Mega Beam Saber?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Gadget

In theory, yes. In practice, no. It's just a waste of time and money. A beam saber is to destroy another ms, not surgically remove the pilot, or an arm. The nearst beam rapier in UC is the Gyan. Although it's more a beam sword. That's the nearest 'pointy' beam saber I know of.

And other uses of beam weapons is the beam flag by Berga Dalasin the F91 story. Honestly speaking, I wonder what would happen if anyone flies into that flag.
Maelstromm

Oh, in that case, would the beam signs of the Astray Out Frame have the ability to manipulate the magnetic field? I base this on the fact that it can change its shape as well as color...
Gahh!!! My kingdom for a signature!!!!
Any takers?
Ascension

Gadget wrote:A beam saber is to destroy another ms, not surgically remove the pilot
A beam saber may not be, but Crossbone Vanguard gives us the beam shot lancer which is designed to surgically remove the pilot... so the concept is valid, at least.
Don't call it a comeback...
...in fact, it's best if you forget I was ever here before.
Recon 5

I actually stated in my first technical blab that I was explaining UC beam sabers. Trying to explain most AU (e.g. After War, Cosmic Era, Future Century etc.) beam sabers would be as tough (for me, I can only speak for myself here) as explaining your aforementioned Shining Finger Sword.

That is, unless you accept that those sabers work on the power of love (and I might add courage and hope).
Dendrobium Stamen

Ascension wrote:A beam saber may not be, but Crossbone Vanguard gives us the beam shot lancer which is designed to surgically remove the pilot... so the concept is valid, at least.
Did they? Not to nitpick, but I was under the impression that the CV only developed physical shot-lancers, and it was the SNRI who developed a beam version for one of the many, many F90 variations. After all, a beam shot-lancer defeats the point of the weapon, which is intended to incapacitate an MS without it exploding, which tends to happen as a side-effect of beam weapons interacting with Minovsky reactors ...
"Trust me, I know what I'm doing." - Sledge Hammer.
A Wind Raging Through, a Destiny sidestory.
Maelstromm

Recon 5 wrote:I actually stated in my first technical blab that I was explaining UC beam sabers. Trying to explain most AU (e.g. After War, Cosmic Era, Future Century etc.) beam sabers would be as tough (for me, I can only speak for myself here) as explaining your aforementioned Shining Finger Sword.

That is, unless you accept that those sabers work on the power of love (and I might add courage and hope).
I see, so in that case, has there ever been an occurance of a MS visibly changing the shape of its beam sabre by manipulating the magnetic field?
Any takers?
CHASER

The only case of changing shapes I can recall are the beam signs on the Astray Out Frame, which you can see some where down its MAHQ profile.
HellCat wrote:
ShadowCell wrote:I'm skipping this one if it's in suppository form, though. Like, I like Gundam, but not that friggin' much.
They decided against that because most Gundam fans already have something up their butt.
Maelstromm

Perhaps I should specify for incidents happeing only in UC...in any case, is there a reason why the Astray Out Frame is able to alter the shape of its beam signs?
Any takers?
Recon 5

Having not seen most of the UC animes, I can't say anything about beam saber size changes in the anime, but IIRC the Zeta's saber could grow to immense lengths with the bio- sensor active. However, that can easily be attributed to some inexplicable Newtype phenomena so I will not try to elaborate further.

Beyond that, I can't recall any changes in beam saber size or shape (or color :D) that were NOT due to animation error. It would have been technologically possible, though.

You'll need to consult a CE expert about the Astray beam signs, but what I'll say is that the Out Frame's beam sign handles could probably generate a 'suspended' magnetic field between them thus allowing for the formation of a body of beam particles.

For the times it used just one handle, a 'trailing' magnetic field could have been generated.

In addition, the magnetic field generators on the beam signs were probably designed to allow fine manipulation of the created fields (in terms of both overall shape and local intensity), allowing for 'shaped' or even 'textured' and multicolored beams.
Maelstromm

I see, may I request a CE expert for assistance? :lol:

In any case, is there any practical reason and/ or purpose to alter the shape of the beam sign?
Any takers?