Pinpont and Omni Directional Barrier From macross

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Ali-Sama

Pinpont and Omni Directional Barrier From macross

Can someone explain the nature of it for me? A friend of mine told me the quoted text and I would like a second opinion?
thanks in advance!!
Ali
As for the Pin-Point Barriers, although never stated, its guessed they use the hyperspace in reverse. Instead of folding space to be extremely close together, it 'expands' space inside the barrier to near infinity, which dissipates any impacts LONG before they hit the hull under the barrier. The only problem is that any impact, energy or kinetic that hits it is still filling up that 'expansion' inside the barrier. And while it appears to be infinite, its not, and so sooner or later it'll need to release all that energy just like if you overcharged a battery Only in the barrier's case it doesn't just fry, but it reverses the field and radiates all that stored up energy in a monumental blast. An omni-directional shield just makes it worse due to being far larger, and thus a lot more energy can be absorbed. So while it takes far longer for it to overload, once it does, its going to be a huge bang.
ps. this is for a story. Thanks for the replies!!
Last edited by Ali-Sama on Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"In eternal damnation we sow the seeds of man, so we may delight in their pain and sorrow, basking them in our infinite love.."
Charles reed March 21, 2230
Recon 5

Any energy release is going to follow the same path of adsorption. Therefore, an overcharged pinpoint barrier would make an excellent support weapon (and the omni barrier would likewise produce a pulse of death) if we follow the logic of the text.
Draco Starcloud

The OMNI barrier DID produce a pulse of death, if I recall correctly.
Chris wrote:IMMA CHARGIN MAH MAHQ @_@
Draco's Lair - Latest Update: 1/9/10
Ali-Sama

Draco Starcloud wrote:The OMNI barrier DID produce a pulse of death, if I recall correctly.
Yes sir, it did. When it overloaded.
Recon 5 wrote:Any energy release is going to follow the same path of adsorption. Therefore, an overcharged pinpoint barrier would make an excellent support weapon (and the omni barrier would likewise produce a pulse of death) if we follow the logic of the text.
good idea. thank you!!
"In eternal damnation we sow the seeds of man, so we may delight in their pain and sorrow, basking them in our infinite love.."
Gadget

Draco Starcloud wrote:The OMNI barrier DID produce a pulse of death, if I recall correctly.
Never use in a densly popuated area. Only inside enemy mothership reactor core. :twisted:
volrath77

Re: Pinpont and Omni Directional Barrier From macross

Ali-Sama wrote:
As for the Pin-Point Barriers, although never stated, its guessed they use the hyperspace in reverse. Instead of folding space to be extremely close together, it 'expands' space inside the barrier to near infinity, which dissipates any impacts LONG before they hit the hull under the barrier. The only problem is that any impact, energy or kinetic that hits it is still filling up that 'expansion' inside the barrier. And while it appears to be infinite, its not, and so sooner or later it'll need to release all that energy just like if you overcharged a battery Only in the barrier's case it doesn't just fry, but it reverses the field and radiates all that stored up energy in a monumental blast. An omni-directional shield just makes it worse due to being far larger, and thus a lot more energy can be absorbed. So while it takes far longer for it to overload, once it does, its going to be a huge bang.
ps. this is for a story. Thanks for the replies!!
IMHO, the very fact that description states that the pinpoint barrier is guessed as an application of hyperspace in reverse makes me think that this is not statement taken from canon or official sources but rather fan speculation.

In addition, the next line of statement contradicts each other. At one point it is near infinity and then fills up. The thing is 'near infinity' is very large if we are to take the literal meaning of the word and as such, non-sensical since there is no determination of what the limit that 'near infinity' is.
bluemax151

I'll have to rewatch some of the show to be sure but I thought there was a scene were one of the pinpoint barriers was actually penetrated by a blast without overloading.
こいつ が ガンダム か
RIP John Neil Seward Jr/Jack Seward 10/11/1924-11/10/2010
MrMarch

bluemax151 wrote:I'll have to rewatch some of the show to be sure but I thought there was a scene were one of the pinpoint barriers was actually penetrated by a blast without overloading.
Episode 10 Blind Game. The three Pin-Point Barriers attempt to intercept the main gun blast from a Zentradi battleship aimed at the long-range radar tower. The barriers are not powerful enough to stop the blast and are penetrated, but as you've stated, they do not explode violently when they fail.

It's also important to note that all the UN Spacy and Varauta warships from Macross 7 possess both Pin-Point Barriers and Full Barrier systems. It's very unlikely the problem of volatility in the original SDF-1 Macross Full Barrier System still occurs in the mass produced systems. Such a flawed barrier system would be impractical and extremely dangerous for fleet operations.
Ali-Sama

volrath77 wrote: IMHO, the very fact that description states that the pinpoint barrier is guessed as an application of hyperspace in reverse makes me think that this is not statement taken from canon or official sources but rather fan speculation.

In addition, the next line of statement contradicts each other. At one point it is near infinity and then fills up. The thing is 'near infinity' is very large if we are to take the literal meaning of the word and as such, non-sensical since there is no determination of what the limit that 'near infinity' is.
It is fan theory. That is why I was asking for more opinions on the matter. I need to know the nature, if possible.
MrMarch wrote:
bluemax151 wrote:I'll have to rewatch some of the show to be sure but I thought there was a scene were one of the pinpoint barriers was actually penetrated by a blast without overloading.
Episode 10 Blind Game. The three Pin-Point Barriers attempt to intercept the main gun blast from a Zentradi battleship aimed at the long-range radar tower. The barriers are not powerful enough to stop the blast and are penetrated, but as you've stated, they do not explode violently when they fail.

It's also important to note that all the UN Spacy and Varauta warships from Macross 7 possess both Pin-Point Barriers and Full Barrier systems. It's very unlikely the problem of volatility in the original SDF-1 Macross Full Barrier System still occurs in the mass produced systems. Such a flawed barrier system would be impractical and extremely dangerous for fleet operations.
Yes, the macross one, was an addon after the fact which is why it did explode.

thank you everyone for the replies!!
Ali