Mega Beam Saber?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Paragon

Mega Beam Saber?

The Mega Beam Saber on The Dendrobium Orchis and Meteor was an Awesome pieces of Equipment. Can the Dendrobium's Mega Beam Saber be used by a Mobile Suit?
ORegan

Um...will it be able to hold it is a better question :P

But i don't think a mobile suit would have the reactor requirements to use a gigantic beam saber like that.
mcred23 wrote: Well... it's official: O'Regan is the next Hitler.
WhiteWingDemon wrote: Not to start anything, seeing as that is O'Regan's job...
ShadowCell wrote: O'Regan, quit hitting on other users.
Orrick Alexander wrote: Did anyone know that O'Regan is the reason there's no air in space?
mcred23

Given that the beam saber on the Dendrobium Orchis looks to be bigger than a mobile suit, I doubt any normal MS could actually use it. There is something of a reason why those kinds of weapons are mounted on huge mobile armor-type machines rather than being carried into battle by a mobile suit.
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Maelstromm

Then what about the Psyco Gundam or the Quin Mantha? Both are larger than the average MS, so I assume that they would be able to handle both the energy requirements and the beam sabre itself, but it seems superfluous when the Quin Mantha has its own 1.8 mW beam sabre and when the Psyco Gundam is loaded with beam weaponary...:|
Gahh!!! My kingdom for a signature!!!!
Any takers?
valkyriepilot

Don't you think you're just answering your own question? :roll:

And also it's a case of different era and technology, even though they're just a few years apart, designs in the Gundam Universe usually progress at such a fast pace. What may work for designs that came from a previous era may not be applicable/redundant/impractical for the succeeding ones. As you mentioned, the Quinn Mantha and the Psyco both have much more powerful beam weaponry, so why bother with a humongous saber when you can do the job with something smaller and more efficiently?
Maelstromm

And that would be my point, I was attempting to point out the fact that even if the Psyco Gundam or Quin Mantha can use the Orchis's beam sabre doesn't mean they need to...irregardless of its compatibility...correlation does not imply causation my friend...
Any takers?
Recon 5

While no other Mobile Suit would be able to simply pick up the Orchis's weapon and use it (compatibility issues and all), IIRC other MS like the ones you mentioned (and IIRC the ZZ Gundam but don't you take my word for it) have beam sabers which should be able to produce an equally large blade. However, rated power =/= size because it might simply mean a much more intense beam blade.
Maelstromm

Oh, I see, but does the intensity of the beam blade affect its size in anyway? I know that the cutting ability of the blade will increase, but are there any other more visible effects? Color or otherwise?
Any takers?
Recon 5

Depends on the power output of the saber. For the same output, a larger beam= a beam with less intensity. Also, the beam would always be the same color regardless of intensity. What would change is the definition (visual sharpness) of the beam- higher intensity= better definition.
Maelstromm

Hmm, intriguing, so the definition would be an indicator of intensity, if so, is there an upper limit of this visual sharpness? Like to a point where it's out of the range of visible light? And does the size of the beam sabre play a part in it's intensity? Like would the Nu Gundam's beam sabre at 0.78 MW be weaker than the Quin Mantha's 1.8 MW sabre if the two suits pumped an equal amount of power into their sabres?
Any takers?
frozen_amuro_ray

Mega sabers i guess are different from "hyper" or "long" beam sabers used by the ZZ, Nu (supposedely) , and X Gundams, amongst others. But those huge mobile armor "megas"?? baby there's no way a normal suit could handle its mass without using the actual mobile armor system, whether it be orochis or meteor. and the quin isn't that huge, is it? Psycho on the other hand, is monstrous. Maybe that thing could handle it haha, but, y'know, other than that, who knows. Then again, the Shining Gundam was able to stabilize its HUGE shining finger sword...i guess you never know!
Recon 5

Technically, a human would be able to wield an Orchis (or even Psycho)- sized beam saber provided it has an emitter small and light enough for him to hold. The blades are not supposed to have mass. If I could emit a 10- storey high beam blade from my index finger I would have no problem holding it steady.
Strike Zero

Couple of things I feel compelled to point out here:
frozen_amuro_ray wrote: and the quin isn't that huge, is it?
It is. The Quin Mantha it's exactly as tall as the Psycho Gundam Mk.II, give or take a few meters.
frozen_amuro_ray wrote:
Then again, the Shining Gundam was able to stabilize its HUGE shining finger sword...i guess you never know!
True, but it's kind of moot to use G Gundam technology to prove a point, since all those machines seem to run on courage and hot blood or something like that.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Maelstromm

Recon 5 wrote:Technically, a human would be able to wield an Orchis (or even Psycho)- sized beam saber provided it has an emitter small and light enough for him to hold. The blades are not supposed to have mass. If I could emit a 10- storey high beam blade from my index finger I would have no problem holding it steady.
Interesting, so I would assume from your statement that the size of the beam sabre plays no role in the intensity of the beam sabre, so would that indicate that the beam sabre solely relies on the MS to function?
Last edited by Maelstromm on Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Any takers?
Recon 5

*sigh*

The whole thing's really complex, but you seem to have misinterpreted my statements (no insult intended). I'll try and start from the beginning...

