CE: Hover capability

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
exxecutor000

CE: Hover capability

There's a lot discussion about sustained flight and high jump. How about hovering? Need special design or requirement for that?

Also, in CE, what Ground MS capable of hovering? (Does the first 5Gs able to?)
exxecutor000... zero zero zero
Dark Duel

As far as I know, only the DOM Trooper hovered.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Duraham

IIRC, all you need in order to hover is just strong enough boosters. just look at UC for example. in the OYW, only Doms were capable of hovering. but come to zeta, and everyone is capable of doing so.

given that the CE MS can even do atomspheric battles, i guess hovering shouldn't be much of a prob for them
jam!

Actually, the Gouf Flight Types and Gundam Murdock (RX-78-6) were also able to hover during the OYW.

I'd also imagine that the Zaft Bucues could hover as well when they were skidding across the ground. Perhaps some of the other ground tanks...the ZuOOT perhaps?
Draco Starcloud

BuCues supposedly have wings that prevent them from lifting from the ground when using their treads, so I doubt they hover. And ZuOOTs are MS tank; they'd be too heavy to hover, which is why they have treads.

I think Dark Duel had it right: only DOM Troopers can fly. Everything else either swims, walks, or flies.
Chris wrote:IMMA CHARGIN MAH MAHQ @_@
Draco's Lair - Latest Update: 1/9/10
abrahamsen0

If you look at the Calamity Gundam it's been seen plenty of times in GS hover across the water while firing at the Freedom and Justice. I also heard that it is extremely maneuverable in space as while. From what I've seen the Calamity can hover only using the Raider as long distance traveling to the battlefeild.
jam!

My mistake about the ZuOOTs. I always assumed that was the purpose of the Bucue's wings though...

On that note, the Blast Impulse also hovers. It did so for much of the same battle when Shinn killed Auel.
Wingnut

abrahamsen0 wrote:If you look at the Calamity Gundam it's been seen plenty of times in GS hover across the water while firing at the Freedom and Justice. I also heard that it is extremely maneuverable in space as while. From what I've seen the Calamity can hover only using the Raider as long distance traveling to the battlefeild.
I think you are referring to the Forbidden there at the begining right?
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
CHASER

Well, the Calamity did skim over the water at least once while fighting in Orb, though its feet were dragging along the water and it sure looked as if it was struggling at it. The Forbidden though really did manage some altitude on Earth, though the thing has some pretty big thrusters (probably a bad point) and its chest vents do point down while it's transformed.

And yeah, a BuCUE would defeat its mobility if it hovered, just like most racing cars it would be pushing down to the ground though the control surfaces on the wings could probably reverse that for when it does one of its big leaps.
HellCat wrote:
ShadowCell wrote:I'm skipping this one if it's in suppository form, though. Like, I like Gundam, but not that friggin' much.
They decided against that because most Gundam fans already have something up their butt.
Recon 5

What about jet- dashing (e.g. Kira in bare Strike vs GINN in the first episode)? Doesn't that count as hovering? If so, then all CE mecha can hover except for those aquatic ones and the half- tanks.
auriga

That was more of a power jump...

I think when we say "hover," we mean something that is sustained longer than any jump, but without the altitude of flight, essentially gliding on ground with only thrust making you do so (so BuCUEs, as pointed out, are out). Prime examples are the DOM Troopers. And if your memory is as good as jam!'s, then you'll know that the Blast Impulse is also capable of hovering.
CHASER

Recon 5 wrote:What about jet- dashing (e.g. Kira in bare Strike vs GINN in the first episode)? Doesn't that count as hovering? If so, then all CE mecha can hover except for those aquatic ones and the half- tanks.
But that was inside a colony, where escaping the gravity effect isn't at all difficult (seen by the Sword Strike - GINN 'aerial' battle not long after). So like a DOM you'd need some hovering equipment, though the Blast Impulse... well its backpack does have some thrusters that could possibly give it some.
HellCat wrote:
ShadowCell wrote:I'm skipping this one if it's in suppository form, though. Like, I like Gundam, but not that friggin' much.
They decided against that because most Gundam fans already have something up their butt.
exxecutor000

auriga wrote:.... "hover," we mean something that is sustained longer than any jump, but without the altitude of flight, essentially gliding on ground with only thrust making you do so
Agree :D .

I also remember Calamity hovering... but of course it cannot fly, thus need Raider as platform.
exxecutor000... zero zero zero
abrahamsen0

Wingnut wrote:
abrahamsen0 wrote:If you look at the Calamity Gundam it's been seen plenty of times in GS hover across the water while firing at the Freedom and Justice. I also heard that it is extremely maneuverable in space as while. From what I've seen the Calamity can hover only using the Raider as long distance traveling to the battlefeild.
I think you are referring to the Forbidden there at the begining right?
No it is the Calamity it just when the show the scene it's only for a few seconds.If you go back at watch GS I think it's when the Justice first appears or the one where that shuttle takes off into space with the freedom & Justice on it. If you look at that scene the Freedom puts it's shield in front and fires it's rifle from the shield slot while taking heavy beam fire from the Calamity while there're both hovering over the water. Here's the screenshot http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/782/canz2.jpg
razgriz

its possible orga maybe had his thrusters set up to give just enough boost and forward momentum to stay on the water as opposed to making a higher less economical jump into the air to do a "full burst"
setsuna: I AM A GUNDAM!!!
graham: I AM A FLAG!!!
(setsuna giggling)
graham: NO!! i said FLLLAG!
pd771

The Astray's shrike pack was built specifically to hover. Around eps. 10-20?
Amuro: Sorry, Lalah, I... I still have a place I can come home to. And I could never be happier. I'm sure you understand. We can be together anytime we want, Lalah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeY9RgWhmXs
Genocide

I don't think that hovering is that big of a deal on its own. I vaguely recall seeing the RX-78 hover while going against the Doms, and I believe the Ez-8 was also able to pull it off a few times. With regards to CE, I'm not certain, but I'd assume the Strike should be able to hover when it's equipped with the Aile Striker. However, only machines like the Dom, DOM Trooper, etc are capable of sustained hovering. And unlike other mobile suits, they seem to have thrusters specially designed for the job. For something like the RX-78, it was basically angling its jump thrusters to produce a hovering effect.

Also, from what I can remember, the Astray's Shrike pack was meant for full atmospheric flight, not just hovering.
blaze101
Location: Would say Halle Barry's boudoir, but she had a kid. So, yeah...<_<

Actually, it's interesting that the BuCUE wasn't hover-capable. It had a niche for arid/arctic climates, and as such, one would think the ability to hover would be ideal. Then, not to mention, some might say hovering would be the logical step before actual flight capability (i.e., before the flight-capable DINN, the hovering BuCUE).
This is what happens to ya if you mess with me--http://content.ytmnd.com/content/0/c/4/ ... fc861a.gif
auriga

Well, being able to hover while having tank treads can be... I dunno, a redundancy, perhaps?
Gadget

Not really. Hovering cost fuel and power. It does makes sense to have a 'normal' mode and 'battle(?)' mode.