Beam Shotguns?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
ORegan

Beam Shotguns?

Is there any MS in UC to have a beam shotgun as a close range weapon? I know hte Kampfer had a standard shotgun(which is also the last time i even hear of any MS wielding a standard shotgun) but have never heard of anything about beam shotguns.

Would it be possible for and faction to make them, and how effective would they be?
mcred23 wrote: Well... it's official: O'Regan is the next Hitler.
WhiteWingDemon wrote: Not to start anything, seeing as that is O'Regan's job...
ShadowCell wrote: O'Regan, quit hitting on other users.
Orrick Alexander wrote: Did anyone know that O'Regan is the reason there's no air in space?
jam!

The Sazabi's shot-rifle definitely comes to mind as something close to what you may be referring to.
That was definitely effective.
HalfDemonInuyasha

There's also M-MSV's RX-81ST Standard RX-81

...and the

MS-08TX Efreet

...but aside from them, I can't seem to find other MS that have (beam) shotguns as weaponry.
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
AmuroNT1

Efreet's shotgun is solid, tho. So is the Kaempfer's shotgun.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
HalfDemonInuyasha

Yeah, mentioned as being general "shotgun" weaponry...I'm not sure if MSV's FA-78-3's beam shot cannon is one either...
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
Kuruni

RX-81's gun is actually "short beam rifle" (ショートビームライフル, Sazabi has ビームショットライフル), according to G Generation series.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Chavelo

It's possible. Though I don't recall an actual "Beam shotgun". It's a matter of scattering the particles of a beam, in a spread of thinner beams. Using e-clips similar to the Sazabi's beam shotrifle and you have a weapon that replicates the abilities of a shotgun in beam form.
Ryujin

The D Gundam 'First' from the manga Under the Gundam:Double Fake is armed with a 'beam shotgun'.

It's been included in the MS Illustrated publications and various G-Generation games, so I guess it ranks somewhat higher in the official status pecking order than many other UC-era manga MS (plus Double Fake has some of the more cooler-looking Neo Zeon MS designs courtesy of Hitoshi Fukuchi, who also designed 00's Union Flag & the AEU Enact).
Den

Isn't it that the buster gundam's rifle can be combined into either a shotgun or a sniper rifle? and is the buster's weapon beam base?
Black Knight

Den wrote:Isn't it that the buster gundam's rifle can be combined into either a shotgun or a sniper rifle? and is the buster's weapon beam base?
Yes, the Buster has weapons which can combine into a shotgun-like weapon. It has a beam componet, but how exactly combining Buster's beam rifle and it's gun-launcher (which fires physical shells) makes it either a badass sniper rifle or a close-range shotgun (depending on which side is being pointed at the enemy) is one of those amusing little CE msyteries.
bluemax151

The normal Efreet is listed as having a ショットガン (shotgun). I swear I've seen the Kämpfer listed as having a ショートガン (shortgun) somewhere but I can't seem to find the source at the moment.

As far as making a "beam shotgun" it should be feasible in any Gundam universe. If making the energy spread from one barrel isn't possible it would be a simple matter to have multiple inner barrels that could simultaneously fire for a spread pattern like a conventional shotgun.
こいつ が ガンダム か
RIP John Neil Seward Jr/Jack Seward 10/11/1924-11/10/2010
Wedge14

I always thought of the beam spray gun as like the bastard offspring of a rifle and a shotgun.

Also there is scattering beam guns. Which i guess by the description 'scatters' the beams out all over the place. Look at the one on the Dom's chest. It doesn't seem to be an effective weapon, ignoring it's ability to somehow knock out the cameras of course :D.
RPG Trinary:Creepy Zeon Magician

I'm cool, just ask anybody.

Oh and check out the RPG Section!
Cardi Doorl

Wedge14 wrote:I always thought of the beam spray gun as like the bastard offspring of a rifle and a shotgun.
The beam "spray" gun, despite the misleading name, does not have a spray effect when it fires. It fires pretty much like a regular beam rifle, just with lesser range and accuracy.
RPG TRINARY: Gaia
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Cardi Doorl

Make sure to check out the RPG section!
mcred23

Wedge14 wrote: Also there is scattering beam guns. Which i guess by the description 'scatters' the beams out all over the place. Look at the one on the Dom's chest. It doesn't seem to be an effective weapon, ignoring it's ability to somehow knock out the cameras of course :D.
The scattering beam gun is a very weak beam gun, it's too weak to cause any real damage, but it can still blind cameras and sensors briefly. It's basically a high-powered flashlight. :P
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Fritz Ashlyn

JET STREAM ATTA--...

The scattering beam guns are portrayed poorly in games, so I've known a lot of people that are confused by their use and power.
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots
RPG Trinary: Ortega
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Fritz Ashlyn

Hey! why don't you swing on down to the RPG section? Tales from the Frontlines: The AEUG running strong since 2006!
Oruma

Perhaps Dom's scatter beam gun is not the best example, since it is an incomplete model. What about Gogg's Mega Beam guns though? I think they shoot scatter beam too (although I'm not certain, it's been a long time since I last watched the trilogy)
"So...what does the Uncertainty Principle really mean?"
"Sorry, I'm not sure."
HalfDemonInuyasha

I can't remember either...the only things I do remember are 2 (yet again unreliable) games...Federation vs. Zeon showed it firing in a scattering beam gun-like fashion while Journey to Jaburo showed it firing 2 straight beams. x_x
Wingnut

Oruma wrote:Perhaps Dom's scatter beam gun is not the best example, since it is an incomplete model. What about Gogg's Mega Beam guns though? I think they shoot scatter beam too (although I'm not certain, it's been a long time since I last watched the trilogy)
No, those are just built in mega particle cannons.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Zeonic Glory

Scattering Mega Particles are close to beam shotguns. You just have to find a way to put it in a hand-held version...
Warning: When using Minovsky Particles, please do not drive or operate heavy machinery. If you have a Newtype Flash lasting longer than 6 hours, please call 911 as this may be a sign of a serious and life threatening side-effect. Ask your doctor if taking Minovsky Particles are right for you.
ultimatenewtype

Zeonic Glory wrote:Scattering Mega Particles are close to beam shotguns. You just have to find a way to put it in a hand-held version...
the closest u might find to a hendheld version of a scattering beam cannon is on the Baund Doc... it is mounted in the wrist on the claw arm (mobile armor head).