All 'beam' technology in the UC, beam sabers especially, function using 'clouds' of agitated Minovsky particles bounded by magnetic (or electromagnetic) fields.

The 'output' of any beam saber simply determines (a) the amount of particles in the blade, (b) the energy possessed by these particles or (c) both. The size of the resulting saber would be determined by the size of its bounding magnetic field.

If you follow this reasoning, you will be able to tie these factors (output and field size) to all aspects of a beam saber including cutting effect and color.

The important thing to note when we try to study the influence of various factors is that one of them has to be controlled. In this case, lets say the factor is constant.

As mentioned, two aspects determine the nature of a UC beam blade.

1. Lets say the OUTPUT is constant but the field size varies.
- If the field size is INCREASED, the particles will be more dispersed. This results in a larger overall blade with a lower intensity due to more dispersed Minovsky particles. The blade would also have a less defined appearance, even becoming 'misty' or translucent with sufficient dispersion.
- If the field size is DECREASED, the opposite occurs. The particles are focused into a smaller area and intensity increases. The beam becomes more solid and sharply defined.

2. Now we make the FIELD SIZE constant and vary the output.
- At lower output there are fewer or less active particles in the field. Intensity naturally decreases and the blade becomes less defined.
- At higher output the opposite occurs.

As for the color of the beam blades, any vibrating particles release some of their energy in the form of electromagnetic waves. Depending on the frequency of the particle vibrations, the resulting EM waves might fall into different parts of the visible spectrum. In a single beam saber, the particles all generally vibrate at the same frequency, thus the saber is a uniform color and not some psychedelic rainbow. However, different models of beam saber may have particles vibrating at different frequencies, hence the color.

Something worth noting: When two beam sabers clash, the colliding particles gain more energy and this changes the frequency of the electromagnetic waves they emit. This explains why the 'flash' of colliding beam sabers is often a different color than either of the colliding sabers.
Maelstromm

Sorry for distressing you, but perhaps I phrased my statement inaccurately, by size of the beam sabre I meant the size of the handle, not the beam blade itself, so I'm sorry for any confusion I may have caused...:(
Any takers?
Recon 5

Ah... well, its my mistake, then. Alright, I'll try and answer your query based on your most recent post and your previous post.

You're asking about the connection between the size of the handle and the size of the beam blade, correct?

To be VERY specific, there IS no DIRECT connection. The size of the blade is determined by the power of the beam emitter and the strength of the focusing field. However, by extension, a larger handle would be needed to store more powerful emitters and field generators.

So, simply put,

larger handle -/-> larger blade (normally),

BUT:

larger handle -> more powerful emitter + field generator -> larger blade.

Now, this doesn't take into account technology differences between beam sabers. Miniaturization might halve the size of the saber's field generator and emitter, therefore halving the size of the handle without necessarily halving the size of the blade.

Does this make sense?
Maelstromm

Yes, thank you for putting up with me, and if I may, I would like to ask one more question - if size has no direct connection between the handle and beam blade, would it be correct to assume the Quin Mantha's beam sabre would be larger than the Nu's beam sabre if they both pumped an equal amount of power into their sabres? Or are the beam sabres not reliant on the MS to function?
Any takers?
Recon 5

You have to look at the technology of each saber.

Like I said in my long, rambling explanation, the size of the beam sabers depends on the size of the bounding magnetic field. Different sabers are designed to produce fields of different sizes, so you would have to look at the size of the magnetic field produced by the Quin's saber and compare it to that of the Nu's saber.

For the same amount of power, the Quin's saber would be bigger (and less intense/ effective) than the Nu's ONLY IF the magnetic field it produces is bigger.

As for reliance on the MS, beam sabers only rely on the MS to supply power. The actual connection between input power and output (blade size/ sharpness) is determined by the saber's construction.
Maelstromm

I see, so the beam is held in place by a magnetic field, just curious, but is it possible to manipulate the magnetic field and change the shape of the beam sabre from a standard beam into a rapier-style beam blade for more precise attacks?
Any takers?