Background info on GM Cold Climate Type?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Kincaido Nau

Background info on GM Cold Climate Type?

was wondering about this MS as MAHQ's info is limited.

I've seen 0080 and read Blue Destiny, really the only canonical (or semi-) media in which it appears... i know in Blue Destiny they said something like it was made to counter the Dom. Anyway I'm just as interested in an out-of-uni standpoint. We would assume the GM Command is just Izubuchi's version of the standard GM--was the GM Cold Climate Type supposed to be just a standard ground-combat GM produced on Earth that they used at the arctic base (and in other areas on Earth as well, therefore being like gundam's version of the star wars snowspeeder as compared to an airspeeder) or something specially created just to fight in cold climates? In the former case, would it therefore interfere with the tan/ground GM Command? What would the latter's role be, then? (I never bought into the whole "colony combat" thing that much--seems stupid, and we all know all the suits in 0080 are really just supposed to be redesigns anyway. :/)

tl,dr someone explain the various in- and out-of-universe roles of 0080's Gms... thanks
RGM-79 GM

The Cold Climate might not have been a redesign but I'm not sure.

As for the GM Command IIRC it was rare and was mostly used to gather data so they would probably keep most of them in out of the way areas like colonies. Instead of sending them to the front lines and have a rather high chance of being destroyed along with any data it had.

I don't think all were redesigns, like the Kamfer, but now none are redesigns so I guess it doesn't really matter.
US Army Infantryman's creed wrote:In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous; Armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country's trust. Always I fight on: through the foe, to the objective, to triumph over all. If necessary, I fight to my death
Kincaido Nau

RGM-79 GM wrote:The Cold Climate might not have been a redesign but I'm not sure.

As for the GM Command IIRC it was rare and was mostly used to gather data so they would probably keep most of them in out of the way areas like colonies. Instead of sending them to the front lines and have a rather high chance of being destroyed along with any data it had.

I don't think all were redesigns, like the Kamfer, but now none are redesigns so I guess it doesn't really matter.
Well, of course the Kampfer wasn't a re-design. But the tradition with Gundam side stories is for the mecha designer to redesign 0079 mechs, whereupon Bandai relabels them to sell model kits...
RGM-79 GM

They aren't redesigns anymore though so talking about them being redesigns is pointless IMO.
US Army Infantryman's creed wrote:In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous; Armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country's trust. Always I fight on: through the foe, to the objective, to triumph over all. If necessary, I fight to my death
Kincaido Nau

RGM-79 GM wrote:They aren't redesigns anymore though so talking about them being redesigns is pointless IMO.
No it's not, since that;s how their roles were determined in the first place.

There's a huge difference between the GM cold climate type originally being a standard GM or a new custom model for cold climate use.
RGM-79 GM

I know there is a difference but as they are officially not just redesigns and are now different MS saying they were/are just redesigns is pointless.

Like I said I don't think the Cold Climate was ever a redesign.
Dark Duel

You're arguing over semantics, here. What's more, you're both right: The GM CCT is a very different MS from the standard GM, but it's still a modified/specialized variant of the same frame.
Just like the MS-09R Rick Dom is a different MS from the MS-09 Dom, but it's equipped specifically for space whereas the original Dom was exclusively an Earth/Ground-use MS.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
RGM-79 GM

We are talking about if it is a redesign in real life though. I was just saying that IMO talking(Even though that is what I'm doing.) about if the 0080 MS are just redesigns is pointless as they are officially not just redesigns and that as far as I know the Cold Climate wasn't just a redesign of the standard GM when 0080 was made but was a new unit. I'm not saying they aren't variants of the standard GM just that they aren't redesigns of it.
mcred23

Okay, I'm ignoring the last several posts and going back to the first post...
Kincaido Nau wrote:We would assume the GM Command is just Izubuchi's version of the standard GM
No. The GM Command is the GM Command and the standard GM is the standard GM. The GM Command is a seperate suit and not Izubuchi's version of the basic RGM-79 GM.
Kincaido Nau wrote:was the GM Cold Climate Type supposed to be just a standard ground-combat GM produced on Earth that they used at the arctic base (and in other areas on Earth as well, therefore being like gundam's version of the star wars snowspeeder as compared to an airspeeder) or something specially created just to fight in cold climates?
From what we know of the design, it wasn't supposed to be the standard ground combat GM. It's main role was to fight in cold climates, but it also seems to be used in non-cold weather areas in other roles, such as fighting Zeon's MS-09 Dom.
Kincaido Nau wrote:In the former case, would it therefore interfere with the tan/ground GM Command?
No, because neither machine was built in massive numbers. The main EFF MS, both on ground and in space, in the OYW was the basic RGM-79 GM. Other units liken the basic RGM-79G GM Command, the -79D Cold Climate Type and others were used on Earth, but never in numbers anywhere near the basic GM was.
Kincaido Nau wrote:What would the latter's role be, then? (I never bought into the whole "colony combat" thing that much--seems stupid, and we all know all the suits in 0080 are really just supposed to be redesigns anyway. :/)
The basic GM Command (The RGM-79G) seems to be more or less an improved general purpose GM design, one which is used more on Earth or in gravity areas (Like colonies) while it's zero-G-geared-brother (The RGM-79GS GM Command Space) was used widely in space and elsewhere.

