Question of a few weapons.

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
CHASER

Question of a few weapons.

I thought that I might as well ask rather than not know forever. Looking through various Gundam profiles and hearing about them in discussions there are a few weapons that I wonder about.

#1 - The "Sand Barrel" found on things like the Gaia Gear α. Any research I've attempted to do about it pretty much brings about information from oil plants and the like. What kind of armament is this?

#2 - The Apsalus I and its Minovsky craft energy pulse, more or less wondering what this does and in what form (some sort of general wave or directed out the front, and what effect it has on another suit) as it notes it to act as a defensive weapon.

All I can really think of at the moment.
HellCat wrote:
ShadowCell wrote:I'm skipping this one if it's in suppository form, though. Like, I like Gundam, but not that friggin' much.
They decided against that because most Gundam fans already have something up their butt.
jam!

The Apsalus I's minovsky craft energy pulse is a byproduct of its Minovsky craft system which it uses to allow it to fly. The energy pulse itself is emitted from the Minovsky generator which is located at the bottom of the Apsalus I.

In 08th MS team, it was shown to tear up the ground beneath the Apsalus I and cause tremors and shockwaves. IIRC, Aina was going to use it to kill Sanders by positioning the Apsalus I directly above him so the shockwave would take full effect but the other team members jumped in to save him.

It does not blatantly attack any target since it seems difficult to aim so since the shockwaves can disorient a target, it's more defensive I think.
Draco Starcloud

The Sand Barrel as a weapon is, so I've heard, a small shotgun-like weapon that fits in an MS' head (in place of head vulcans) to use as an anti-missile weapon.
Chris wrote:IMMA CHARGIN MAH MAHQ @_@
Draco's Lair - Latest Update: 1/9/10
ORegan

Draco Starcloud wrote:The Sand Barrel as a weapon is, so I've heard, a small shotgun-like weapon that fits in an MS' head (in place of head vulcans) to use as an anti-missile weapon.
the profile states it as such:

multi-weapon pod x 2 (micromissile or sand barrel or bomb)

and

AS (air-to-surface) missiles, cluster bombs, sand barrel, etc

-----------------

I think it'd work similar to Hygogg's arm mounted missiles, except not attached to an arm/claw.

as for the apsalus, I think the pulse is like a shockwave.
mcred23 wrote: Well... it's official: O'Regan is the next Hitler.
WhiteWingDemon wrote: Not to start anything, seeing as that is O'Regan's job...
ShadowCell wrote: O'Regan, quit hitting on other users.
Orrick Alexander wrote: Did anyone know that O'Regan is the reason there's no air in space?
Gelgoog Jager

Since we are talking about odd weapons, I wanted to know if anyone knows what exactly is the "armed buster" used by the Desert Gelgoog from ZZ-MSV and the "heat piles" of the Dolmel for the Ex Revue arcade game.

I supposed the heat piles are some sort of handheld close combat weapon, but I don't know about the armed buster, since it kinda looks like the barrel of a ranged weapon, but on the other hand the Desert Gelgoog lacks a beam naginata, so it might be its replacement.
bluemax151

Gelgoog Jäger wrote:Since we are talking about odd weapons, I wanted to know if anyone knows what exactly is the "armed buster" used by the Desert Gelgoog from ZZ-MSV and the "heat piles" of the Dolmel for the Ex Revue arcade game.

I supposed the heat piles are some sort of handheld close combat weapon, but I don't know about the armed buster, since it kinda looks like the barrel of a ranged weapon, but on the other hand the Desert Gelgoog lacks a beam naginata, so it might be its replacement.
It's probably similar to Front Mission's Pile Bunkers but heated like other Zeonic melee weaponry.

1. pile bunker

n. Tool or weapon composed of a pneumatic or hydraulic piston connected to a spiked shaft and recoil springs; Uses rapid compression to drive the piston forward which in turn drives a spike into an object, in a matter similar to that of a pneumatic hammer (jackhammer), only the spike goes far into the object and then retracts quickly, readying itself for another strike.

His armor was pierced by his enemy's pile bunker.
He used a pile bunker to remove some of the granite from a rock wall.
こいつ が ガンダム か
RIP John Neil Seward Jr/Jack Seward 10/11/1924-11/10/2010
AmuroNT1

The heat piles on the Dolmel are its shoulder spikes, which can be super-heated for extra damage.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Kuruni

Draco Starcloud wrote:The Sand Barrel as a weapon is, so I've heard, a small shotgun-like weapon that fits in an MS' head (in place of head vulcans) to use as an anti-missile weapon.
It's also a particle-based weapon.
My girlfriend was a loli.
toysdream

Kuruni wrote:It's also a particle-based weapon.
Well, it's not a beam weapon. According to the mecha profiles in the Gaia Gear novels, the sand barrel is "a shell packed with sand-like heavy metal particles." It's a scattershot weapon developed for use against mobile suits, and in the second novel, Tomino describes it as "a missile resembling a shotgun shell for close combat use."

-- Mark
Kuruni

Thank for correction, Mark. :D
My girlfriend was a loli.
FEMC_Mirage_Corp

The old Science Fiction RPG Traveler had defensive weapons called Sand Casters. Which did pretty much exactly what the name says, putting out fields of sand (actually a high tech ablative/light scattering material) to use to soak up and disrupt enemy laser (and to a lesser extent other weapons IIRC). It is possible that the "Sand Barrel" is derived from that. I know that most of the major western RPG have gotten Japanese translations.
"We are All Individuals" - They Chanted in Unison
Imaginary Number

While we are asking questions, Ive read a bit about it but didnt really understand.

How did they make the Beam Spray gun Spray? I mean Its a beam how to you make a beam spraygun?
"Like I always tell my wife, I never drive faster than I can see besides its all in the reflexes"

Jack Burton was a Gundam Pilot.
CYNICISM AT IT'S BEST

it just makes a wider beam that does more damage but limits your range and ammo IIRC
Imaginary Number

Thanks, Im still kinda new to the whole Gundam concept I've liked gundam for ages and watched most of the anime but Only recently have I been actually studying it.

whats IIRC?.
"Like I always tell my wife, I never drive faster than I can see besides its all in the reflexes"

mcred23

IIRC = If I Recall Correctly
CYNICISM AT IT'S BEST wrote:it just makes a wider beam that does more damage but limits your range and ammo IIRC
I'm not so sure about the wider beam part, as the Beam Spray Guns we see used don't seem to have beams that are different from a normal beam rifle. Basically, they're just smaller, less accurate (At longer range) beam rifles.
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
ZeonfromHell

Imaginary Number wrote:whats IIRC?.
That internet shorthand for "If I Remeber Correctly" or "If I ReCall." Also, AFAIK, also commonly used in this board, is shorthand for "and for all I know."
Patriotism is not a magnetic ribbon.
mcred23

ZeonfromHell wrote: Also, AFAIK, also commonly used in this board, is shorthand for "and for all I know."
Or "As Far As I Know", which is how I always read it.
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Imaginary Number

Man you people are nice,

The Guys over at mektek.net make a living out of Brutal flaming's
Everytime a noob logs on over there Shinigami and Nooblet go on a witch hunt

CHASER

Oh, so a sand barrel is pretty much a barrel.. filled with sand/other loose materials. Makes sense, it would be effective against missiles just like a flak cannon is against anything fleshy. I had.. strange images in my head involving that particular system earlier.
HellCat wrote:
ShadowCell wrote:I'm skipping this one if it's in suppository form, though. Like, I like Gundam, but not that friggin' much.
They decided against that because most Gundam fans already have something up their butt.
toysdream

FEMC_Mirage_Corp wrote:The old Science Fiction RPG Traveler had defensive weapons called Sand Casters. Which did pretty much exactly what the name says, putting out fields of sand (actually a high tech ablative/light scattering material) to use to soak up and disrupt enemy laser (and to a lesser extent other weapons IIRC). It is possible that the "Sand Barrel" is derived from that.
According to Tomino's novels, it's actually a shotgun-style offensive weapon, as described above.

As for the beam spray gun, the Master Grade kit manuals say that it lacks the range and penetrating power of a beam rifle, but has about the same destructive force. The MSV Collection File adds that it also has a high rate of fire, so perhaps the "spray gun" nickname reflects its rapid-fire capabilities.

-- Mark