CE Beams

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
FEMC_Mirage_Corp

Green-san wrote:I know, plus is when you give an electron away while minus is when you gain one, but that doesn't explain how it works. Basically, if I understood correctly, the Particle Canon shoots a Positron Beam and once hitting the target will convert itself into energy that will assumingly, if hit by a great enough number, cause an explosion. If that is correct than you need awfully a lot of digits in order to get it right, like calculate the right velocity, power of impact and most importantly the correct mass of Positrons to cause an explosion when hitting the target. I guess the machine already does that before shooting, but... I still get the feeling that the idea of Positron Beams shooting out of a canon is... well, wrong0.0
There is no "correct mass of Positrons to cause an explosion". Any amount of matter + anti-matter causes an energy release directly proportional to the amount of anti-matter involved. Since there is an enormous amount of energy created by a matter + anti-matter contact, you need only tiny amounts of anti-matter to cause a catastrophic blast.

Anti-matter doesn't need "velocity" to cause damage. It annihilates normal matter simply by coming into contact with it. The speed of light is referenced in E = MCsquared, for reasons that take more math and science education than I suspect you've received so far.

Likewise the charges of the positrons and electrons are irrelevant to the outcome. It has as much to do with things as the color of an object does. Anti-matter is destructive to normal matter not because of the charge on it, but because of the nature of anti-matter. The difference in charge between normal matter and anti-matter just tends to ensure that if there is anti-matter and normal matter, that they will come into contact and destroy each other.
"We are All Individuals" - They Chanted in Unison
Green-san

FEMC_Mirage_Corp wrote: There is no "correct mass of Positrons to cause an explosion". Any amount of matter + anti-matter causes an energy release directly proportional to the amount of anti-matter involved. Since there is an enormous amount of energy created by a matter + anti-matter contact, you need only tiny amounts of anti-matter to cause a catastrophic blast.

Anti-matter doesn't need "velocity" to cause damage. It annihilates normal matter simply by coming into contact with it. The speed of light is referenced in E = MCsquared, for reasons that take more math and science education than I suspect you've received so far.

Likewise the charges of the positrons and electrons are irrelevant to the outcome. It has as much to do with things as the color of an object does. Anti-matter is destructive to normal matter not because of the charge on it, but because of the nature of anti-matter. The difference in charge between normal matter and anti-matter just tends to ensure that if there is anti-matter and normal matter, that they will come into contact and destroy each other.
I understand the concept of Light Speed, Energy equals mass relatively to the speed of light... What I don't understand is the action itself, the Positron annihilating the mass of Electrons. I mean, by the contact of anti-matter and matter a blast of energy is created, causing an explosion? Because if that is true than it is really a simple matter, which... I have no idea how come I didn't understand beforehand.=.=

Um... If that is the case than we mustn't forget we are talking in cellular levels, meaning the energy coming from the matter-anti matter is relatively small, and unable to create such a large explosion that can destroy something as powerful as a Mobile Suit's armor unless done in really high volumes. In that case, the volume of the Positrons in the Beam IS important and does matter after all, don't you agree?^^
"I will never become a Memory..." - Sephiroth
"Someday, people with Green hair will rule the freakin' universe..." - Kazuma Ren Hiraki
FEMC_Mirage_Corp

Green-san wrote: Um... If that is the case than we mustn't forget we are talking in cellular levels, meaning the energy coming from the matter-anti matter is relatively small, and unable to create such a large explosion that can destroy something as powerful as a Mobile Suit's armor unless done in really high volumes. In that case, the volume of the Positrons in the Beam IS important and does matter after all, don't you agree?
An anti-matter bomb is about 10 times as efficient as a Fusion bomb. A fusion bomb is thousands of times more efficient than a fission bomb. A Fission bomb is tens of thousands of times more efficient than a conventional explosive. So 1kg of anti-matter has the explosive equivalent of about 20 million tons of conventional explosive. So no, the amount of anti-matter isn't very important if you aren't talking about millionths of ounces.
"We are All Individuals" - They Chanted in Unison
Imaginary Number

*Pssh* Sounds like a Mighty big Marshmellow roast if you ask me. :D
Last edited by Imaginary Number on Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Like I always tell my wife, I never drive faster than I can see besides its all in the reflexes"

Jack Burton was a Gundam Pilot.
Green-san

FEMC_Mirage_Corp wrote: An anti-matter bomb is about 10 times as efficient as a Fusion bomb. A fusion bomb is thousands of times more efficient than a fission bomb. A Fission bomb is tens of thousands of times more efficient than a conventional explosive. So 1kg of anti-matter has the explosive equivalent of about 20 million tons of conventional explosive. So no, the amount of anti-matter isn't very important if you aren't talking about millionths of ounces.
Alright... I think I got it... Maybe I just need to see it in action... I'm sorry^^"

Please forgive me for my general foolishness and... newbie-ness?^^"
"Someday, people with Green hair will rule the freakin' universe..." - Kazuma Ren Hiraki
AU_Gundam MK II

Imaginary Number wrote:Didn't the Buster Cannon Have Like a 3 shot limit?
The first one had the limit. The Twin didn't due to some form of independent generator in it.
I am a general mecha fan! Anything from Mazinger Z to Gundam, Getter Robo to Macross!

Ware wa Zengar! ZENGAR ZOMBOLT!! Fanbase o Tatsu! TSURUGI NAI!!

ZANKANTOU!! RAIKOU GIRI!!
toysdream

AU_Gundam MK II wrote:Each Gundam universe has had a tech manual that gives all, ALL the details on the technology used in the series of that universe. The CE tech manuals have details on such things as how the cannons work and such.
I'm not sure what you're thinking of. Mediaworks published a series of "Data Collection" books covering the various Gundam series, some of which were published in English as "Technical Manuals." But the Gundam Seed volumes of this series have never been released in English, and they don't answer any of these questions anyway - they're really very vague.

DeltasTaii wrote:CE ABC is pretty crazy, and one of those pieces of evidence that suggests lasers, actually. It does some weird thing like deflect and refract the beam all over the place to diffuse it.
Actually, according to the High Grade Gunbarrel Dagger kit manual, the anti-beam coating used on CE mobile suit shields simply consists of "molecular-level mirrors." Which, as you say, supports the laser hypothesis.
Akatsuki's armour takes normal beams in a similar way, except just sending it back, while it has some sort of "plasma induction" crap for the uh, plasma beams.
"Critical plasma suppression layers," to be precise. Presumably these layers handle plasma beam weapons, while the "nano-scale beam-diffracting lattice layers" that also make up the Akatsuki's armor handle regular beam weapons.
Early CE Beam Sabers are Mirage Colloid system based. Take that for whatever you will, there's a magnetic field in there somewhere.
More precisely, early beam sabers use the same magnetic field formation technology that holds Mirage Colloid in place. The beam saber itself doesn't contain any Mirage Colloid, but in theory the magnetic field that holds the beam blade in place could just as easily be stuffed with Mirage Colloid instead.

Imaginary Number wrote:I found it under a Listing of Cosmic Era Technology.Its reliable, if you got any other site's that can fill me in I'd appreciate it
Gosh, how about the official site?

-- Mark
AU_Gundam MK II

I was speaking of Bandai's tech manuals. These being made by the tech writers of the series themselves. Plus, I heard that Sunrise had officially stated that the beams of CE are lasers. Yeah, there are positrons, but what about a Positron Laser?
I am a general mecha fan! Anything from Mazinger Z to Gundam, Getter Robo to Macross!

Ware wa Zengar! ZENGAR ZOMBOLT!! Fanbase o Tatsu! TSURUGI NAI!!

ZANKANTOU!! RAIKOU GIRI!!
toysdream

AU_Gundam MK II wrote:I was speaking of Bandai's tech manuals. These being made by the tech writers of the series themselves.
These don't exist.

There are always background notes and setting documents created in the course of an anime production. (Which means they're created by the Sunrise animation studio, not the Bandai toy company.) But there's no guarantee that these internal notes are going to address all the technical trivia.

In the case of Gundam Seed, the series has a science advisor on staff - Shigeru Morita of Studio Nue - who is supposed to keep track of all the Cosmic Era technology. But judging from the interviews I've read, Morita is pretty fuzzy on the details and tends not to worry about them until he has to make something up for the mode kit manuals. Quite often, an interviewer will ask him something fairly basic - like what the mobile suits use for propellant - and he'll admit he has no idea.
Plus, I heard that Sunrise had officially stated that the beams of CE are lasers.
Then I think you heard wrong. So far as I'm aware, there's no official info on this.
Yeah, there are positrons, but what about a Positron Laser?
That wouldn't make any sense. Lasers emit light. Positrons are matter.

-- Mark
Imaginary Number

Existance is a Lie, Emotions are illusions, Possesions are merely visions.

Ie The Gundam has nano machines that repair the armour internaly like ratchet. (^^)
"Like I always tell my wife, I never drive faster than I can see besides its all in the reflexes"

Nightwing03

Imaginary Number wrote:Existance is a Lie, Emotions are illusions, Possesions are merely visions.

