Just a curious question

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Den

Just a curious question

In the series gundam wing, there are instances that the altron gundam was using its flamethrower weapon in space, correct me if i'm wrong, but for fire to start, there should be oxygen. And in space there is no oxygen hehe pls shed some light on this topic hehe thanks
CYNICISM AT IT'S BEST

The Altron could be providing it's own oxygen for the flame.
Kavik Ryx

But it would require a significant amount of energy to cause such combustion is space. Once the flames left the tank, I doubt that they would have lasted long enough to be used effectively in combat.
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

I've heard the theory that these would be 'plasma-throwers' instead. Plasma would "burn" well enough regardless of the presence of oxygen. The only technical problem to this theory is that plasma actually loses energy rather quickly once it exits the chamber it's created in, but I suppose we don't have to mind this so much since beams travel really far in Gundam anyway. =p

The only time I remember seeing the Altron use the flamethrowers was when it was in the Lunar Base. For all we know, there was an atmosphere present.
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
CYNICISM AT IT'S BEST

yeah they had opened al those doors there could have been some atmo in the area for a sustained flame for at least a little bit.
Duraham

I'm more inclined to think that its more down-to-earth, simply using liquid oxygen along with the fuel.
Kavik Ryx

We could probably spend pages of time discussing the physics of the Altron; however, Gundam Wing is a series where the Laws of Physics are skewed to favor the main characters.
HalfDemonInuyasha

Altron also used its flamethrowers during, IIRC, the battle where they encounter the ZERO System-controlled Mobile Dolls.
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
ORegan

Kavik Ryx wrote:We could probably spend pages of time discussing the physics of the Altron; however, Gundam Wing is a series where the Laws of Physics are skewed to favor the main characters.
Lets go with his suggestion of "It just does." If UC has the m-particle, CE has the G particle or whatever, the upcoming 00 with the GN particle, FC with the Power of love, then why can't the Gundam pilots have a stream of magic running through their veins?
mcred23 wrote: Well... it's official: O'Regan is the next Hitler.
WhiteWingDemon wrote: Not to start anything, seeing as that is O'Regan's job...
ShadowCell wrote: O'Regan, quit hitting on other users.
Orrick Alexander wrote: Did anyone know that O'Regan is the reason there's no air in space?
auriga

however, Gundam Wing is a series where the Laws of Physics are skewed to favor the main characters.
Y'know, we used to have a rule regarding such responses...
ShadowCell

And we still do. If I hear anymore of that "plot armor / plot physics / plot whatever" crap, this thread gets shipped off to Siberia for a lifetime of hard labor.

'kay? 'kay.