Velcro vs. zero- g

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Recon 5

Velcro vs. zero- g

Tomino wrote in his Gundam novels about Musai crews wearing uniforms with multiple velcroed surfaces so that they could literally 'stick' to walls and floors while in zero- g, thus avoiding the problem of floating undesirably. Is this a practical solution to the problem?
valkyriepilot

I guess this is as practical as it gets, Velcro is relatively cheap to manufacture, as opposed to, say, wearing magnetic boots (expensive and needs a surface that can be magnetized) or some artificial gravity solution (waaay too expensive and complex).
Last edited by valkyriepilot on Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
dreacon

and its most likely cheeper than the Rail systems used in the show.
We're oft' t' blame and this tis' too much prove'd that with devotion's visage and pious action we do sugar o'er the devil himself.
mcred23

dreacon wrote:and its most likely cheeper than the Rail systems used in the show.
Totally different thing. The lift grips are ment to move people around in Zero-G quickly and easily, while clothing with velcro and magnetic boots and things like that are ment to keep them standing in a single spot.

And the lift grips are in the book anyway. 8)
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Recon 5

Considering the way we normally separate velcroed surfaces, the way they 'walk' in Musais would be very interesting indeed...
Sarge133

This could actually be a good idea. Does this mean the Musai is carpeted?
dreacon

Just one other thing...

Which part har the Harsh part of the Velcro?
the boots or the floor?
cause, if its the floor....
well i foresee pain in the event of slaming into it.

oh and thanks for clearing up the rail issue.
We're oft' t' blame and this tis' too much prove'd that with devotion's visage and pious action we do sugar o'er the devil himself.
mcred23

dreacon wrote: Which part har the Harsh part of the Velcro?
the boots or the floor?
cause, if its the floor....
well i foresee pain in the event of slaming into it.
Well, although I don't think they ever went that far in the MSG books, I'd think they'd put the softer side on the floor for the reason you mention. :P
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
dreacon

ooh, misspell city on my part.
any how, doesn't NASA use Velcro on the Shuttles and space stations, primarily to keep the damn fools in space from floating about in their sleep?
Recon 5

Quite simple. Recall that when you pull two pieces of Velcro apart you tend to briefly apply more force than necessary, which results in your hands 'jerking' in opposite directions for a split second after the pieces separate.

Now imagine that happening in a zero- g environment, and imagine it happening to an astronaut who pulls his Velcroed sole off a Velcro carpet. Got the image? Now imagine having to walk across the deck of a ship in zero- g with a Velcro carpet and Velcro boots- talk about serious high- stepping...
Gadget

I think when they are stationary, they will use velcro. When the astronauts have to move from one end to the other, they use hand/foot grips.
razgriz

i would hope that the space age velcro or hook and loop tape :roll: if you want to be non trademark advanced enough not to ware out so fast, eventually velcro nowadays loses its grip after too much ripping and sticking.
setsuna: I AM A GUNDAM!!!
graham: I AM A FLAG!!!
(setsuna giggling)
graham: NO!! i said FLLLAG!
J-Lead

Oh gawd...I'm getting chills when I imagine how ridiculous fearless Zeon Officers would look high-stepping their way through a velcro bridge floor after saluting. :lol:

*rip-stomp* *rip-stomp* *rip-stomp*

I hope it's a weaker velcro than most of us are thinking of...
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."