Beam Saber Color?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
RX 93 ZZ

Beam Saber Color?

What denotes Beam Saber Color. I mean for example the RX-78-2 Gundam Has A Pink beam saber whilst the Wing Gundam Has a green one and.....the....marasi(sp?) has a yellow one.
Mobile suits: RX-93 Nu Gundam/RX-94 MP Nu(Fin Funnel Type), RGM-89S Jegan
Cars: '93 Mazda RX-7 (FD3S)
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

I theorize that it has to do with the heat of the plasma in the saber, much like the way stars have varied colors depending on their energy outputs.

The spectrum kinda goes from violet and blue (high energy), yellowish (middle), and red (low heat).

In Gundam Wing, you see all the Gundam class MS have green colored sabers and blades (with Gundanium claimed to be an excellent material for producing stronger weapons) and all non-Gundams had pink sabers like Tallgeese and the Leos. The only exception is Mercurius with its yellow blade, but that kinda makes sense because it's pretty much halfway between grunt and Gundam. :P

The only blue saber I've seen is on my Ex-S model kit. Of course ALICE has the best saber!
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
SNT1

ZetaPlus series also have blue sabers...

...and in b4 "Samuel L. Jackson purple beam saber = Bad M*********** beam saber"
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
mcred23

We don't actually know what causes beam saber colors for most universes. In UC, colors pop up more or less at random, with pink/red and yellow being the most common ones (Although blue and green, and perhaps others, do show up as well). Much like with the colors of the beams themselves, we don't actually know what causes this or if there is a way to change it or make them a certain color.

Most of the AU's would have a similar situation. About the only exception I can think of is CE, where the color of beams does actually have some meaning...
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Cardi Doorl

This question crops up every coupla months, actually. I'm surprised it took so long for it to resurface.

In the case of the UC universe, at the very least, the color of the beam saber has no correlation to how powerful it is. Generally, you've got either yellow or pink beams (though there are miscellaneous cases of blue and green ones), and they seem to correlate to whether the unit firing it is a "good guy" or "bad guy"... though even this distinction tends to vanish later on.

In UC, at least, the colors of beams seem to have no special meaning.

EDIT: Ninjer'd by Red :|
RPG TRINARY: Gaia
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Cardi Doorl

Make sure to check out the RPG section!
HalfDemonInuyasha

In terms of blue colors, before it was turned to yellow, we can't forget how Char's MS-14S Gelgoog Commander Type's twin beam sword/naginata was blue colored too, lol.
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
Dean_the_Young

mcred23 wrote: Most of the AU's would have a similar situation. About the only exception I can think of is CE, where the color of beams does actually have some meaning...
What meaning was that?
I'm sorry this letter is so long, but I did not have time to make it shorter. -Mark Twain

Official Jerid Fanboy
mcred23

I personally don't know, but there is (Or is strongly thought to be) some difference between the various beams and their power levels. I'm sure someone who knows more on that subject could go into details about it.

Haros_Pet_Kat

Apparently Lohengrin and Tanhauss beams are among the strongest, if color and appearance means anything.
Chris wrote:Haha...you jackanapes have all been fooled by my ninja editing skills!
HalfDemonInuyasha

Somehow, I think (almost) any multi-colored beam (which are usually "multi-phase" cannons) are usually more powerful than "single" colored beams (usual plain green and yellow ones).

Though, HOW much stronger each beam is from another isn't really widely known except for their general use. From JUST appearance and colors, it'd LOOK like there's really not much difference between...

A.) Lohengrin Positron Cannon

B.) Super / Scyllia multi-phase cannon (Destroy / Aegis, Calamity, Sword Calamity)

C.) Zorn beam cannon (Raider)
D.) Zorn Mk II (Destroy)
E.) Hresvelgr induction cannon (Forbidden)
F.) Agni Hyper Impulse Cannon (Launcher Striker)
G.) Baleena Plasma Cannon / Kai (Freedom / Abyss)
H.) Type 73F modified high-energy beam cannon (Akatsuki)
I.) Orthros high-energy long-range beam cannon (Gunner ZAKU)
J.) Callidus multi-phase beam cannon (Strike Freedom)

...and various other beam cannons of such calibur since they are all the same mixture of colors and seemingly similar power (except for the Lohengrin).

Obviously, though, their primary usage shows that the Lohengrin is the strongest out of such weapons since they're made primarily for warships for assaulting enemy strongholds and fleets (only exception being the Astray Blue Frame Second L with its Lohengrin Launcher). And, at least appearance-wise and from the very name, the "Super" Scyllia of the Destroy Gundam would come in next.

As for the others...it's tricky to tell.
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
Bremics

Didn't we have a thread a while a go about this :?:
Pray she never meets Athrun.
Duraham

well, for UC beam weapons, a quick summary would be

monoeye --> yellow
anything else --> pink

as for beam sabers,

monoeye --> yellow
good guy --> pink
bad guy non monoeye --> green
mcred23

That doesn't always hold true, the Gelgoog's blue beam saber being one example (Although it is also shown as yellow). It also doesn't really give an in-universe reason as to why the colors switch (Or why groups like the Federation have built machines with pink, yellow and green beam sabers), which is something we really can't explain. :|

Jak Stoller

In series reason, diffrent gases used for the plasmas. This isn't DBZ, your aura doesn't grant you mo-powa, theres no signs of beam saber color making any real diffrence at all (so please no blue=pownzorz!!1!OneOne BS...)

Out of series, its simply another way for the fan to identify the unit he's watching, so it doesn't look so much like a bunch of shapes smashing into each other.

--Jak
Ork_dreadnought

Cardi Doorl wrote:This question crops up every coupla months, actually. I'm surprised it took so long for it to resurface.

In the case of the UC universe, at the very least, the color of the beam saber has no correlation to how powerful it is.
Um, I feel it pertinant to mention the two "beam saber hotspring" scenes in 08th ms team. The colour of the beam noticably changes as the setting is turned down. What that means for other makes of saber is open to debate, but there is evidence that colour of beam can vary according to output.
NAMSOC's mecha fanboy
mcred23

In the case of 08th MS Team, the beam saber went from pink to red when they adjusted the power. Cardi was talking more along the lines of "Pink sabers aren't more powerful than yellow which are no more powerful than green etc etc etc", the very different colored sabers.

HalfDemonInuyasha

Yeah, the amount of output a beam saber is emitting seems to be the only way for 1 to truly be stronger than another. Like when Gato maxed out the GP02A's beam saber and managed to force it through the GP01Fb's beam saber, the simple power of the ZZ's hyper beam sabers , and how Char, in Char's Counterattack, comments about the Sazabi's beam saber being weaker than the Nu Gundam's large beam saber.
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Right, the 08th MS team case was the one I forgot to mention.

What Shiro did was lower the heat in his beam saber; he wanted the water to simply melt instead of comletely ionize (which would have completely ruined the mood). The plasma in his saber was naturally reddish, but it glows more brightly/whitish on higher levels of heat, and emits less light on lower heat settings. Imagine heating a piece of steel until it was red, and then upping the temperature until it was white-hot. That's the jist of that.
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel