Akatsuki's armor

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Den

Akatsuki's armor

i was just wondering if the akatsuki has something of a phase shift armor or not? because i know it has a special coating for beam to reflect, but in the anime, it doesnt show the akatsuki being powered up like the other gundam when turning on the armor. because even if it was placed in the hanger, it still retain it's color hehe
ShadowCell

It doesn't have Phase Shift armor, and although I guess it's possible that it might have Trans Phase armor, I've not seen any evidence to support that.
Recon 5

It really doesn't need any of the types of powered armor used by earlier MS because it looks like the Yata- no- Kagami will block ANYTHING short of a beam blade, including physical weapons, even though it was only formulated/ designed to handle beams. If it can block a Tannhauser...
Wingnut

Recon 5 wrote:It really doesn't need any of the types of powered armor used by earlier MS because it looks like the Yata- no- Kagami will block ANYTHING short of a beam blade, including physical weapons, even though it was only formulated/ designed to handle beams. If it can block a Tannhauser...
I'd imagine that conventional weapons could still do damage to the machine. Thing is, there aren't many units that still use them as their primary weapon so it's not likely to face solid rounds coming at it short of missiles and it has head vulcans to deal with those.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
razgriz

when it got its arm hacked off by shinn in its first sortie, did he actually slice off the arm itself or cut through the unarmored elbow joint?
setsuna: I AM A GUNDAM!!!
graham: I AM A FLAG!!!
(setsuna giggling)
graham: NO!! i said FLLLAG!
Vyron

When was the Yata- no- Kagami developed anyways? If Uzumi is the one that commission it, would that imply that its was made pre-Destiny?
razgriz

i believe so it just took forever and a series in order to get it to fully battle ready status :D
setsuna: I AM A GUNDAM!!!
graham: I AM A FLAG!!!
(setsuna giggling)
graham: NO!! i said FLLLAG!
ZeBaron

razgriz wrote:i believe so it just took forever and a series in order to get it to fully battle ready status :D
I would think this is the case. Imagine, if you will, the time and care it takes to gold-leaf, say, a baseball or, I dunno, a chair. Now imagine how long it would take to bling out a 30-foot tall walking WMD with funnel knockoffs and mirror the surface or whatever enough to block a battleship's positron blast, which, based on the series/Mahq's/whoever's explanation of how the thing works, (i.e. the cannon blast ANNIHILATES anything at the atomic level that comes near it), should've turned the Hyaku-...I'm sorry, the AKATSUKI into space dust and spare quarks, if that.
Well f*** my a**...IT'S A DECEPTACON!!!
Den

Recon 5 wrote:It really doesn't need any of the types of powered armor used by earlier MS because it looks like the Yata- no- Kagami will block ANYTHING short of a beam blade, including physical weapons, even though it was only formulated/ designed to handle beams. If it can block a Tannhauser...
but the akatsuki blocked the tannhauser using its shield, not its body, like when the strike block the lohengrin from the dominion, maybe the shield was made stronger or something, but i'm really curious about the fact that if it has the yata no kagami, would it still need to have any kind of special armor like the TPS or the VPS to block the solid rounds being fired.
auriga

If it indeed blocked the Tannhauser with its shield, we're either looking at an uber-shield or one helluva big inconsistency. Solid shields can only become oh so strong.
maybe the shield was made stronger or something, but i'm really curious about the fact that if it has the yata no kagami, would it still need to have any kind of special armor like the TPS or the VPS to block the solid rounds being fired.
But does it have Yata no Kagami in the first place? I can't seem to remember a scene wherein the shield was used to reflect a beam shot (I mean, other than the questionable part with the Tannhauser).
Dark Duel

Not even gonna touch the Tannhauser debate, as I still believe that was an enormous scientific impossibility.
Unless we assume the so-called positron cannon is in fact nothing of the sort, and is just a glorified beam cannon.
Recon 5 wrote:It really doesn't need any of the types of powered armor used by earlier MS because it looks like the Yata- no- Kagami will block ANYTHING short of a beam blade, including physical weapons
That is a monstrous fallacy, as to the best of my recollection the Akatsuki is NEVER shown blocking physical weaponry of any sort with the Yata-no-Kagami.
It blocked a missile barrage with the energy barrier its DRAGOONs generated, but that's a wholly different animal.

But to answer the original question: NO, the Akatsuki has no Phase Shift armor of any sort. Its armor is entirely made up of what is essentially thousands of tiny little photovoltaic mirrors designed specifically to absorb and reflect beam weaponry. Meaning, while it can shrug off a beam cannon easily, a standard machinegun is, more than likely, gonna put some major hurting on it.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
SNT1

A way to tell if it has Phase Shift: Muted colors when it's turned off.

Standing in the hangar blinged up when it was introduced, I'm thinking it doesn't have Phase Shift.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
Mr. Jinkens

Dark Duel wrote:Not even gonna touch the Tannhauser debate, as I still believe that was an enormous scientific impossibility.
Unless we assume the so-called positron cannon is in fact nothing of the sort, and is just a glorified beam cannon.
not to change the subject, but i remember reading about theory behind positrons themselves, that when excited they do very much the same thing that is "shown" in the tannhauser or the lohengrin. also stated in that theory was that if it were possible to maybe negate that excitement, like take away the energy or something that in essence even though you see it mass of positrons coming at you depending on how far and fast you negate their energy would dissepate before it got to you or i would push you back like a tidal wave with out much injury or damage. if can find the link ill put itin here

as for the original question yeah, what blue duel said
FEMC_Mirage_Corp

Actually, if Tannhauser is a positron cannon. All it would really take to "block" the beam would be a strong positive electrical charge on the shield. Since like electrical charges repel after all and "Positrons" are positively charged.
"We are All Individuals" - They Chanted in Unison
HalfDemonInuyasha

SNT1 wrote:A way to tell if it has Phase Shift: Muted colors when it's turned off.

Standing in the hangar blinged up when it was introduced, I'm thinking it doesn't have Phase Shift.
Well, considering it's painted entirely bright cold like that, I doubt, even if it did have Phase Shift (which I also believe it does not), there'd be no telling by gray + colored for on and off since, well, it's painted that way, lol.

But it wouldn't surprise me if Uzumi had the Akatsuki planned and/or created immediately following the first GAT series and Astrays or at least halfway through SEED to include battle data and such when the Archangel was there, considering its Strike Gundam resemblence and functions. It also wouldn't surprise me that it took so long given the DRAGOON system had yet to appear, so developing a different sort of remote beam system without any sort of data on it like that had must have been a slow development process as well as finding a suitable, lasting, power source for such a suit.
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
Oruma

Hmm I thought the Dragoon pack was built with data given by Lacus and Terminal? I may be wrong, but I don't think Uzumi is responsible for this piece of uber-equipment.
"So...what does the Uncertainty Principle really mean?"
"Sorry, I'm not sure."
Vectorspace

Mr. Jinkens wrote:
Dark Duel wrote:Not even gonna touch the Tannhauser debate, as I still believe that was an enormous scientific impossibility.
not to change the subject, but i remember reading about theory behind positrons themselves, that when excited they do very much the same thing that is "shown" in the tannhauser or the lohengrin. also stated in that theory was that if it were possible to maybe negate that excitement, like take away the energy or something that in essence even though you see it mass of positrons coming at you depending on how far and fast you negate their energy would dissepate before it got to you or i would push you back like a tidal wave with out much injury or damage. if can find the link ill put itin here

as for the original question yeah, what blue duel said
Excited or not, a positron is still an antimatter particle and thus contact with an electron will always cause mutual annihilation.
Tafumi

Forgive me as I'm currently in that limbo where the buzz from too much caffine is wearing off, but didn't one of the three PS variants retain it's coloration even after power was lost? I'm thinking Trans-Shift but I could be (and likely am) wrong.

Not to mention that when it comes to CE tech, I ignore it as 90% of it is more logical conclusions (we) the fanbase comes up with because Sunrise isn't exactly helping us out.
ShadowCell

Trans Phase armor. The Calamity, Forbidden, and Raider (among others, probably) had it. It doesn't change color and it only activates at the point of impact in order to save energy.

Some units in DESTINY ASTRAY had a version of it that did change color at the point of impact, or something like that, I think.
HalfDemonInuyasha

Yeah, Trans-Phase Armor is the alternate Phase-Shift Armor that doesn't have any sort of on and off color, so at first glance, you can't really tell whether it's working or not since it only turns on and protects the MS at the point of impact, then goes off again until the next hit(s).
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet