Project V original designs?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Nightwing03

Project V original designs?

i found this little piece of art during my quest in Wikipedia. Are these really the original designs for the Project V mobile suits? Or is it just fanart that someone posted on Wiki? Anyway...the Gundam looks like one of those toys you can get for like $15 and can like walk with wheels and make flashing lights and noises.
♣♦♠♥
Camille Vidan

I remember these,and yes they are the original concepts for the Gundam, Guntank and Guncannon.
Toxicity

Wow. The Guncannon is the only one that looks even vaguely similar to what actually appeared in the TV show. :shock:

I'm glad they didn't use those designs, but I can't help but wonder if gundam would be what it is today if they had.
Camille Vidan

I think the creator(Okawara?) didn't get Tomino's NOSUPEROBOTPLZ idea at first.
Dark Duel

I find it amusing that, assuming that is indeed original, Tomino still wound up getting a Gundam in those colors - though he had to wait five or six years for it.
But they look sorta cool. Except I think the Guntank looks silly.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
SNT1

ugh. It could have been much, much worse :lol:
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
ORegan

I wonder what the buttons on the "Gundam" do? But the Guntank looks nice with the exception of the hands, torso mounted cannons and beam spray gun looking thing. But I like the shoulder guns idea.
mcred23 wrote: Well... it's official: O'Regan is the next Hitler.
WhiteWingDemon wrote: Not to start anything, seeing as that is O'Regan's job...
ShadowCell wrote: O'Regan, quit hitting on other users.
Orrick Alexander wrote: Did anyone know that O'Regan is the reason there's no air in space?
Haros_Pet_Kat

I remember seeing a YouTube video that had several variations of how the Gundam evolved to look like what it is now.

At one point it actually had a humanized face (screaming Super Robot) and a dark color scheme before being turned into the MS we know today.
Chris wrote:Haha...you jackanapes have all been fooled by my ninja editing skills!
DeltasTaii

As I recall, white was amongst the colour options Tomino wanted for the Gundam that was rejected on the grounds of not being bright and colourful enough to sell toys.

The thing about the original designs anyways, is that the "sell giant robot toys" part came online before the "hey, let's make this Bandai commercial serious and stuff" part. Plus which, they were done in the '70s, so it wasn't until more of the WWII vibe started coming in we got the more tame, if slightly strange but very much appealing combination of early 20th century and near future aesthetic MSG features, instead of the old jumble of chrome, bright colours, and funny flashing lights and buttons that sci-fi liked back then. Also, chest cannons. :lol:
EZero8

I find these original designs very fitting for the original idea of calling the Gundam a "Gunboy." The design is very childish looking. :P
ShadowCell wrote:"Poor fool, ShadowCell!" you say. "You can't win against fandom stupidity with the Power of the Mod!"
razgriz

gunboy and his gunbuddies :lol: ah the future of the franchise wouldve been screwed if they had put these out. imagine the wing gunboy zero custom :shock:
setsuna: I AM A GUNDAM!!!
graham: I AM A FLAG!!!
(setsuna giggling)
graham: NO!! i said FLLLAG!
Mark064

It's just standard early stuff, if you look at any of that early stuff from any mecha series and you'll find the same thing. Lots of funkyness.
Gadget

DeltasTaii wrote:As I recall, white was amongst the colour options Tomino wanted for the Gundam that was rejected on the grounds of not being bright and colourful enough to sell toys.
:
I kinda recall that the original models kits are marketed like giant robots. I have no idea that Gundam are about 16 to 18m tall. I thought they were about 25 to 50m tall. And putting the RX78-2 next to SDF-1 Macross was not helping. In the Strom Cronstruction mode (Humanoid) it's about 1500m tall. And the box is bright and colouful. Space has a greenish blue tint to it. And 'Gundam' was printed in bright colours....
DeltasTaii wrote:
. Also, chest cannons. :lol:
There was a super robot call Ramrod from Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs. Ramrod carries and oversize six shooter. This is pre-Patlabors. Wears a Cowboy hat that can fit my living room. A cape with rocket thrusters. And then ultimate weapons are multiple chest cannos. The only nice about Ramros is that in the english dubbed version, the Ramrod system is voiced by Peter Cullen (Optimus Prime)

Back to topic. I have to say that the line art is pretty good in the 70s. Who knows, Gundam fans 50 year from now will LAUGHT at us for our 2000ish design. (Would the mods still around?)
Mark064

Since we're on the subject some other early Gundam designs this well help you get a more idea of the evolution of the Gundam.

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/7570 ... 924yf5.jpg The one posted in this topic and a more super robot looking Gundam, I'm reminded of Daitarn 3.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/4653 ... 871zm9.jpg The same as above just with a full weapons load. Notice the Gun Boy on the shield. It's beam spray gun can be seen in a lot of early pictures of the Gundam as we know today as well.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/1057 ... 849dy8.jpg Batwing Gundam

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/1097 ... boyqy5.jpg Gun Boy not even sure what I can say about this.

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/4544 ... 112lw9.jpg Full weapon load Guncannon.
Nightwing03

Wow, Daitarn 3 looks more like a Gundam than a super robot...wait...thats Gundam...not Daitarn 3...very odd, maybe they just used that design for Daitarn 3 later.
♣♦♠♥
Mark064

Daitarn 3 predated Gundam by one year. So I guess Daitarn 3 was some sort of inspiration for that version.
ORegan

I like that Guncannon with the combat knife, but damn, we went a long way before we go to the v-fin goatee super-ish robot we all know and love.
mcred23 wrote: Well... it's official: O'Regan is the next Hitler.
WhiteWingDemon wrote: Not to start anything, seeing as that is O'Regan's job...
ShadowCell wrote: O'Regan, quit hitting on other users.
Orrick Alexander wrote: Did anyone know that O'Regan is the reason there's no air in space?
Camille Vidan

Haha Mark, those are awesome, thanks. Do you have more? Zeon ones, perhaps?
Gadget

I like Batwing Gundam. The wings does remain me of the early Mazinger. The 2nd picts reminds me of the Full Armour RX78-1. It's the shoulder cannon
ZeonfromHell

razgriz wrote:gunboy and his gunbuddies :lol: ah the future of the franchise wouldve been screwed if they had put these out. imagine the wing gunboy zero custom :shock:
Yes, that would truly be a "zero." Even more so than it already is. :lol:
I like the beam rifle on this. It looks like the Guncannon beam rifle a bit, which is my favorite of the Federation designs.
I actually like the idea of the Gundam having a beefed up beam spray gun. Sure, it's not a beam rifle and not as powerful, but having one as a sidearm would be cool.
Patriotism is not a magnetic ribbon.