Quick Question about the Alpha Fighter Veritech

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
WingZero20xx

Quick Question about the Alpha Fighter Veritech

i might get some flak for this but in robotech: new generation, whats the purpose of the alpha fighter veritech having two heads in battloid mode. i see it has that one big head and to the side of it is a smaller head.

can someone explain what the deal is
OpMegs

That's the VF-6's radar array, actually.
SNT1 wrote:"Doubt" shouldn't ever be mentioned when describing 00-Raiser (or its armaments)
WingZero20xx

why would the designers leave it exposed like that. i mean the veritech vf-1s seemed fine without exposing their radar like that, y the downgrade with the seemingly more advanced vf-6
OpMegs

Because the Alpha is, in Robotech canon, the superior to the VF-1 in every respect. Greater sensor range, faster speed, better maneuverability, able to get into confined areas better due to the shorter height, and insanely more heavily armed.

In a meta sense, it's because the Alpha was originally the LEGIOS from Genesis Climber Mospeada, and the first of its kind. Any information regarding why the Alpha/LEGIOS looks like it does has to take into account that its identity as the VF-6 is a result of retconning it into the Robotech hybrid continuity.
SNT1 wrote:"Doubt" shouldn't ever be mentioned when describing 00-Raiser (or its armaments)
WingZero20xx

well lemme ask, from a robotech sense, y do u think that the radar was left exposed like that
OpMegs

Given the Alpha's greater sensor range, and the fact that many dedicated sensor aircraft, such as AWACS planes and such, have exposed radar sensors, it's possible that that's what gives the Alpha its superior radar range to the VF-1. If you look at the Macross section of Robotech, there are dedicated recon Valkyries that sport exposed radar dishes as well. This could be a combat version of the same concept, as the radar sensor is much smaller and harder to hit anyway.
Opiatr

I watched the Macross Saga a long time ago when I was a kid, and I just re-watched them all. I have to say, I was not impressed with the animation/design of the newer Mecha in Masters or New Generation. I don't know much about canon, but the artists seem to have dropped the ball.
Chris
Administrator

Opiatr wrote:I watched the Macross Saga a long time ago when I was a kid, and I just re-watched them all. I have to say, I was not impressed with the animation/design of the newer Mecha in Masters or New Generation. I don't know much about canon, but the artists seem to have dropped the ball.
Uhh, are you aware that Robotech was edited together from three completely different series? The mecha in Robotech Masters (Southern Cross) and New Generation (Mospeada) are from completely different shows with different staff and designers. They're not supposed to look anything alike.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
WingZero20xx

i kno that robotech is made up of 3 different series, but i think its a little more than coincidence that all 3 shows have mechs that have 3 stages of transformation (jet mode, half jet half humanoid, and full humanoid)

hasnt anyone ever wondered the sheer coincidence of that
Chris
Administrator

WingZero20xx wrote:i kno that robotech is made up of 3 different series, but i think its a little more than coincidence that all 3 shows have mechs that have 3 stages of transformation (jet mode, half jet half humanoid, and full humanoid)

hasnt anyone ever wondered the sheer coincidence of that
No, there's nothing at all to consider about that. Macross set off the transforming real robot craze of the 1980s, which every real robot show that followed copied, including Southern Cross and Mospeada. Orguss also copied three-stage transformation, and even though it had much the same staff as Macross, it still has no relation either. It's nothing more than a coincidence.
J-Lead

Chris wrote:No, there's nothing at all to consider about that. Macross set off the transforming real robot craze of the 1980s, which every real robot show that followed copied, including Southern Cross and Mospeada. Orguss also copied three-stage transformation, and even though it had much the same staff as Macross, it still has no relation either. It's nothing more than a coincidence.
Well, Macross and Southern Cross were both from the Super Dimension series, so the similarity between the two there isn't as ambiguous as Mospeada. :?
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
Aegis

Similar, perhaps, but still no more related. The words 'Super Dimension' also happens to be a name that others picked up on in order to make their titles look cool. People will mimic or follow the so-called next big craze, and shows like Southern Cross is no different than the others. This is not a new phenomenon or a strange occurrence, thus there's truly nothing to look into.
Chris
Administrator

J-Lead wrote:Well, Macross and Southern Cross were both from the Super Dimension series, so the similarity between the two there isn't as ambiguous as Mospeada. :?
The Super Dimension name really means nothing, as they had different staffs and no relation aside from the name. It's no different from all the Brave series. It doesn't change the fact that it's merely a coincidence that the series have transforming planes, as that was the rage at the time.
Opiatr

Chris wrote:Uhh, are you aware that Robotech was edited together from three completely different series? The mecha in Robotech Masters (Southern Cross) and New Generation (Mospeada) are from completely different shows with different staff and designers. They're not supposed to look anything alike.
Actually yeah, I was aware of all that. All I'm saying is that in Masters and New Generation, the Mecha look terrible. There's no need to get defensive Chris.
Gadget

Actully, I do like the mecha from Mospeda. If I could never fly any veriable fighters, I dun mind riding the MOSPEDA system. Just walk up to the Highway police, run and transform right in front of them.

I cannot speak for the rest of the people in this forum, but as for me, I feel that Robotech is a rip off from three different Japanese anime. Instead of being true to the Macross saga, they basterised the whole story, in the name of profit.

The other problem is copy-right. This is really messy. But I think Big-West may not have a share of all the profits of Robotech. Now, even a respected comic like Wild Storm/DC is retconning the whole thing. And this fly in conflit of Macross Zero. So this lead to two different story, but using the same anime and same character. Sorry, only Roy Fokker retain his name on both story.
Chris
Administrator

Opiatr wrote:
Chris wrote:Uhh, are you aware that Robotech was edited together from three completely different series? The mecha in Robotech Masters (Southern Cross) and New Generation (Mospeada) are from completely different shows with different staff and designers. They're not supposed to look anything alike.
Actually yeah, I was aware of all that. All I'm saying is that in Masters and New Generation, the Mecha look terrible. There's no need to get defensive Chris.
Who said anything about getting defensive? From your previous post, it sounded like you thought all the Robotech mecha were designed by the same people and that the artists "dropped the ball" on later series.
MrMarch

Big West has no share in any Robotech profits. The rights for international distribution of the Super Dimension Fortress Macross (SDFM) series was apparently sold to Harmony Gold (HG) via Tatsunoko Porductions. Recent court cases have reconfirmed this. You can blame Big West/Studio Nue and Tatsunoko Productions for very loose and improperly defined agreements way back in 1982 when the original SDFM was made and released in Japan.

However, Big West/Studio Nue has solid claim to all the character/mecha designs for Macorss and all subsequent sequel properties.

What does this mean? No one is really sure and things have not yet developed where they would come to a head legally. As most understand it, HG can still legally sell the original SDFM series internationally and can sell merchandise like comics and toys based on that series. However, they have no legal claim to any other Macross production and further cannot use the character/mecha designs of SDFM in any new animated productions of their own. Many have called this speculation, but the reality of the new Robotech Shadow Chronicles seems to confirm this fact. Almost no mention of anything Macross-related is to be found in the new animated show and those Macross related aspects that are apparent are specifically altered to avoid Macross terminology ("alien" rather than "Zentradi" for example). Also, all the character and mecha designs have been derived from the Genesis Climber Mospeada (GCM) rights that HG supposedly owns.

Macross Zero is pure Macross and as such will obviously have nothing to do with HG or their Robotech properties. Which is all for the best as HG should have no influence on anything Macross ever again.
Chris wrote:Who said anything about getting defensive? From your previous post, it sounded like you thought all the Robotech mecha were designed by the same people and that the artists "dropped the ball" on later series.
Chris is correct on this one. Aside from Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross and Genesis Climber Mospeda being transforming robot shows (and Southern Cross sharing the "Super Dimension" moniker), the three shows have absolutley nothing to do with each other.

The "Super Dimension" phrase that appears in Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross or the anime Super Dimension Century Orguss does not imply anything to do with Macross. There is nor more link or coincidence with Macross because of the shared terms "Super Dimension" than there is between Mobile Police Patlabor and Mobile Suit Gundam for sharing the word "Mobile" in the title.
Last edited by MrMarch on Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.