Colony resources question

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Kiggz

Colony resources question

Hey i was thinking about normal peoples live in the colony after I read the U.C time line stuff it said like 50 billion migrated to space whats the deal how do they get resources like water if they are not on earth ?

I guess this could apply to any Gundam series with colony's and not just U.C. What is the deal do they make fake weather or something like that ?
valkyriepilot

It's more like SIMULATED weather, and I think water and foodstuff are ferried from Earth. And there are lots of asteroids out there for building material too.
Ali-Sama

9 billion. 1 billion who lived on the moon, another billion who lived in the astroid stations. 500 million in jupiter orbit.
the way they got water is easy. Astroids, recycling. Also hydrogen and oxygen are very common compounds. the chemical process to make water is very easy. they could mine it alone with the he3 from jupiter.
ali
"In eternal damnation we sow the seeds of man, so we may delight in their pain and sorrow, basking them in our infinite love.."
Charles reed March 21, 2230
mcred23

Colonies do produce some of their own food via the agricultural modules that ring them, but they do seem to still import some foodstuffs from other locations (Probably Earth, for the most part). It's already been covered how they might get water, and for other minerals they can use various asteroids and whatnot.
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Gadget

How about weather? Controlled, or random factors.
Ali-Sama

Gadget wrote:How about weather? Controlled, or random factors.
I would refer you to this site. It is a good guide.
http://www.dyarstraights.com/msgundam/frontier.html
"In eternal damnation we sow the seeds of man, so we may delight in their pain and sorrow, basking them in our infinite love.."
Charles reed March 21, 2230
Hyakushiki

I think they can control the weather inside colonies, since they are self contained environments they can tailor the weather to suit their tastes. Texas colony for example was modeled after the American southwest, so it probably had the weather to match.
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
mcred23

The colonies are in control of their own weather, a good example of this being Amuro's noting that he didn't get a rain schedule while in Side 6. Texas is another good example, as Hyakushiki noted. Of course, they could also be in control by randomizing it. :roll:
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
supperrfreek

yeah when your way over by jupiter or on the moon waiting for stuff to be shipped up from earth would kill the whole colony, you'd have to get it from space. eg. the asteroid attached to catre's dad's colony in GW .
Ryujin

With regards to water & other volatiles, scientists have always entertained the notion of capturing one of those dirty iceballs which come out of the Oort Cloud and make spectacles of themselves on a regular basis.

If technology in the UC-verse is capable of moving Juno out of the asteroid belt & turning it into Luna-II, redirecting a comet shouldn't be a significant problem. Lower energy expenditures than hauling an equivalent amount of water out of a deep gravity well, for one thing.
Kiggz

Interesting stuff, how far do colony's stretch from earths orbit do the stop at jupiter ?
Toxicity

as far as sides go, side three is the farthest, being on the far side of the moon's orbit.