Beam saber question

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
ORegan

Beam saber question

What would happen if a beam saber was sandwiched between two other beam sabers? Would it be stuck there, preventing any pullout whatsoever because of the crossing magnetic fields?
mcred23 wrote: Well... it's official: O'Regan is the next Hitler.
WhiteWingDemon wrote: Not to start anything, seeing as that is O'Regan's job...
ShadowCell wrote: O'Regan, quit hitting on other users.
Orrick Alexander wrote: Did anyone know that O'Regan is the reason there's no air in space?
Ragormha

Depends what universe, more info please?

In CE I wouldn't think it'd matter, since the technology behind them is so hazy I'd just expect them to act like normal beam sabres.

In UC though... I'd say it wouldn't be an unreasonable assumption to make, but that if you merely switched the beam sabre off you could free it.
"I don't CARE if the mechanaught can't handle it, I want Wings of Light, the few seconds it'd last and the pilot mortality would be worth it." -me, eXteel closed beta.
mcred23

I'm not sure if the magnetic fields are strong enough to do that, or if they really work that way in UC. I say that because, with the large amount of close combat we see in UC, I can't think of anything vaugely like that happening. We see lots of cases of two beam sabers get very close together, or even touch, without issue, although granted, I don't think there are many cases with three (Not that the situation with three beam sabers like you describe would happen very often). It might be possible, but I really can't think of any evidence that supports the idea of beam sabers getting stuck together if pressed close enough together.
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
ORegan

I'll give you a little background information as to how I thought of the question, and maybe it'd help, if not, then I guess this serves as spam. While playing the One Year War RPG, someone was attacking me with two beam sabers, doing a scissor type of move. So the beams would be closing in in the same time. I was going to block the attack by sticking my own beam saber in the middle of the two, blocking both attacks, but i didn't know if there would be any negative effects such as the magnetic fields from the outside beams rebelling against the inside etc.

this help any bit or is it an unknown still?
mcred23 wrote: Well... it's official: O'Regan is the next Hitler.
WhiteWingDemon wrote: Not to start anything, seeing as that is O'Regan's job...
ShadowCell wrote: O'Regan, quit hitting on other users.
Orrick Alexander wrote: Did anyone know that O'Regan is the reason there's no air in space?
mcred23

Not really, my answer more or less remains the same; the third beam saber might have some magnetic effect, but I really doubt that it would and I can't think of that sort of thing happening in UC at any point.
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
angelisanguinum

I think the middle sword would be unable to pull out very easily, but I think it would depend which angle the other swords were sandwiching it .
Last edited by angelisanguinum on Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stats:
-I WILL EAT YOU!
Weapons:
-Jesus. I shoot Jesus at you and then you lose the game.
GAT-X109 Truth

I think it would act just like a physical sword unless the magnet fieldof one beam saber is stronger than the other. If that is the case, then the beam saber will the stronger magnetic field would cause the beam saber with the weaker magnetic field to bend. I dont think they would stick together.
"The quickest way to slay the beast is to aim staight for the head."
-Rau Le Creuset-