Strike Freedom

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Nightwing03

Strike Freedom

During phase 39 of GSD, Kira recieves his new unit. He hops into it and the display screen shows up a ZAFT operating screen. Why would it have a ZAFT operating screen when it's not actually built by ZAFT? I thought it was built by either the TSA or Terminal. I know MAHQ states that it was based on the Design of ZAFT, but im just curious to why they'd put the ZAFT operating screen instead of their own.
♣♦♠♥
AmuroNT1

Honestly, what OS boot-up screen WOULD they use? Not the Alliance to be sure, and Orb wasn't directly involved with its construction. Since it's a ZAFT machine (and according to some accounts, was partially or wholly stolen from ZAFT in the first place), theirs is as good as any other. Besides that, ZAFT is probably the only faction to specifically tailor their OSes for Coordinators.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Duraham

um, from what I understand, the strike freedom is a repair cum upgrade of the busted freedom.

so yeap. the exteriors and weapons are changed, but the software and etc should remain unchanged.

another theory would be that the coordinator OS is more suited, not because kira yamato is a coordinator, but rather it allows the new weapons to be more easily integrated into the OS, and perhaps he himself is already accustomed to the OS.

in before "lazy producers are lazy"
Nightwing03

I see...but how did they modify it from the original Freedom? The MS was stabbed right through the torso causing a massive explosion that ended up destroying the entire thing apart from the torso (no idea how that works)
♣♦♠♥
jam!

um, from what I understand, the strike freedom is a repair cum upgrade of the busted freedom.
No. The Strike Freedom is a completely different machine from the Freedom. The same goes for the Infinite Justice which is a completely different machine from the Justice.

Somehow, the Terminal forces managed to steal the plans (and/or the MS) from ZAFT (probably with the help of some Terminal loyalists within the ZAFT forces) as well as the DOM Trooper MS. It's apparent that Terminal didn't care about hiding this since they barely changed the DOM's appearance from its initially intended design. Probably as a slap in the face to ZAFT.

With regards to the OS? I'll go with AmuroNT1's explanation.
Vyron

I think that since SF was built on the Eternal (which is a ZAFT built ship), it'll just default to having ZAFT software and such. It was built on the Eternal right?
ZeBaron

I was under the impression that they were built on the Mendel Colony, out of the way of all three factions. Can't remember what I saw that warrants the statement, though...
Well f*** my a**...IT'S A DECEPTACON!!!
AmuroNT1

The explanations for Strike Freedom seem to change every time a new piece of merchandise comes out, but the constants are basically that ZAFT made the original design, and Terminal (a spy network that is said to be neutral and yet favors Lacus) stole it. One version says that it was originally planned as a mass production version of the original Freedom, which was subsequently modified specifically for Kira. A couple of explanations say that it was actually developed before the Second Stage Gundams (Impulse, Saviour, et al), which explains why it and I-Justice have earlier versions of their weapons.

Regardless, S-F was apparently built on that Terminal factory we see in episode 39
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Draco Starcloud

My guess would be the Strike Freedom's OS is either something stolen from ZAFT or an original work based on the Freedom's old OS.

I'd say Kira did it, but he wouldn't have had time to do it between the Strike Rouge's destruction and his deployment and I don't think he'd be willing to write an OS for a Mobile Suit he shouldn't feel he needs.
Chris wrote:IMMA CHARGIN MAH MAHQ @_@
Draco's Lair - Latest Update: 1/9/10
Dark Duel

Copied from Wiki, because this is one of those rare times when it's accurate:

From the High Grade model kit manual, Strike Freedom was completed by the former Clyne Faction led by Lacus Clyne. The manual states that the Strike Freedom was created by stealing data from the next-generation Second Stage series that was under development by ZAFT and combined with data from the Freedom which was restored in Orb after the previous war, the Bloody Valentine War (the main plot of the TV series Mobile Suit Gundam SEED). Further stated, as this hybrid machine is a further power-up of the Freedom, which already surpassed ordinary mobile suits, no normal human can operate it. The manual also explained the Strike Freedom name, that when Lacus Clyne finally approved the decision of its developers and gave it to her beloved friend, Kira Yamato, she gives it the names of the Strike and Freedom

The above explanation was later retconned when the MG came out, and here is what that says. I actually like this explanation better, as it seems more comprehensive, also including the link to the Stargazer:

In the Master Grade model kit manual, Strike Freedom was stated as originally under the production of ZAFT as a newer version of the ZGMF-X10A Freedom. In the manual, this mobile suit was planned by ZAFT to be mass-produced for achieving victory for any war. Further in the manual, Strike Freedom's original maiden flight date was after the Armory One Incident (The incident shown in early episodes of Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny). Later, during the final stages of its development, Terminal stole the mobile suit and modified it for Kira Yamato, resulting it to become the "ultimate" mobile suit. It explained the "ZGMF" model number, which is common for ZAFT's mobile suits. Shigeru Morita's declarations over his will to build links between Strike Freedom, Destiny and Stargazer, that the first two field a propulsion system derived from Stargazer's "Voiture Lumière" interplanetary propulsion system, also confirmed by this manual.

My take on it is this, and actually follows the line of the latter explanation: The SF prototype was constructed and fielded with a rudimentary OS for test-flights, while the final OS that went into the Legend and Destiny was still under development. Since that was the case, it still lacked the new OS when it was stolen and modified by Terminal.
If you want to follow the older HG's backstory, then I'd explain the OS discrepancy as follows: Terminal stole the technology, but couldn't steal the incomplete OS, so they slapped it together with a version of the old OS instead.

The MG explanation also makes more sense for the following reason: It's a lot less time-consuming to steal a complete mobile suit than it is to steal a bunch of data, then slap it together and build the MS yourself.
Not to mention it's easier on your resources.

So that's my two cents on it. Take it however you will.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Krogoth255

I personally think the SF and IJ were by-products of deus ex machina. There is simply no way that a third-party with rag-tag resources could develop MS that surpass what two much larger factions could muster.

Here is my question for the ZAFT stolen origin theory. Why would Dullindal order the development of two MS that were geared towards his nemesis? If Dullindal or ZAFT were indeed behind the SF and IJ, but were stolen. Wouldn't it make more sense for Dullindal to give Athrun the IJ and Yzak (closet ZAFT-loyal candidate) the SF?

Calling the SF, the "Ulimate" MS is a complete joke. The suit has nothing on the likes of Victory 2s, Ex-S, Hi-Nu and F9x series.
Darn you F-Types!
Gadget

Sounds a lot like Windows 3.1. It was rumered that it was pirated from Apple's Mach's OS system. Not sure how's the copyright laws in CE :wink: I wonder anyone download songs without paying the record companies, like Lacus songs.

But if I was 'modifying' the OS for Kira, i would concentrate on the actual control programming. If the interface still works, I would leave it. Hack, I don't even care if the 'Windows Vista' icon pops up. This is War. And making your boot up look snazy would be the last thing on my mind. I rather concentrat on what works best for Kira.
Cardi Doorl

Krogoth255 wrote:Calling the SF, the "Ulimate" MS is a complete joke. The suit has nothing on the likes of Victory 2s, Ex-S, Hi-Nu and F9x series.
Considering the Victory 2, Ex-S, Hi-Nu, and F90 series existed in an entirely different universe, though...
RPG TRINARY: Gaia
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Cardi Doorl

Make sure to check out the RPG section!
Dark Duel

Krogoth255 wrote:I personally think the SF and IJ were by-products of deus ex machina. There is simply no way that a third-party with rag-tag resources could develop MS that surpass what two much larger factions could muster.
Hence the reason for my preferring the latest retcon of the SF(and presumably IJ) backstory, in which it was built by ZAFT and later stolen by Terminal, rather than built by Terminal from cobbled-together Second Stage data they stole.
Krogoth255 wrote:Here is my question for the ZAFT stolen origin theory. Why would Dullindal order the development of two MS that were geared towards his nemesis? If Dullindal or ZAFT were indeed behind the SF and IJ, but were stolen. Wouldn't it make more sense for Dullindal to give Athrun the IJ and Yzak (closet ZAFT-loyal candidate) the SF?
Who says a machine based on the Freedom must automatically be geared towards Kira? The original certainly wasn't, he just jacked it.
Remember, the S-Freedom(and by extension, I-Justice, or at least so I presume) was, according to the MG Manual, developed by ZAFT with plans for mass-production.
It was only AFTER Terminal stole it that the machine was modified for Kira's specific use.
Krogoth255 wrote:Calling the SF, the "Ulimate" MS is a complete joke. The suit has nothing on the likes of Victory 2s, Ex-S, Hi-Nu and F9x series.
Tru dat. To say nothing of non-Gundam monsters like the Quin Mantha or Nightingale.
And even by CE standards, for a latest-generation Gundam it's pretty much a noob-suit. All you hafta do is stand waaaaaay back and spam the crap out of your guns to take out a battalion - anyone can do THAT.
Destiny and IJ, though, are a different story. Even Strike Noir requires a lot more skill to use properly, as it doesn't even have a nuclear powerplant OR a shield.

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Janx_Dolaris

I guess whats so 'ultimate' about it is how noobishly easy it is to pilot. Military wants results, not overly complicated stuff that requires super pilots (despite the fact that S-Freedom supposedly only works for kira).

From a militataistic standpoint, whats better? a machine that can spam and kill battalions of enemies, or a complicated machine needing a skilling pilot that has to get up-close an personal to get the job done?

Military would love noob suits, which is why ZAFT wanted to MP it, but for some reason made a GOUF.

If it weren't for "Kira only" i can see why it could be called an ultimate MS for the Seed Universe. If it weren't Kira only for no good reason, and could be MP'd they'd PWN the Alliance.... more than they already did.
Dark Duel

Not gonna get into how the "Kira-only" thing was due to later modification by Terminal, as I think I've covered that.
But think: One tweaked SF/IJ plus the Akatsuki/restolen Gaia/DOMs versus a battallion(sp?) of MPd ones, plus the Destiny/Legend/Impulse etc...
Now THAT would drastically have changed the outcome of things in my view.

SNT1

Yean in CE Strike Freedom kicked everyone's ass without receiving a scratch of its own. It might as well be CE's ultimate MS.
All you hafta do is stand waaaaaay back and spam the crap out of your guns to take out a battalion - anyone can do THAT.
I guess whats so 'ultimate' about it is how noobishly easy it is to pilot. Military wants results, not overly complicated stuff that requires super pilots (despite the fact that S-Freedom supposedly only works for kira).
:roll:

Let's go to the USAF guys and tell them how their F-22s are for noobs, it takes no skill to use, opponent's can't see you while you can see them, stand back and spam AMRAAMs.... you get the point. The fact that half of S-F's kills are probably off melee, makes the H4xx0rz argument invalid.

/sigh, why am I even bothering to answer this? Oh, yeah. besides the offtopicness there's the hypocritical point that somehow Strike Freedom is the only MS evar to get some Deus Ex Machina power.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
Dark Duel

SNT1 wrote:there's the hypocritical point that somehow Strike Freedom is the only MS evar to get some Deus Ex Machina power.
Oh, and where was that ever stated? I know I never said it, explicitly or implicitly.
As to "offtopicness", I don't see how talking about SF in a topic about SF is off-topic.

With regards to the original question, I think that's been covered, but I'll say it again:
We don't know for sure why it has an old-style OS.
But depending on which explanation you choose to believe(The HG Manual's, or the MG Manual's, which retconned the other one), either Terminal built the machine based on the data but couldn't get their hands on the OS, or Terminal stole the completed prototype before the final OS could be completed and installed by ZAFT.
Personally, I think the latter, given its timetable, makes somewhat more sense, but that's my opinion.

SNT1

Oh, and where was that ever stated? I know I never said it, explicitly or implicitly.
not exactly you.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
Nightwing03

Janx_Dolaris wrote:Military would love noob suits, which is why ZAFT wanted to MP it, but for some reason made a GOUF.
If they made an MP Freedom, it would be very costly...as Chairman Dullindal was talking about just making one MS is still costly when he was in Diocavia(sp?). If Making a GOUF ignited was costly, imagine the price for just 1 MP Freedom.

Anyway, i think the MG back story is probably the best answer so far, since it's more logical to steal the SF when it's in its final production and less time consuming (i.e not having to steal the data and build the whole thing)
Last edited by Nightwing03 on Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
♣♦♠♥