EAF GAT-Series

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Strike Zero

EAF GAT-Series

Today I have a question about the EAF and their Gundam units.

The first line of Gundam suits they constructed were the Strike, Aegis, Duel, Buster and Blitz. They soon followed this up with the development of mass production versions of each suit (Dagger, Duel Dagger, Buster Dagger, etc.), and later, even versions that were an improvement over the originals (Strike Noir, Blu Duel, Verde Buster, etc.)

Then they constructed a second line of prototypes, the Raider, Forbidden and Calamity. My question is, why didn't they pursue the creation of mass-production versions of these units when they were so effective in the later battles of the war? This especially applies to the Forbidden Gundam, which had the ability to bend beams thus making it invulnerable to beam rifles, the most widely used conventional weapon of both sides.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
ShadowCell

Erm, they did. Deep Forbidden and Forbidden Vortex?

Nevertheless, given how large the Geschmeidig Panzer backpack is, I would imagine the Alliance decided to stick with the Striker pack-compatible design so that they could adapt more mobile suits to different roles, rather than stick this huge friggin' backpack on and lose the Striker pack compatibility. I've yet to see the Geschmeidig Panzer employed on any smaller scale than the Forbidden's backpack--and the Forbidden's backpack is hella big.
Destroy Gundam

I'd have to guess that time was a major factor. As well as the fact that they'd probably need specialized production lines to make the more complex parts that would be used. They could probably crank out more Strike Daggers than a hypothetical MP Forbidden in less time.

While they did MP the Forbidden Blue, I think that he meant the plain Forbidden that Shani used, not the underwater version.

Also, ZAFT still had a lot of GINNs and CGUEs in service, and those carried machine guns.
REGENE: (Grins) Any last words, Buuuuur-ing?
(Bring just grits his teeth and the Garazzo’s escape pod breaks off from its main body, flying straight up.)
REGENE: (Shakes head) Right then. Forgot we don’t talk on Planet You.
OpMegs

And furthermore, Raider was at least produced once more(the Full Spec version in Astray), while Calamity was completely overhauled into another design (Sword Calamity). Why neither was ever MP'd isn't really confirmed, but I figured it had something to do with the Jet Striker packs and various other options for artillery MS making for cheaper alternatives to re-building what were likely expensive prototypes.

Not to mention that the Druggie trio were most likely at least partially responsible for their given effectiveness. EAF grunts might not make as good a showing.
SNT1 wrote:"Doubt" shouldn't ever be mentioned when describing 00-Raiser (or its armaments)
Dark Duel

I dunno how valid this is, but I recall somewhere that the GAT-333 Raider Full Spec was retconned in as the original design, and that the Raider we know from the series was a hastily-designed upgraded version.

And the Raider FS got at least a limited production run, as Ed Harrelson fought several of them during the S. American Independence battle at the end of the Bloody Valentine War.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Melchior

I really don't think you can call the Forbidden Vortex/Blue or Deep Forbidden as mass production versions of Forbidden. Their role as underwater suits is drastically different.
And the Raider FS got at least a limited production run, as Ed Harrelson fought several of them during the S. American Independence battle at the end of the Bloody Valentine War.
Indeed. By my count, theres at least 9 or 10 Raider Full Specs.
HalfDemonInuyasha

Well, given the very look of the Forbidden along with the abilities of the Geschmeidig Panzer as well as their LACK of such a type of Mobile Suit, it's no real surprise the Forbidden design was turned to an underwater type really.

In terms of the Sword Calamity, it's probably because of its fixed limitations as a unit as a whole. Similar to why the Gyan-type MS never were really widely used in UC times. While they are very effective in their specific area, military heads usually want a more rounded MS, which is why the Gelgoog greatly overshadowed the Gyan by still possessing decent close-combat ability, but also much more well-rounded performance in ranged combat as well.

As mentioned, the Striker Pack-compatible Dagger/Long Dagger/Windam MS are much more well-rounded for various missions, but still being well-performing MS as a whole. Not to mention that the Duel, Buster, Strike, Blitz, and Aegis were more "basic" prototypes while the Raider, Forbidden, and Calamity were the more advanced prototypes based on data from the first batch and other MS.
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
GAT-X109 Truth

Melchior wrote:I really don't think you can call the Forbidden Vortex/Blue or Deep Forbidden as mass production versions of Forbidden. Their role as underwater suits is drastically different.
I think the Deep Forbidden and Forbidden Blue/Vortex are legitimat mass produced versions of the Forbidden. If you recall in the Earth Alliance's attacks on Orb, the forbidden did go underwater and slice ships from underneath. Maybe the forbidden was not meant for underwater use, but I think the alliance saw that it performed well underwater so they made a massed produced version of it for underwater use.
"The quickest way to slay the beast is to aim staight for the head."
-Rau Le Creuset-
razgriz

the forbidden sure did pretty well in space too, it couldve just used a lil more ranged weaponry but obviously thats what the o.g. calamity was for, to hold the lines while the forbidden did some up close thrashing
setsuna: I AM A GUNDAM!!!
graham: I AM A FLAG!!!
(setsuna giggling)
graham: NO!! i said FLLLAG!
HalfDemonInuyasha

Yeah, if you think about it, the 3 Druggies are similar to the Death Gale Team from Crossbone Gundam.

Raider being the harasser with its faster Mobile Armor mode.

Calamity being the supporter

Forbidden being the close-combat / defender.
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
AmuroNT1

Dark Duel wrote:I dunno how valid this is, but I recall somewhere that the GAT-333 Raider Full Spec was retconned in as the original design, and that the Raider we know from the series was a hastily-designed upgraded version.
Not quite like that...Clotho's Raider was a hastily-thrown-together version specifically for the Orb invasion, based off of the then-unfinished Full Spec.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Recon 5

Could the Dopplehorn pack have somehow descended from the Calamity?
Black Knight

Recon 5 wrote:Could the Dopplehorn pack have somehow descended from the Calamity?
It's an answer to the same conceptual problem as the Calamity, how to provide powerful long-range fire support in a maneuverable MS-sized package. But that's where the similarities end. I doubt there's a direct technological line between the two, as one fires beams, and the other shells.
Melchior

I remember a long time ago, it was mentioned that the Doppelhorn and the Jet Striker are both descended from the IWSP. Note the dual recoilless cannon of the Doppelhorn is very similar to those of the IWSP, as are the wings of the Jet and IWSP.
Vyron

So they did a full circle in development? Aile/Launcher to IWSP then to Jet/Doppelhorn?
CHASER

The IWSP was developed by Orb, and then pretty much stolen in design by the EA. In a way then you could say it was a full circle.
HellCat wrote:
ShadowCell wrote:I'm skipping this one if it's in suppository form, though. Like, I like Gundam, but not that friggin' much.
They decided against that because most Gundam fans already have something up their butt.