Query about the ZGMF-X11A Regenerate & ZGMF-X12A Testame

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Maelstromm

Query about the ZGMF-X11A Regenerate & ZGMF-X12A Testame

I was poking about the Astray R and Destiny Astray series, when I wondered about the two missing numbers. I have some questions about them I would like to be answered:

Firstly, the ZGMF-X11A Regenerate. I'm aware that this suit is assigned to ZAFT special forces pilot Ash Gray, but here's the question, He's a homicidal, psyco maniac, why on earth would anyone assign him a highly classified, nuclear powered MS? I am sensing a seriously lack of judgment here...

Secondly, the ZGMF-X12A Testament. I only know of this suit when it was shown in Destiny Astray. I would like to know why ZAFT would construct a nuclear powered MS and just abandon it along with GENESIS Alpha? I mean, why build it, but never field it in battle? I assume it would help a bit in the war, and there doesn't seem to be a point in developing the suit in the ZGMF-X program and shoving it in cold storage...

So, I would appreciate it if anybody could shed some light on this questions...
Gahh!!! My kingdom for a signature!!!!
Any takers?
Recon 5

*cough* Rau *cough*

Seriously, I'd need to be hospitalized if I were to state all such examples in Gundam series that way...

As for the testament, some bigwig probably had a beef with the virus spreader and pulled a few strings to ensure a swift, unquestioned David Copperfield. Thats pretty common in Gundam too.
Last edited by Recon 5 on Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kuruni

Testament isn't complete yet when Genesis Alpha was taken by Junk Guild. So ZAFT can't use it at all.

On Regenerate, remember what after they assign Justice to a sane pilot? Consider that all of prototype piloted by psychopath (Regenerate and Providence) remain on their side until destroyed, I guess they made right choice :wink: . In other word, Patrick may aware that any sane people can be convinced by Lucus and decide to choose whoever can shot her down without listen a single word. This was reflect in SRW W, which Pattrick send Ash out to kill Lucus at Jachin Due after found his soldier confused by her words.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Maelstromm

Oh, I didn't know about the SRW W stuff, still, Rau wasn't as obvious as a psyco as Ash Grey was, I mean he keeps a collection of 'dolls'...if that doesn't scream psyco, I dunno what does, I don't think Rau did anything that obvious right?

Then why was the Testament not completed when GENESIS Alpha was taken? How did the Junk Guild manage to take over such a classified project and ZAFT did nothing about that? So if the Testament was incomplete at the time, was the Testament being built at GENESIS Alpha? Why was it the only suit built there? The Providence which came later was built somewhere else, why didn't they build all the ZGMF-X series at one place?
Any takers?
Melchior

I think there's some confusion between Testament and Outframe going on here. As I understand it, the first Testament unit was stolen by the Alliance prior to Junk Guild's capture of Genesis Alpha, and it was the second unit which was still incomplete. That second unit of course would later be modified by Lowe to become the Outframe.
Maelstromm

Is that so? Then how was a highly classified and guarded MS stolen from ZAFT? To my knowledge, they never did anything about it, why is that so?

EDIT:
The Testament Gundam first served as a testbed for the later ZAFT models for their "Atomic" first generation Gundams line. The Testament Gundam is essentially an incomplete unit. Renegade ZAFT pilot Ash Gray was aware of its existence, but to him it was a completely useless mobile suit at the time. At the time, the Testament was refitted to allow Striker-pack compatability. Around this time, the Earth Alliance became aware of the existence of the Genesis Alpha and dispatched their N Dagger N's to recon any potential information. Once the Earth Alliance discovered the unit in the hanger of the Genesis Alpha, it was structurelly sound, yet lacked any weaponry. Therefore, to make it combat worthy for the time being, they outfitted it with the Sword Striker pack and stole the unit. Outside, a Cosmographer was waiting to switch the Sword pack for the Aile pack. All of this was possible since Lowe was preoccupied with the attacking ZAFT Forces at the time.

Concurrent to these events, Lowe was constructing the Out Frame with a new design: in a sense, a "spare" build of the Testament Gundam. However, because the Testament Gundam utilizes a nuclear reactor, the Out Frame was given an energy battery.
This info came from here, if it's reliable, then it may very well settle my questions about the Testament's origins...
Any takers?
OpMegs

I'm still mildly curious about the Regenerate for the simple fact that if you fire a GENESIS at it, it essentially gets a turbo boost for speed, despite same blast being able to annihilate entire fleet groups in a single shot. While the Regenerate is certainly rather large, even in mobile armor mode, I've yet to see a plausible explanation, unless GENESIS Alpha fires a specific laser to accelerate the Regenerate and another to play EBFG.
SNT1 wrote:"Doubt" shouldn't ever be mentioned when describing 00-Raiser (or its armaments)
Dendrobium Stamen

OpMegs wrote:I'm still mildly curious about the Regenerate for the simple fact that if you fire a GENESIS at it, it essentially gets a turbo boost for speed, despite same blast being able to annihilate entire fleet groups in a single shot. While the Regenerate is certainly rather large, even in mobile armor mode, I've yet to see a plausible explanation, unless GENESIS Alpha fires a specific laser to accelerate the Regenerate and another to play EBFG.
Well, the original GENESIS was originally developed as a propulsion laser, as I understand it. In fact, here's the relevant chunk of GundamOfficial's glossary entry for GENESIS:
GundamOfficial: GENESIS wrote:Despite its immense destructive power, GENESIS wasn't originally meant to be used as a weapon. Its original purpose was to deliver energy to the solar sails of interstellar spacecraft, making possible the exploration of other solar systems. When the system was redesigned for military use, it was adapted to emit gamma rays, a form of high-frequency electromagnetic radiation which can permeate solid matter and break down molecular structures.
Lowe uses GENESIS Alpha in this configuration to propel the ReHome towards Mars at the beginning of Destiny Astray from what I'm told, which would suggest that the ZAFT forces controlling it never reconfigured Alpha into a weapon system, instead utilising its propulsive capability to aid Regenerate in combat. Of course, it doesn't seem to be too hard to switch it to a weapon; IIRC the Junk Guild planned to do just that in order to avert "Break The World"...
Last edited by Dendrobium Stamen on Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Trust me, I know what I'm doing." - Sledge Hammer.
A Wind Raging Through, a Destiny sidestory.
valkyriepilot

Maelstromm wrote:Is that so? Then how was a highly classified and guarded MS stolen from ZAFT? To my knowledge, they never did anything about it, why is that so?
Ahmm... remember when the Freedom got stolen?? (Yes Lacus led Kira to it, but it still qualifies for theft) Although I'm not sure if it is indeed as "highly classified" as you defined the Testament, but yeah, they weren't able to do much about it too... :roll: Just putting my two cents...
OpMegs

I still don't think the Freedom theft is exactly as simple as everyone makes it out to be. After all, the Clyne faction had sympathizers all through ZAFT. Letting Patrick Zala's army get their hands on the Freedom would be stupid, so they were probably planning to steal it already.

On topic, however, that info on GENESIS certainly advances the concept that it was yet another example of the "Laser propulsion" used years later by the Stargazer project.
SNT1 wrote:"Doubt" shouldn't ever be mentioned when describing 00-Raiser (or its armaments)
Maelstromm

Hmm, I see, so it's just a fine line between propulsion system and WMD for the GENESIS eh?

Given that the Testament may not be considered highly classified, it was still kinda odd that there was no security of any sort for it, given that it was part of the ZGMF-X series...or was there? Could someone please clarify this?
Any takers?