Big question about Gundam's/Mobile suit's cockpits

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Lans

Now that you pointed out those, helmet synchronize seems really unlikely since we don't have any supporting evidence at least for the UC shows.

So, in this case is it best to assume that the head moves automatically to do several functions, ranging from identify any incoming object to tracks down any selected target?
mcred23

lans* wrote:Now that you pointed out those, helmet synchronize seems really unlikely since we don't have any supporting evidence at least for the UC shows.
You could also toss AC in there, as I rarely recall anyone there (Be it one of the Gundam boys or the grunts we saw) with a helmet on. The idea of having the helmet synch'd with the head of an MS doesn't seem to be present in any of the Gundam universes (I can't recall any instances of it).
lans* wrote:So, in this case is it best to assume that the head moves automatically to do several functions, ranging from identify any incoming object to tracks down any selected target?
Honestly, I don't think it's clear. While it would make sense, it doesn't seem like the heads of MS move automatically. I'd suspect that, like many other elements of a mobile suit (Including some things discussed in this thread), the pilot probably had some way of controlling it that we simply aren't shown.
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Lans

From my perspective, it's really make sense if the head does move to get a better view of any incoming object since the head houses the main camera with more magnifier ability than the other sensory equipment. This can be useful to identify incoming objects to see and classify them as friend or foe.

If this is controlled manually then the pilot must spent more time in seeing at particular direction when the MS inform him of any incoming directing at the unit.

Edit: It doesn't mean that I disagree with mcred. I agree that the show does put this thing unclear.
Recon 5

The head is probably synched with the Mobile Suit's scanner and has preset settings for its movement, such as 'scan for threats, etc.'