireo_818 wrote:
Duraham wrote:well, in that case do it Providence style, by producing a "beam net" that acts as a anti-missile barrier.
That's the way i though it would be done...
But could that really be sustained for long enough running on battery power (as most CE MS do)
I highly doubt it. The Providence could pull it off as it had a nuclear reactor to recharge the system with, but even the most energy efficient MS wouldn't be able to keep that up for more than a couple minutes if even that long.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Duraham

but what if we use it for huge installations, like say an entire base?

well, the DOME in Gundam X has a similiar line of defense, using remote bits to shoot down not just missiles, but even enemy units.
Gadget

How about the side missile on Space Battleship Yamato. Didn't some capital ship like the Archangel have anti-beam depth charges. They could replace it with Yamato's anit missile system.

I'm not really fond of using DRAGOONs as anti missile system. Power is not an issue if it is deploy from a capital chip. It just that I think they make good targets. Shot of Neo using it as a sheild to protect the Archangel, DRAGOONs are offensive weapons.
Maelstromm

I kinda surprised that this thread ran for so long without anyone actually bringing up the Nu's Fin Funnels...I mean, since they have their own on-board reactor, there's no worry about power and they have the added function of being able to generate a beam shield.

Of course I realize that not everyone is a newtype, but I'm just throwing this point out. Maybe these 'Fin Funnels' could be revised for non-newtype use and since it's most likely, be adapted for capital ship use only...since I doubt that every other suit can be as powerful as the Nu...
Gahh!!! My kingdom for a signature!!!!
Any takers?
Duraham

well, thing is: not feasible in UC, but in other universes, why not?

as you already know, minovinsky particles = no remote weapons or heck, even communications. unless you are a newtype, of course.

either way, someone brought up the akatsuki's, which kinda works the same way as the fin funnels, except the onboard reactors.
Maelstromm

That's a thought, now to solve the other issues...I think that there's something known as the DRAGOON Flyer for SEED Destiny Astray right? Now, if we could implement the concept of the DRAGOON Flyer with the Akatsuki's DRAGOONs we could could have ourselves an automated missile/ MS hunting 'hound pack'...
Any takers?
quasadra

in this case we should built our entire space fleet unmaned :lol:

jokes aside, that would be too complicated for anti missile, we better send it for strike mission.
SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SEA IGN: 8bitNPC
Gelmax

Missile defense is supposed to be a temporary thing, only maintained until you can kill the missiles' source or the source runs out of ammo. Against something with a few missiles, like a mobile suit, diverting a DRAGOON from whatever it's doing to intercept a few missiles before they hit you, considering the range they're likely to be fired at in mobile suit combat, is not only a poor bet but a waste of time and energy and concentration. Against something with a lot of missiles, like a capital ship, using a DRAGOON just to hunt down missiles is going to get you killed eventually.

If bits/funnels were meant to be defensive weapons, they'd be mounted all over the mobile suit so that they wouldn't have to launch to fire in all directions.
Maelstromm

I meant for the combined DRAGOON flyer/ shield system to be a specialized independent missile/ MS hunting system as opposed to being controlled by a MS, if not, at least it could be controlled like the Pergrande in SEED Astray B. And I'm not opposed to this system being refined for for specific missions like strike missions etc, and that aside, like I said before, it's just a thought...
Any takers?
auriga

To relegate such a complex and expensive system to simply hunt missiles would be... What's the word, impractical?

That was pretty much the gist of Gelmax's statement:
It's not a measure of "possible", it's a measure of "efficient".
I'm sure we can all come up with multiple ways of intercepting such targets, however many of those alternatives would either be:

1. Impractical, especially if it is solely created for such a task, or
2. Overkill, meaning you waste energy to the point that it's impractical

That's pretty much why vulcans/SMGs/MGs became the weapons of choice for such tasks, as they can be used on pretty much any target. Vulcans also have the added incentive of being handy in close combat.
Duraham

eh wait, why would they even bother with missile defense when there's phrase-shift armour? (applies to CE only)
Destroy Gundam

Getting hit would drain the battery's power, IIRC. And since phase shift drains power even when nothing else is happening (getting hit, firing/activating an energy weapon), it's better to shoot down the missiles to minimize the power drain and the chance of something wrong happening.

Plus, if we're talking about ships, the only thing larger than a mobile suit that I recall having PS armor was GENESIS. Ships have more systems to power than a mobile suit does.
REGENE: (Grins) Any last words, Buuuuur-ing?
(Bring just grits his teeth and the Garazzo’s escape pod breaks off from its main body, flying straight up.)
REGENE: (Shakes head) Right then. Forgot we don’t talk on Planet You.
Albireo_818

Destroy Gundam wrote:Getting hit would drain the battery's power, IIRC. And since phase shift drains power even when nothing else is happening (getting hit, firing/activating an energy weapon), it's better to shoot down the missiles to minimize the power drain and the chance of something wrong happening.
So do it SF style-nuke-power your battery!
Call me Albireo or Al, without the _818
"A Clever person solves the problem. The wise person avoids it!"-Albert Einstein
quasadra

seriously, a MS can be fitted with a nuke and get endless power supply, but a warship much bigger cant. what kind of tech is this :roll:
ShadowCell

Uh, you guys are really grasping to make this idea work.

Cosmic Era ships never seem to run out of power, so it's safe to assume that they've got some kind of energy source that is not available to mobile suits.
quasadra

thats so true, warship in CE can have more firepower than a military fortress and suffer no energy problem for the looks of it.
auriga

So do it SF style-nuke-power your battery!
As they already mentioned, ships already have some sort of perpetual energy source. But if we go back to the other aspect of your thread, not all MSes have nuclear reactors, nor is it economically feasible to give even every prototype mech (meaning excluding mass-produced) a nuclear reactor and N-jammer canceller.

Also, is Phase-Shift really the most efficient way of solving this problem? I mean, equipping an entire ship with PS as compared to simply mounting turrets? Think of it this way, PS only solves defensive problems - not necessarily offensive ones. If you want your ship to pack firepower, you're going to have to spend more on weapons. IMO, it's much cheaper to just deck your ships with tons of vulcans; this way, you're solving both defense and offense.
Gelmax

ShadowCell wrote:Uh, you guys are really grasping to make this idea work.

Cosmic Era ships never seem to run out of power, so it's safe to assume that they've got some kind of energy source that is not available to mobile suits.
That doesn't mean it's okay to be wasteful. Advanced technology is generally expensive and complex, and power consumption is still an issue for the ninety-eight percent of any army which doesn't have unlimited power - and even then, that only applies to Cosmic Era technology. In every other Gundam universe, EVERY mobile suit is nuclear-powered, yet it's still quite possible for a mobile suit to be drained of power after using heavy beam weaponry; although I can't think of any instance of this actually happening anywhere besides UC, that's because in other continuities, the big guns usually weren't directly powered by the suit's reactor.

Unlimited power does not mean you can use as much power as you want, it means you don't have to worry about refueling as long as the mobile suit's power consumption doesn't exceed the reactor's power output.