Turn A questions

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
HalfDemonInuyasha

Turn A questions

1.) One thing I've wondered after watching Turn A a few times; is the Turn A and/or Turn X somehow "immune" to the Moonlight Butterfly's nanmachines??

I've mostly wondered since it managed to survive the whole worldwide spread of them, though we have no clue on what the Turn X was doing and such at the time, but it also seemed like they both survived inside that "cocoon" made from the 2 attacks merging up and such.

2.) Considering how the Moonlight Butterfly was able to reduce all advanced technology on Earth to sand, how did so many of the excavated mobile suits manage to survive at all and not get turned into sand along with everything else??? If those were able to survive, then why do you suppose there weren't any others (and possibly better MS) like some leftover Doms or other amphibious MS/MAs and such??

I can only guess that, possibly, the MS that survived could've been stored in underground bases or less important bases that were, at least, in areas where the nanomachines didn't penetrate to get to them while the more frontline bases where "better" MS were kept took the hit...
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
Recon 5

1. They should be, otherwise they would have dissolved themselves before they finished their first Moonlight Butterfly release. In such a case, their destruction of the world's technology would be incomplete, the 'Black History' wouldn't be half as black and the whole Turn A series wouldn't take place.

2. You have a very good explanation there. However, it is also possible that when the surface storage facilities dissolved, the resulting sand buried the Mobile Suits within and protected them from the Moonlight Butterfly. In any case, nowhere does the series indicate that ALL the suits had been unearthed by the time the last battle came around. However, excavations would be limited in their scope due to the reduced technology available.
Kavik Ryx

About the Turn A and X being immune, when I watched the series, I remember Horace and Sid frequently talk about the Turn A's nanoskin, that acts for self repair. Perhaps it functions as anti-Moonlight Butterfly as well.
Zerosystem

Kavik Ryx wrote:About the Turn A and X being immune, when I watched the series, I remember Horace and Sid frequently talk about the Turn A's nanoskin, that acts for self repair. Perhaps it functions as anti-Moonlight Butterfly as well.
I also recall that when they discovered a Gallop class hovercraft, it was covered in said nano-skin as well. Horace said that the nano-skin formed at the same time the mobile suits were buried, protecting them. I can't imagine why or how the nano-skin managed to cover and protect any mobile suit, let along a Zaku II or Kapool, but since the Turn A and Turn X only had such technology, the nano-skin may have well come from their initial Moonlight Butterfly attacks.

There probably would have been many more, more highly advanced mobile weapons other than OYW or Zeta era machines, such as the futuristic looking Cannon Illefuto, which looks like a GM cannon derivative, with the EF-style cross on its shield, the exhaust vents on the front torso, and all.
gp=pc----c>--- %%
__|______|_____|_______
bazooka | shell | explosion
Mark064

A few things to note here. While the nanoskin protected that Gallop there are only two other things we know for sure that was protected by a nanoskin and that is the Muttowoooo and Willghem. The Kapool we saw for certain was not protected by the nanoskin, however Sid does find sand in the area. Everything else is an unknown. So really the only thing we can say for certain is that some items use the nanoskin while others don't and what defines which is also an unknown.

As for the nanoskin it's comment made by Horace in episode 19 explains quite a bit. He comments that the nanoskin on the Gallop it the type that disintigrates in air. He further goes on to explain that it helps protect mobile suits buried underground and turns into soil to help them bury it. Another type of nanoskin is also used by the WaDom for defense.

By the looks of the areas that these mobile suits are found in it doesn't look like they were stored in bases or anything fancy like that. More along the lines of caves or holes in the ground.

As for how the Turn A and Turn X survive I think you might have the wrong impression. The Turn X I'm assuming at this point in time is already on the Moon's Mountain Cycle so that's a simple one. And for the Turn A I was always under the assumption after the Moonlight Butterfly was used the Turn A sealed itself in that statue or whatever it was back then. The Moonlight Butterfly also seems to have varying effects. For example the one seen in the Dark History on the Moon had a different effect then ones seen at the present time of the show.