Ie The Gundam has nano machines that repair the armour internaly like ratchet. (^^)
What has that got to do with anything on CE beams...?
♣♦♠♥
Green-san

toysdream wrote: That wouldn't make any sense. Lasers emit light. Positrons are matter.
Well, that depands. Everything in this world is devided to matter and anti-matter (positrons are ANTI-matter, by the way), and even anti-matter is created FROM matter. So anyway you look at it, Lasers ARE in fact matter, even if it IS just a beam of concentrated energy. See where I'm going, I hope?

^^
Gadget

Laser is Light Amplication by Stimuled Emission of Radiation. You could use the term a position beam, but it still is not laser.

And laser deals with radiationwave length, not matter. Laser could behave as an electromegatic wave length, or as particles call protons. And sometimes, a bit of both.

So sorrry green-san. Mark is right about this one.
Green-san

Seems like there are a lot of Physical terms I yet to understand... Lasers are sort of concentrated Photons that is essentially a form of energy... Radioactive Energy...

This is probably too complicated for me... As, from what I understand, everything has to do with matter and anti-matter... Energy, light, the works...

Maybe I understood it the wrong way...
stormturmoil

To be more correct, Light is a form of electromagnetic wave. Visible light is approximately between the 370 to 700 nanometre wavelengths of the electromagnetic spectrum (outside this are the 'invisble' lights like infrared, ultraviolet, x-rays, gammarays, microwaves and radio waves). It can also however exhibit properties similar to a particle phenomenon, and is considered in such cases as Photons (not protons, which are a positively charged subatomic particle).

This is explained as part of De Broglies theory of wave-particle duality, which explains that all particles also exhibit some wave like characteristics, and all waves exhibit some particle like characteristics.

One phenomenon made possible by this theory is that of the Particle Laser. While not a laser in the technical sense (it does not deal with Light emission, and so is a terminological inexactitude), the Particle laser exploits the same characteristics as a laser (single phase and alignment of particles) but in a different medium using the De broglie wavelength of particles.

Positrons are a positively charged subatomic particle with the same approximate mass as an electron, but the opposite electrostatic charge, making it a form of antimatter.

Electrons can be formed into a Particle laser state today, a phenomenon sometimes used in some Electron Microscopes. Since Positrons are merely the oppositely charged equivalent of Electrons, it's reasonable that with the right technology, the same could be done with positrons.

So a Positron Particle laser could form the basis of the infamous CE Positron Blaster cannon.
Green-san

Well, light is made of Photon waves, and by the duality principle you can describe every wave as a particle, and the opposite. So yeah, a particle beam can also be a laster beam, since, although they are not the same, they share similar features.

So... Yeah... Counter strike:P

Just kidding, I should start realizing most of these things we're talking about are fictional... Like the patricle beam... *sigh* if only...^^"
stormturmoil

Actually, Particle Beam technology already exists today...oh, you mean the flashy ray-gun kind...

Less exotic particle beams are in use today, though, particularly in sensing and medical scanning. We have electron beams in old tv's, and in electron microscopes. There are ion streams in stuff like Helium Ion microscopes, and even Antimatter in the form of positron streams in Positron emission Tomography (P.E.T) scans.

On the more exotic front, there were attempts to develop a particle beam weapon for the ill-fated SDI 'Star Wars' program. Unfortunately, while the beam could in theory burn right through six inches of stacked steel plates in seconds...it could only do so at a range of less than six inches...

oh well, back to the drawing board
toysdream

stormturmoil wrote:To be more correct, Light is a form of electromagnetic wave. Visible light is approximately between the 370 to 700 nanometre wavelengths of the electromagnetic spectrum (outside this are the 'invisble' lights like infrared, ultraviolet, x-rays, gammarays, microwaves and radio waves). It can also however exhibit properties similar to a particle phenomenon, and is considered in such cases as Photons (not protons, which are a positively charged subatomic particle).
Photons are particles, but they don't have mass, therefore they aren't matter (or anti-matter). We should probably keep to the basics to avoid confusing people here. :-)

Green-san wrote:As, from what I understand, everything has to do with matter and anti-matter... Energy, light, the works...
No. Energy is fundamentally different from matter. This is the point of Einstein's famous "E=mc^2" equation, which describes how one can be converted into the other. When matter and anti-matter collide, both are converted into energy - in the form of light and radiation - which is neither matter nor anti-matter.

Incidentally, the fact that energy is neither matter nor anti-matter explains why there's no such thing as "anti-light." Otherwise it would be possible to create anti-photons that collide with regular photons to create... uh, matter, I guess. :-)

-- Mark
Green-san

The Duality Principle that every wave can be translated as particle and the opposite, so theoraticaly you can translate light into matter, as well, and since light is a form of energy, can't you translate energy into matter?
Imaginary Number

I Just remembered why I use Gauss rifles instead of ER Lasers. :oops: