Super Gundam's Variable Form?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
EZero8

Super Gundam's Variable Form?

I was looking through MAHQ's mecha profiles today in search for various models of Zeta MS. During my search, I came across Katoki's version of the Super Gundam. Apparently, this version has a variable form as well.

Granted that this was Katoki's Super Gundam, I'm curious as to whether this is a canon ability for the Super Gundam? It sure seems plausible, yet being a redesign would make it more or less non-canon. Any thoughts?
ShadowCell wrote:"Poor fool, ShadowCell!" you say. "You can't win against fandom stupidity with the Power of the Mod!"
abrahamsen0

Yes the original does the same transformation it's called the g-cruiser mode. Which really isn't a big transformation. Same suit just a little bit different design but still serves the same purpose. Not a big redesign as other's done by Katoki.
EZero8

In that case, I must've missed something when watching Zeta because I can't remember ever seeing it in "G-Cruiser" mode during the series. :?
ShadowCell wrote:"Poor fool, ShadowCell!" you say. "You can't win against fandom stupidity with the Power of the Mod!"
Kuruni

For name, SRW A and SRW R call flight mode as G-Flyer.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Aegis

More like said flight mode in the series was just the G-Defensor docked on the back and left at that. When it actually stops to attack, all it is is just core fighter off, and beam gun pulled off by its hand. :P It's why you never even noticed it in the TV series since there's no real transformation involved at all. :P Here with Katoki's version, the wings actually do fold up and down, while the feet fold back for a somewhat more MA-like feel.
Last edited by Aegis on Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
razgriz

eh figures that whoever was the pilot decided to just leave the transforming to camille and the zeta or that they thought that cruising performance and agility while in ms mode was sufficient without any "streamlining" they were just happy to have the BFG :wink:
setsuna: I AM A GUNDAM!!!
graham: I AM A FLAG!!!
(setsuna giggling)
graham: NO!! i said FLLLAG!
abrahamsen0

EZero8 wrote:In that case, I must've missed something when watching Zeta because I can't remember ever seeing it in "G-Cruiser" mode during the series. :?
I have a ? for you. I have'nt seen Zeta Gundam yet just clips and I never saw the Super Gundam in action. Does it use it's beam sabres, shield and rifle while it's docked with the G-defenser or is it restricted to the G-defensers weapons? Also as big as it is when docked does it still move like mobile suit because I know the sides of the G-defenser cover the shoulder's so does that restrict it's movements or do they move to let the Gundam Mark perform stuff like beam sabre slashes and what not?
EZero8

Aegis wrote:More like said flight mode in the series was just the G-Defensor docked on the back and left at that. When it actually stops to attack, all it is is just core fighter off, and beam gun pulled off by its hand. :P It's why you never even noticed it in the TV series since there's no real transformation involved at all. :P Here with Katoki's version, the wings actually do fold up and down, while the feet fold back for a somewhat more MA-like feel.
Ahhh.. that explains why I missed it. But in the end, could the transformation used in Katoki's version be pulled off with the Okawara version? I'm skeptical, but it'd be interesting to have some sort of confirmation.
I have a ? for you. I have'nt seen Zeta Gundam yet just clips and I never saw the Super Gundam in action. Does it use it's beam sabres, shield and rifle while it's docked with the G-defenser or is it restricted to the G-defensers weapons? Also as big as it is when docked does it still move like mobile suit because I know the sides of the G-defenser cover the shoulder's so does that restrict it's movements or do they move to let the Gundam Mark perform stuff like beam sabre slashes and what not?
It's been awhile since I've seen Zeta (almost four years even), so my memory of it is pretty fuzzy at best with details such as these. I'm sure the Super Gundam could easily use the Mk. II's weapons without problems, even the beam sabers.
Last edited by EZero8 on Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aegis

abrahamsen0 wrote:I have a ? for you. I have'nt seen Zeta Gundam yet just clips and I never saw the Super Gundam in action. Does it use it's beam sabres, shield and rifle while it's docked with the G-defenser or is it restricted to the G-defensers weapons? Also as big as it is when docked does it still move like mobile suit because I know the sides of the G-defenser cover the shoulder's so does that restrict it's movements or do they move to let the Gundam Mark perform stuff like beam sabre slashes and what not?
No, it's not restricted to the weapons of the G-Defensor. The Super Gundam can very well still use the Mk. II weapons, including shield and sabers along with the added firepower. And, yes, it still moves very much like a mobile suit, as the G-Defensor is meant to increase the mobile suit's mobility in the first place. The very fact it actually reaches back to grab the long rifle shows that its arms are not locked up whatsoever.
EZero8 wrote:Ahhh.. that explains why I missed it. But in the end, could the transformation used in Katoki's version be pulled off with the Okawara version? I'm skeptical, but it'd be interesting to have some sort of confirmation.
Looking at the lineart and the machine in action from the episodes I actually did see, nope, since the pods on Okie's version remain fixed while Katoki's version actually folds over to the side for free arm movement and folds down to lock arms into place.
Last edited by Aegis on Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
abrahamsen0

Aegis. Thanks for the info got to watch it for myself.
SNT1

The lineart, btw, is that of the Master Grade Super Gundam, so you can go to www.dalong.net and see how the model transforms or whatnot
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
RX 93 ZZ

In GVsZG you can pull off the "transformation" and its the Okawara version(i think) but anyway in the game you can't use the Mk II's sabers at all the only close range weapon avalible to you is literally smashing the enemy with the barrel of the Long Beam Rifle.
Last edited by RX 93 ZZ on Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mobile suits: RX-93 Nu Gundam/RX-94 MP Nu(Fin Funnel Type), RGM-89S Jegan
Cars: '93 Mazda RX-7 (FD3S)
razgriz

bad for the enemy bad for your long rifle :cry:
setsuna: I AM A GUNDAM!!!
graham: I AM A FLAG!!!
(setsuna giggling)
graham: NO!! i said FLLLAG!
Duraham

razgriz wrote:bad for the enemy bad for your long rifle :cry:
not really. its a very fast move in-game, and it's not exactly bad for the rifle, since you are using the butt, which is more bulky and less likely to dent or anything.

apprently, it is also capable of sustained flight under atmospheric conditions.
Dark Duel

Also, the idea of beaning somebody over the head with a BFG is just lots of fun.

As to the atmospheric flight capability of the Super Gundam...Well, I'm sure it might be able to, but I would not use the game as a source/basis for saying so - The games tend to not always be accurate in their portrayal of a particular machine's capabilities.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
abrahamsen0

So I geuss it's safe to say the Super Gundam can operate on earth but as for flight I would say jumps and hovering but I'm not sure about full flight. The G Defenser adds more weight and balancing issues. I don't think the wings are big enough to help with lift so it would have to boil down to thrust power to weight.
HalfDemonInuyasha

Well, it was MEANT for use in space anyway in terms of allowing the Mark II to have greater mobility. The Mark II was also built for better use under gravity by itself.
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet