Heavyarms beam gatling?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
abrahamsen0

Heavyarms beam gatling?

It states that the Heavyarms has a beam gatling so how come in GW it runs out of ammo and ditches it. If it's a beam gatling shouldn't it run on the generator and last longer in a battle.
Charismatic Enigma

It should but then the drama of being surrounded by enemies and out of ammo would be lost...
"Aaahh!"-The last words of many a mobile suit pilot.
WhiteWingDemon

Well, it might run on its own generator combined with a shell of some sort to prevent overheating problems.
RGM-79G GM Command

Well IIRC it was a normal (Extremly large.) bullet firing gatling gun however that was later retconned out (But it doesn't make sense that the one in EW uses bullets instead when you think about it.) since he also always says bullets (I think.) in the anime and manga when talking about it running out of ammo. But he does tend to shoot a lot so he might just be firing more then he really needs to and using up ammo faster then he should.
Thundermuffin's TEGSD: MEYRIN: Ma’am! The Archangel has arrived and launched a giant, man-shaped robot at us! Likelihood of it being a mobile-suit… (Meyrin does some quick calculations on her console)…ninety-nine point eight percent!
ARTHUR: Good God, that’s almost a hundred-percent!
abrahamsen0

So officially it's a beam weapon like the GLeopards twin beam cylinders and should last longer if not indefinitly in a battle. Am I right?
Dark Duel

Well, I don't find it all that farfetched, frankly.
As I see it, the HeavyArms's beam gatling doesn't draw its power directly from the generator of the mobile suit, but rather fires bullets that, instead of a solid round, fire energy.
And because it has a limited number of such shells, it can run out of ammo.

It's the same concept later seen in the Hyperion's "Zavasta Stigmate" beam submachine gun and "Forfanterie" beam cannons. They're shell-based, energy weapons. Or if you want to look at HeavyArms's contemporaries, consider the Wing Gundam's Buster Rifle, and its three-shot limit.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
RGM-79G GM Command

abrahamsen0 wrote:So officially it's a beam weapon like the GLeopards twin beam cylinders and should last longer if not indefinitly in a battle. Am I right?
Well it is a beam, but even a beam will run out of ammo. Because of the size, I would say it probably does not have a generator in it and uses Heavyarm's generator, although that only gives it the energy to fire, what it actually fires is probably inside the shield somewhere I have no idea what it fires though except that it is a beam and because of the size there probably isn't all that much of it maybe around two hundred and eighty shots, could be more though because he shoots a lot.
Thundermuffin's TEGSD: MEYRIN: Ma’am! The Archangel has arrived and launched a giant, man-shaped robot at us! Likelihood of it being a mobile-suit… (Meyrin does some quick calculations on her console)…ninety-nine point eight percent!
abrahamsen0

What about the Gundam Leopard Destroy for comparison it has twin beam cylinders which I think are connected to it's generator and fires beams.
the razor blade

abrahamsen0 wrote:What about the Gundam Leopard Destroy for comparison it has twin beam cylinders which I think are connected to it's generator and fires beams.
different universes, different weapons
If the shoe fits, wear it. If the bullet hole fits, your dead.
Death is only a stepping stone to something weirder.
Can god heat up a microwave burrito so hot that not even he can eat it?
RGM-79G GM Command

There is still a chance they might work the same way though (Although I do not think they do.), the razor blade. I have no idea about that thing since I never saw far enough into Gundam X to see the Leopard Destroy unit.
Gadget

An old theory is that those shell casing are actually spent capicators for the beam gatling. G-W gundams seems to lack a medium range wepons. It's either ammon wasting gun like the Heavy arms gatling, or the insanly powerful buster and twin buster rifle. It seems that AC gundams may not develop a proper e-pac magazine. I'm assuming that the beam weapons are similer to UC weapons.

Buster and TBR have a generator that slowly recharge to weapon. For rapid fire, it may be store in small shell like capicators. So after dischargin, it will be ejected. And as for the rotating barrels, the only possibllity is to cool the barrel. Firing too many shots from a single barrel could damage and melt the barrel.
toysdream

The Endless Waltz version of the Heavy Arms seems to use shell-firing gatling guns--hence the shell casings--but the TV series version has beam gatlings.

Does that mean they have infinite ammunition? Well, no. Gundam Wing beam weapons, like those of the Universal Century series, appear to have a limited energy supply. The Leo and Maganac carry beam rifles with detachable energy packs that provide about 20 shots; the energy packs in the Wing Gundam's buster rifle are good for three bursts. The Heavy Arms's beam gatlings obviously have a lot more shots, but their energy supply isn't unlimited either.

-- Mark
Wingnut

Yeah. I always figured that it was similar to the other energy packs that had to be replaced after they ran out of energy.
Similar to a UC E-Pac/Cap if you will.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Recon 5

With e- caps being what they are (especially those on the Wing- NOT Wing ZERO) they could be chain or magazine loaded like regular bullets and ejected when spent. Probably this would prevent excessive energy drain on the suit (imagine what it would take to recharge thousands of e- pacs, even small ones) or the Heavyarms just cannot recharge the pacs, and has to get rid of the empty shells so that they do not become dead weight (it ditches the whole gun when THAT goes dry for precisely the same reason).
abrahamsen0

Should I open a new topic or just talk about the Gundam Leopards Destroy's twin beam cylinders? If anyone knows about Gundam X.
razgriz

trowa seems pretty set on his strategy anyway, fix on a set firing position, waste everyone around you til your ammo runs out, ditch the dead weight of the spent gat-shield, then run and jump and shank anyone who is left alive.
setsuna: I AM A GUNDAM!!!
graham: I AM A FLAG!!!
(setsuna giggling)
graham: NO!! i said FLLLAG!
J-Lead

Recon 5 wrote:With e- caps being what they are (especially those on the Wing- NOT Wing ZERO) they could be chain or magazine loaded like regular bullets and ejected when spent. Probably this would prevent excessive energy drain on the suit (imagine what it would take to recharge thousands of e- pacs, even small ones) or the Heavyarms just cannot recharge the pacs, and has to get rid of the empty shells so that they do not become dead weight (it ditches the whole gun when THAT goes dry for precisely the same reason).
That's all nice and plausible, but where the hell does he keep all these mini e-pacs? :shock:
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
Lert

J-Lead wrote: That's all nice and plausible, but where the hell does he keep all these mini e-pacs? :shock:
Same place Optimus Prime's trailer goes to when he transforms in robot mode: Stuffspace.
Be alert. The world needs more Lerts.
J-Lead

Lert wrote:
J-Lead wrote: That's all nice and plausible, but where the hell does he keep all these mini e-pacs? :shock:
Same place Optimus Prime's trailer goes to when he transforms in robot mode: Stuffspace.
I actually call it Plotspace. I think it's where Kira hides everytime a Gundam he's piloting explodes. :lol: (but shhhh! Were not supposed to talk about that here! :P )
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
the razor blade

J-Lead wrote:
Lert wrote:
I actually call it Plotspace. I think it's where Kira hides everytime a Gundam he's piloting explodes. :lol: (but shhhh! Were not supposed to talk about that here! :P )
no no no, its spandexspace, named because of heero pulling a gun out of spandex shorts with no pockets
If the shoe fits, wear it. If the bullet hole fits, your dead.
Death is only a stepping stone to something weirder.
Can god heat up a microwave burrito so hot that not even he can eat it?