And, while originally intended to be mostly redesigns, this has long since been changed, making every single design in 0080 into a new mobile suit or variant.
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
DeltasTaii

The use of the GM Command as a standard GM sub-in by MS Era never particularly made sense anyways. The Cold Climate Type much more closely represents a simple "Izubuchi GM" than the bechinned, modified Commands. 0080 designs tended to represent MSV more than MSG designs on the Feddie side, so as to extend that part of the universe, and the Cold Climate itself is exactly what it says-a GM used in cold climates. As the D-Type it has some improvements as a special use machine regardless. (if you're only going to use one limited run MS in an area, it better be good).
As partially inferred by the 1/144 manual, the GM Command's role is almost most similar to the MSV Light Armor type with higher mobility and a harder hitting beam gun, even if its design significantly varies in concept.
mcred23

DeltasTaii wrote:The use of the GM Command as a standard GM sub-in by MS Era never particularly made sense anyways.
Because MS Era only used MS designed by Izubuchi, which is why everything in it is either from 0080 or (In the case of MS like the Goufs seen in MS Era) look like they belong in it. Nothing that looks like it belongs in MSG or MSV is found in it, everything is in Izubuchi's style.

Ascension

I still can't figure out how the 0080 designs were declared variants while the 08th MS designs are just redesigns of the same thing. Talk about inconsistency... :roll:
Don't call it a comeback...
...in fact, it's best if you forget I was ever here before.
mcred23

Ascension wrote:I still can't figure out how the 0080 designs were declared variants while the 08th MS designs are just redesigns of the same thing. Talk about inconsistency... :roll:
Not really. Most of 08th's MS are variants, and those that aren't are usually extremely close to their original designs (Like the Acguy and Dom), unlike 0080's designs which clearly look very different from the older designs.

bluemax151

The cold climate is not an anti Dom type. The pilot merely remarks something along the lines of "This MS is good against Doms" in Japanese and the English translation mistranslated it to "anti Dom" or whatever. It does however have differences from the standard GM which can be considered improvements both in RL and in universe that could make it better at combating Doms.
こいつ が ガンダム か
RIP John Neil Seward Jr/Jack Seward 10/11/1924-11/10/2010
DeltasTaii

mcred23 wrote:
DeltasTaii wrote:The use of the GM Command as a standard GM sub-in by MS Era never particularly made sense anyways.
Because MS Era only used MS designed by Izubuchi, which is why everything in it is either from 0080 or (In the case of MS like the Goufs seen in MS Era) look like they belong in it. Nothing that looks like it belongs in MSG or MSV is found in it, everything is in Izubuchi's style.
I was going to shrug this off, but in fact you managed to miss every single point in the damn post, which oddly seems to be a regular occurence.

I'm saying that if you're going to use all Izubuchi designs, the GM Cold Climate Type makes a better standard GM than the Command. It's clearly far closer to a plain old GM ver.Izubuchi in design.

Beyond that, the 0080 (primarily) EFSF MS tend to be redesigns of MSV rather than MSG units. Alex is G-4 following G-3, the Sniper II is the 0080 version of the Sniper Custom, hell, Jaeger is High Mobility based, and both the Command and D-Type represent minor variations regardless, but are meant to do so in the same way MSV gives the OYW more than the single plain GM. (it's not just updating the art style, it's putting certain setting things into animated form as well).
Wingnut

DeltasTaii wrote:
mcred23 wrote:
I was going to shrug this off, but in fact you managed to miss every single point in the damn post, which oddly seems to be a regular occurence.
Usually when he does that, every thing about a post tends to be totally wrong to begin with.
From what I can tell, this is no different.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
mcred23

I'm ignoring your opening comments for everyones benefit, Wingnut more or less answered for me (Gives Wingy a cookie).
DeltasTaii wrote:I'm saying that if you're going to use all Izubuchi designs, the GM Cold Climate Type makes a better standard GM than the Command. It's clearly far closer to a plain old GM ver.Izubuchi in design.
That's opinion, for the most part, and so any further comments on that by anyone would be pointless.
DeltasTaii wrote:Beyond that, the 0080 (primarily) EFSF MS tend to be redesigns of MSV rather than MSG units. Alex is G-4 following G-3, the Sniper II is the 0080 version of the Sniper Custom, hell, Jaeger is High Mobility based, and both the Command and D-Type represent minor variations regardless, but are meant to do so in the same way MSV gives the OYW more than the single plain GM. (it's not just updating the art style, it's putting certain setting things into animated form as well).
I, and probably most of the other people posting in this thread, know this. However, I didn't put it in my first post as I didn't want to bring up other examples (Like the Sniper II/Sniper Custom relationship you mentioned, or the Zaku Kai/Zaku IIF and Rick Dom/Rick Dom II ones) and open that whole can of worms, choosing to stick to answer the OP's questions and stick with the RGM-79D.

Which reminds us to get back to that topic, which I'll be doing now...
bluemax151 wrote:The cold climate is not an anti Dom type. The pilot merely remarks something along the lines of "This MS is good against Doms" in Japanese and the English translation mistranslated it to "anti Dom" or whatever. It does however have differences from the standard GM which can be considered improvements both in RL and in universe that could make it better at combating Doms.
Well, if the RGM-79D proves to be a good MS for fighting Doms, that might lead to it being requested by units, or deployed, to give units a better chance to fight Zeon's high speed MS-09's, which could lead to it having some (Perhaps in some unofficial way).