About the GM Custom

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
CYNICISM AT IT'S BEST

About the GM Custom

Ok I was just looking at the Customs profile and I noticed that it's called a "mass production general purpose multi-class mobile suit", now as I understand the terms, general purpose and multi-class should be the same thing, am I just misunderstanding this or is it a typo?
jam!

I think "multi-class" means it has modular parts while "general purpose" means that its basic layout allows it to operate on almost any field of combat with no/minimal reconfigurations/modifications.
Toxicity

Jam!'s definition of multi class makes sense to me as well, because isn't the GM Cannon II just more or less a GM custom with chobam armor and beam cannons?
mcred23

Actually, I think the "mass production general purpose multi-class mobile suit" may just be an outdated label left over from some time ago. The "general purpose" and "multi-class" parts do mean more or less the exact same thing, it's a general purpose MS that can fill most roles in combat to one extent or another. Sounds to me like it's the sort of thing that needs to be corrected (Which should be pointed out Profile Correction Thread.)
jam! wrote:I think "multi-class" means it has modular parts
I don't think that make sense, as I've never heard of the GM Custom being any more "modular" than any other GM.
Toxicity wrote:because isn't the GM Cannon II just more or less a GM custom with chobam armor and beam cannons?
More or less is right. The Cannon II is based on the Custom, but with the armor, cannons, a better generator, and assorted other changes that were doubtlessly made to it.
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
ZeonfromHell

Toxicity wrote:Jam!'s definition of multi class makes sense to me as well, because isn't the GM Cannon II just more or less a GM custom with chobam armor and beam cannons?
That's about right; beam cannons and chobalm. Plus, it has a single beam saber in a wrist-mounted recharge rack, as the GM Custom's was in a backpack mount. Also, since the 'Cannon II was heavier, it has more thruster coverage.
Patriotism is not a magnetic ribbon.
CYNICISM AT IT'S BEST

I would think the Cannon II would also have a better avionics package for it's to give it better long range capabilities, and thanks red, I figured as much on that, thought it was a little odd.
jam!

Well Red, I think it does make sense based on what was pointed out about the GM Cannon II since it was arguably derived from the GM Custom.

I wouldn't say GMs are particularly modular since the different GM variants had widescale changes made to them for the most part (yes, there are exceptions).

Perhaps it's due to the "multi-class" feature that the GM Customs are called "Customs". They're customisable to mission roles. In other words, the base GM Custom succeeds in all fields filling the same role as the GM. The GM Cannon II mod. of the GM Custom succeeds in the role of the Guncannon. Other modifications could succeed otherwise and so on. So the "multiple classes" would be close-range, long-range, medium-range, etc.
CYNICISM AT IT'S BEST

No I don't think it works that way, at least we never saw that, the Cannon II, while derived from the chassis of the Custom, is a different unit altogethor, many of the armor modules were replaced and other covered over, the head was altered and the beam saber relocated and the more obvious being the backpack and cannons, and I would assume that tthe avionics are changed for better targets at long range, to me that's just too many changes to be a modular unit IMO, plus we never saw any other forms of the unit.
HalfDemonInuyasha

I suppose "Custom" can also fit because of the rarity of the unit. Given its high cost of production, there weren't that many made. Only 3 that are known of in 0083 (Burning, Monsha, and Bates) and the one/few from the Zeta Gundam movie trilogy. It was probably not that many, though.

Probably less than 50 like the GM Sniper Custom and the GM Sniper Custom II...never saw any exact numbers given. And both are "Custom", yet are not modular at all. Just better performance overall than other "normal" GM units at the time.
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
jam!

CYNICISM AT IT'S BEST wrote:No I don't think it works that way, at least we never saw that, the Cannon II, while derived from the chassis of the Custom, is a different unit altogethor, many of the armor modules were replaced and other covered over, the head was altered and the beam saber relocated and the more obvious being the backpack and cannons, and I would assume that tthe avionics are changed for better targets at long range, to me that's just too many changes to be a modular unit IMO, plus we never saw any other forms of the unit.
If you're considering "modular" to be snapping-on equipment like how the Strike and Impulse do then yeah, modular is something different but if you consider the meaning of the actual word, it's the replacement/rearrangement of different modules for different capabilities. Therefore, swapping the head module, backpack module, utilizing chobham armour and additional weapons all fits into the scheme of a modular machine.
toysdream

"Multi-class" is a mistranslation. This should be "multi-role" or "multipurpose." In some of the older editions of the MS Encyclopedia, the mobile suit type classifications distinguished between the terms 汎用 (han'you, or "general-purpose") and 多目的 (tamokuteki, or "multipurpose"). The former term indicates that the mobile suit can be used in all environments, rather than just Earth or space; the second indicates that it can be used for any mission role. As a result, mobile suits like the GM Custom are classified as 汎用多目的型, or general-purpose multi-role types.

The other Gundam 0083 machines have similarly precise classifications. The GM Cannon II is a general-purpose bombardment and support type; the Gundam GP01 Full Vernian is a space multi-role type; the Xamel is a ground bombardment type; the Gelgoog Marine is a space fighter type; and so forth. In other series, they generally don't bother with all these details and just use 汎用 (general-purpose) to indicate a generic mobile suit.

-- Mark
EZero8

jam! wrote:Therefore, swapping the head module, backpack module, utilizing chobham armour and additional weapons all fits into the scheme of a modular machine.
Well technically all GM's made during the OYW and up to 0088 have done the same thing. If I remember correctly, they all pretty much used the same old GM frame with tweaks here and there visually and performance-wise. Does that make the GM a modular design? I wouldnt think so.
ShadowCell wrote:"Poor fool, ShadowCell!" you say. "You can't win against fandom stupidity with the Power of the Mod!"
mcred23

EZero8 wrote:If I remember correctly, they all pretty much used the same old GM frame with tweaks here and there visually and performance-wise. Does that make the GM a modular design? I wouldnt think so.
Exactly. Frame-wise, there is little difference between the various GM types. And thanks to Mark pointing out the translation error, we know for sure that it's a general-purpose multi-role suit with nothing modular about it...
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
jam!

Oh.
There goes my idea.