Doms and water

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Hyakushiki

Doms and water

I was curious if a Dom can hover over water?
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
CYNICISM AT IT'S BEST

well if it can hover of land I would say yes, I mean the thrust requirements wouldn't differ much would they?
Hyakushiki

I would think so too, the depth of the water might play a factor though.
Last edited by Hyakushiki on Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
Nightwing03

Hmm.... The Dom should be able to hover on water the thrust requirements would need to be stronger because water isn't solid. unless it's very shallow water.
♣♦♠♥
HalfDemonInuyasha

IIRC, didn't a few mobile suits hover over the water during the attack on Jaburo in Zeta Gundam? (excluding the Gundam Mark II on the Flying Shield)

Or was that mostly just using a small bit of sustained thrust?
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
Apache

Hovering on water would be very hard, because the wanter is not solid I dont think a suit could hover over water wile its not moving. I do think it could hover wile moving tho.
Ascension

Hovercraft operate over water all the time. It shouldn't be a problem in the slightest if the operation of a Dom is at all like real-life hovercraft.
Don't call it a comeback...
...in fact, it's best if you forget I was ever here before.
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Maybe I can point something out that is helpful.

Not being quite sure of the true nature of the Dom's hover unit (meaning I am not personally certain), we have to look at it like this:

Does the hover unit have 1G of acceleration to keep the Dom off the ground?

If not, the hover units would work like this: as the Dom glides along the ground, the hover units thrusts downward onto the surface and create a bubble of higher pressure. The Dom then rides this high pressure pocket with little or no friction againt the ground. Solid ground gives good resistance to pressure, so this pocket is relatively easy to create.

In the case of water, the liquid surface would likely give way, to some degree, againt the high pressure, and so this frictionless pocket would be more difficult to create. In theory, the Dom can do it still as long as it can produce enough thrust to create the pocket. Still, does the hover unit have enough strength and finess for a job like that?

Eh...that may raise more questions than help...

Sorry. :x
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
Oruma

The Dom can hover over water. So can 08th MS Team's Type-71, and original Gundam's Big Tray land battleship.
"So...what does the Uncertainty Principle really mean?"
"Sorry, I'm not sure."
OpMegs

Oruma wrote:The Dom can hover over water. So can 08th MS Team's Type-71, and original Gundam's Big Tray land battleship.
Except both of the latter examples utilize the "armored air cushion" that modern hovercraft use, except on a much larger scale.
SNT1 wrote:"Doubt" shouldn't ever be mentioned when describing 00-Raiser (or its armaments)
Dendrobium Stamen

The problem I can see with hovering over water is that the thrust would displace the water on the surface - try blowing a hairdryer at a bowlful of water and see what happens. On the other hand, it wouldn't be too much of an issue; in deep water there's more water beneath to create a ground-effect cushion, and on shallow water there's the riverbed or seabed to push off of.

To be honest, I lack the grounding in physics to really have a better comprehension of how ground-effect works, and how the surface tension of the water would affect it and be affected by the Dom's thrust output. But I'd imagine hovering over water would be possible, but potentially more propellant-consuming, simply enough.
"Trust me, I know what I'm doing." - Sledge Hammer.
A Wind Raging Through, a Destiny sidestory.
Ryujin

How a hovercraft works over water

It's all about the Law of Buoyancy and maintaining the air cushion, making it act just like a Nice Boat.

But what about the Dom's non-existent flexible skirt?

It's been demonstrated that high-pressure air jets can substitute for a flexible skirt by forming an 'air curtain.' More power is required, though, in order to generate the air curtain and to make up for the additional leakage in the air cushion (an air skirt's not as good as a solid skirt).
ultimatenewtype

Re: reply

HalfDemonInuyasha wrote:IIRC, didn't a few mobile suits hover over the water during the attack on Jaburo in Zeta Gundam? (excluding the Gundam Mark II on the Flying Shield)

The MK II did not exactly "hover" over the water w/ the Flying Armor, but Kamille was using it more life a surfboard to glide across the water.
RX 93 ZZ

Re: reply

HalfDemonInuyasha wrote:IIRC, didn't a few mobile suits hover over the water during the attack on Jaburo in Zeta Gundam? (excluding the Gundam Mark II on the Flying Shield)

I havent watched my DVD in a bit but i think the gouf flight type's that were attacking kamille when he came to that part did hover over the water briefly(cause you know....they kindah went boom after about 5 seconds along with a well placed shot to a tin cod heh heh :lol: )
Mobile suits: RX-93 Nu Gundam/RX-94 MP Nu(Fin Funnel Type), RGM-89S Jegan
Cars: '93 Mazda RX-7 (FD3S)