Uso's Beam Saber Trick

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Imperial

Uso's Beam Saber Trick

I've been curious as to how Uso Evin (Usso Evvings, Uso Ebbing, etc.) pulled off a certain trick he used in an early episode of V Gundam.

He's still piloting the Shokew at this point and is fighting a Zanscare pilot in a Zolo. He doesn't have a beam rifle on hand, so he uses his beam sabers to fire a beam blast at the Zolo as it flies overhead. How the heck does that work?

Ramming beam saber currents together never got that reaction in the past. Granted, those were already ignited, whereas Uso ignites them in such a way as to cross paths. Do the Minovsky particles somehow feed into each other to create a saber blade that has twice the power and lenght of a conventional saber?

Or this another instance of whacky anime shenanigans?
This space for rent
VentZX

I'm not sure if this helps any, but if you remember correctly, the Zeta uses its beam sabers as makeshift beam cannon while in wave rider mode, so it wouldn't be the first case of beam sabers being used as projectile weapons.
Mwulf

The beam-sabers on the GP01 and GP01fb can also be used as ranged weapons, in the Core-Fighter mode at least. I believe the ZZ's beam sabers can fire too.

And the Zeta's mega-particle launcher can also produce a beam saber.
Another Day, Another Mishap.

Gundam Seed Fates
ASA (comic)
Duraham

nono, you got it wrong. what he is talking about is using 2 normal beam sabers, and put them together to shoot off a close range beam.

well, my theory is that as the 2 barriers repulse each other, a gap is created in the middle, sorta like this : / \

from that gap, the minovinsky particles escape, like a balloon with a hole, and shoots out as a beam.
Recon 5

I'll rephrase the threadstarter's question for those who didn't get it. He wants to know if Uso's crossing of the V's beam sabers had anything to do with the ranged beam that was produced. Was it the cause of the beam? If so, how did it work?

Yes, the Zeta (and the ZZ) had beam sabers doubling as cannons, but they performed the functions separately. Here we see beam sabers being used to create a ranged beam blast while functioning as sabers. The threadstarter wants to know how it could have been done.
V2

hmmm... what episode is it?

is it really a beam shot or more of like the blade extended after the combination of the both saber outputs?
latenlazy

I remember what you're talking about...been attributing it to the advance of technology in the V era though, since beam weapons seem so much more powerful in that era.
HalfDemonInuyasha

Uso also pulled that very same trick to finish off his fight with Cronicle during the last moments of the Victory 2 vs. Rig Contio (moments after he slices him in a fly-by with the Wings of Light). He holds out both beam sabers together and seems to send out a blast of beam energy much like a beam rifle/pistol.

The common theme for beam sabers being able to fire as cannons seems to be that they are still hooked up so that they can be charged from their holding racks, so they are being given energy from the generator. (since the GP01Fb, Zeta, and ZZ all fire from where they are held to be charged). So given that the Victory 2's beam sabers are stored in the forearms and the position Uso was in when he used them in such a way, it might be possible that he discharged the energy while they were still in the charger or at least something to that extent...though I'm not sure on any in-universe explaination ^^;
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
Imaginary Number

Yeah I watched that Episode aswell, the one where he's piloting the Yellow Shokew against, the Helicopter/MS coversion He had 2 regular beam sabers (one in each hand) and He tool the beams and crossed them and the saber reached out further.
"Like I always tell my wife, I never drive faster than I can see besides its all in the reflexes"

Jack Burton was a Gundam Pilot.
midnightcitysky

I'm guessing 2 things could have happened; either the fields pushed the beam particles out the same way 2 magnets with the same poles facing would push out a metal ball bearing,. which kinda goes back to tomino's stating in the gundam novels that beam weapons were super heated metal particle if I remember correctly, I'm not sure what made them beams but I know for sure they were metal particles.

or the ionic fields that contain the plasma canceled each other out when they touched allowing the plasma to escape, as far as I know if the beam saber didn't have that ion field around it it would constantly be shooting out beams instead of retaining a sword shape. hope that was of some use...
My posts say something about me...I LIKE WRITING ESSAYS...
Maelstromm

Does this phenomenon apply all beam sabres? If so, I wonder why this effect doesn't occur when two MS use beam sabres against each other or does it only apply to identical beam sabres...:?
Gahh!!! My kingdom for a signature!!!!
Any takers?
Wingnut

Maelstromm wrote:Does this phenomenon apply all beam sabres? If so, I wonder why this effect doesn't occur when two MS use beam sabres against each other or does it only apply to identical beam sabres...:?
I would imagine the sabers used would have to be identical for the trick to work.

Also HDI is wrong in his theory of them being still in the chartger as the racks for the Shokew are in the hip and Uso still did that trick with the blades nowhere near the hip.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
midnightcitysky

also if I remember correctly usso joined the sabers at the hilt, that also may be why it doesn't happen with during beam sabers clashes and no one in their right mind would attempt to block a beam saber that close to the MS's hand as most UC ms don't have handguards on their sabers.
Imaginary Number

The Beams where crossed just above the hilt of the saber and yes they were Identical.
"Like I always tell my wife, I never drive faster than I can see besides its all in the reflexes"

Dark Duel

midnightcitysky wrote:most UC ms don't have handguards on their sabers.
IIRC, none of them do except the F-97s. Of course, I could be wrong.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
DeltasTaii

That's only on the Zamber, not the standard sabers. You'll find some other UC MS that have handguards on more specialized melee weapons, beam or solid.
Imaginary Number

Another Question If I may, Im watching Gundam X right now and Im not 100% sure if the GX 9900 has 2 sabers but, I never see gundams duel weilding sabers why?

Also Can a Gundam Injure itself with its own Beam saber or weaponry or are there systems inplace to prevent the pilots from mistakely sawing his other hand off?

Cardi Doorl

Imaginary Number wrote:Another Question If I may, Im watching Gundam X right now and Im not 100% sure if the GX 9900 has 2 sabers but, I never see gundams duel weilding sabers why?
Do you mean generally, throughout Gundam, or just in Gundam X? After all, First Gundam features the original Gundam going dual-wield with the sabers a couple times within the first few episodes, at least.
RPG TRINARY: Gaia
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Cardi Doorl

Make sure to check out the RPG section!
midnightcitysky

the X only has one beam sword placed at the end of the satellite beam cannon, it doesn't have the normal shoulder mounted cylindrical saber but a blocky squared one, I guess the higher output of it kept the designers from adding more than one.

and everyone forgot the first gundam to have a handguard...the nu gundam, which is IMO the best large scale design ever! (meaning not counting anything f90 on, you nkow those compact mechs) I mean it's amuro's custom suit it HAS to have an unique beam saber.

you know I've never seen a pilot hack off his own leg in combat...even the newbies, but the newbies tend to avoid melee unless they have no further recourse, I'm assuming that they definately have that system by chars counter attack as amuro's saber would remain in a compact lower output mode until amuro choose to attack or defend. if that were a passive system then yes, they probably did have a system to not hack their limbs off by chars counterattack. I know for sure they had that technology by F91 since a similar system was used for the beam shield...
Haros_Pet_Kat

Beams do all sorts of strange things in Victory Gundam, since pretty much almost everything became beam based, including defenses against beams being beams themselves. Considering that beam weapons are the above all end all weapons in the Gundam-verse, the double beam saber shot was probably just a way of adding spice to battles (I'm honestly glad they did too).
Chris wrote:Haha...you jackanapes have all been fooled by my ninja editing skills!