DUEL GUNDAM AS aile pack

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
jam!

I believe that was what I was suggesting from the beginning. Not only because Mudie may have saved herself with it but also because of the various disadvantages a ground-plodding MS has when compared to flight-capable ones.

Heck, a few Daggers equipped with Aile packs could easily take down the Blu Duel once the pilots have brains.
Maelstromm

Indeed, it's a shame that newer AUs seem to like indicating that the average grunt is an idiot as compared to a named pilot...
Gahh!!! My kingdom for a signature!!!!
Any takers?
ShadowCell

jam! wrote:With ZAFT being able to make the flight-capable Freedom and Justice, an upgrade to Duel for flight would've been relatively simple as well.
Except that ZAFT made the Justice and Freedom from scratch, with their own technology. Whereas the Duel was stolen Earth Alliance technology.

And they did make it capable of flight. They gave it a Guul. And Yzak still got his ass kicked.
jam!

You get a goldstar for not reading my post carefully ShadowCell.
It is also important to note that the Guul is not as reasonable an option for aerial mobility as it may first seem and as proven when fighting against Kira. It's simply too vulnerable.
See? I did consider that the Duel had the Guul but the Guul is the similar type of clumsy flying platform as used in UC and is not as versatile as the Justice's subflight lifter. Simply put, it could only be a transport mechanism...not a viable flight attachment for use under combat situations despite the fact it had missiles and possibly other light armaments.

As for the Duel being stolen from EA...I'm led to believe that if Lowe Gear could reoutfit several MS to his likings with whatever equipment and helpers he has then surely the ZAFT military has engineers that could've replaced the Duel's backpack with a Wing pack similar to the Dinn and given it the same weapons it had in Assault Shroud..i.e. the missile launcher and rail gun. What good was the extra armour for Assault Shroud anyway?

P.S. Note that it was Yzak's shield that saved him from the Forbidden's large beam blast. The Assault Shroud saved the Duel from further intense damage but considering that PS was still up, the Duel would've survived regardless. I somehow believe Yzak deployed the Shroud on purpose to fool Shani and hence get in his fatal strike.
ShadowCell

I'm led to believe that if Lowe Gear could reoutfit several MS to his likings with whatever equipment and helpers he has then surely the ZAFT military has engineers that could've replaced the Duel's backpack with a Wing pack similar to the Dinn and given it the same weapons it had in Assault Shroud..i.e. the missile launcher and rail gun.
Again, why would they bother doing that when they can just strap a Guul to it and make it fly perfectly well? Lowe (presumably) didn't have any Guuls to strap his MS to, and at any rate, he wasn't worrying about things like "military necessity" and "how soon can we get this thing back into action," he was more worried about "how awesome will it be to hook these things up." The Duel got its ass kicked so many times not because of its equipment, but because it was up against a better pilot. Yzak had no problem taking on Kira earlier, when Kira was still trying to figure out what he was doing--it was only later, when Kira got, y'know, better, that he struggled. So the Guul is way more viable than having to dismantle the Duel and rebuild it to make it fly, when it can already do that just fine and it would probably still get beaten up by its more skilled opponent.

Especially seeing as how the Aile pack couldn't generate the thrust for actual flight, just for really long rocket-assisted jumps, and a system like the DINN's would require them to overhaul the Duel, this whole thing seems like a waste of time. It got along just fine on its flying green thingy, and with as many as it went through, it seems that ZAFT had plenty of them lying around anyway. So taking the Duel apart to basically stick a Guul on its back is kind of stupid when you can just have it stand on one and achieve the same result.

The Assault Shroud got stuck on the Duel because it was an easy way to repair the Duel and make up for some of its shortcomings at the same time, and they already had the Assault Shroud around as an option for other ZAFT MS. Presumably, they had no backpack flying gizmo to attach to mobile suits--instead they had the Guul. And the Duel was not only a constant frontline unit, but was one of the Zala team's few mobile suits. So stashing it in the corner to dismantle it and make a whole new flying gizmo to staple to its back is a bad idea, when you can just stick it on a Guul and make it fly just as well--and actually fly, as opposed to the Aile Strike, which can just jump really far.

And yay! I get a gold star! Now where's my cookie?

I'd better be getting a cookie, too. You don't give a man a gold star without giving him a cookie.
jam!

Please note that while the thread is asking for an Aile pack attached to the Duel gundam with AS, I'm considering the advantages of a flight-capable Duel, Aile pack or not. Also take note that I'm considering the Blu Duel as well and the Aile packs of CE 73 which were indeed fully flight-capable. That said, I'm not saying "Yzak would've done better if he had an aile pack or flight-capable Duel". I'm just noting its advantages.

Note also that the Duel even with the AS could perform long rocket-assisted jumps almost like the Aile Strike which we see just before Kira in the Freedom chooses to not kill Yzak and only cut off the Duel's legs. How else did the Duel get so high and remain in the air? (My error if it was all due to a Guul but I really don't remember one).

I'd also argue for the dedicated flight-attachment rather than the AS because the Guul was too vulnerable and could not benefit from the protection of the Duel's PS. Also, since the Duel didn't have impressive firepower what was the point of the AS in the first place? It simply made the Duel slower and mostly restricted to ground-plodding. Why is that good for a Gundam when there were the faster and very capable BuCues? Furthermore, why did the EA copy this mistake with the Blu Duel?

In the end, it would've saved ZAFT resources to simply add a flight pack to the Duel after both the Freedom and Justice had been stolen because Yzak was the last loyal of the five and replacing Guuls all the time really was a greater waste of resources. With coordinator intelligence, reoutfitting the Duel with DINN flight pack would've taken minimal time since the technology was there and would've allowed the Duel to utilise more missiles, have an additional point for another rail-gun and possibly more.

Basically, I'm saying that the 'upgrade' of the Duel to AS was a wasted effort. Flight-capability/ extra thrusters for increased space mobility would've been a much more useful venture.

Oh, you can take a jar of cookies.
exxecutor000

About original Duel:
It is the first model of the 5Gs, thus versatility must not be the main objective. It is definitely different from Strike, which is designed for versatility shown by the hardpoints for striker pack. Duel does not have this. With Strike, the other 4Gs need not be modified and remains as what they are. Thus, modifying Duel to equip a flight pack must be redundant.

About Duel Assault-Shroud (A.S.):
ZAFT engineers upgrade the Duel attaching the Assault-Shroud system. A.S. pack must be one of the best add-on/upgrade systems available to ZAFT at that time. This system, which is merely ‘attached’ to Duel (not unlike a wearable-armor’), meant to increase firepower, protection and maneuverability in space; Duel A.S. proved to be effective in most battles. While Duel with A.S. upgrade initially not intended for use in atmosphere (weight/bulk issue), it still perform due to its multiple thrusters. Freedom & Justice was built from scratch with flying-ability in mind. If you look closely, Justice, which is the 1st model of the series resemble a mobile suit with a Guul-like backpack. Thus, during A.S. fitting to Duel, ZAFT engineers are still doing extensive research & experiment to make a mobile suit based on EA's MS able to fly in atmosphere (remember that EA MS is already heavy, 60tonnes and above; DINN is much lighter). The result: they produce the Freedom&Justice etc.

About Duel A.S. with Guul:
The use of Guul in atmosphere is because Guul is already in stock, thus, it is feasible and economical to use Guul than modifying Duel to have flight pack. Guul can be used by most mobile suits, thus not only Duel can benefit from it. Further, Duel along with Aegis, Buster and Blitz are always needed on the frontline during the wartime. Thus, time and resources will be wasted to equip flight pack, while Guul is always there ready to use.

About Blu Duel:
It is newer thus should be better than Duel A.S. due to lighter weight, full-PS armored, and better close-combat weaponry. It must be able to do high jumps and hovering due to the upgraded thruster arrangement. Flight pack is redundant for Blu Duel, as its teammate Strike Noir already has that; especially when Blu Duel and Verde Buster roles are mainly to support Strike Noir. As for Mudie, she should have wait for Sven to arrive first before jumping onto the ground. Impatience and overconfident cause her death. Also she may not aware of the new Kerberos BuCUE.
exxecutor000... zero zero zero
jam!

exxecutor000 wrote:About original Duel:
It is the first model of the 5Gs, thus versatility must not be the main objective. It is definitely different from Strike, which is designed for versatility shown by the hardpoints for striker pack. Duel does not have this. With Strike, the other 4Gs need not be modified and remains as what they are. Thus, modifying Duel to equip a flight pack must be redundant.
And seeing that Zaft didn't get the Strike...they decided to 'upgrade' the Duel with a field upgrade since it's basic loadout put it at a disadvantage against even the Strike. Note that this field upgrade took negligible time.
exxecutor000 wrote: About Duel Assault-Shroud (A.S.):
ZAFT engineers upgrade the Duel attaching the Assault-Shroud system. A.S. pack must be one of the best add-on/upgrade systems available to ZAFT at that time. This system, which is merely ‘attached’ to Duel (not unlike a wearable-armor’), meant to increase firepower, protection and maneuverability in space; Duel A.S. proved to be effective in most battles. While Duel with A.S. upgrade initially not intended for use in atmosphere (weight/bulk issue), it still perform due to its multiple thrusters. Freedom & Justice was built from scratch with flying-ability in mind. If you look closely, Justice, which is the 1st model of the series resemble a mobile suit with a Guul-like backpack. Thus, during A.S. fitting to Duel, ZAFT engineers are still doing extensive research & experiment to make a mobile suit based on EA's MS able to fly in atmosphere (remember that EA MS is already heavy, 60tonnes and above; DINN is much lighter). The result: they produce the Freedom&Justice etc.
However Freedom & Justice are stolen, so why wouldn't it have been advantageous for Duel to get a further field upgrade so it could better match the TSA's machines and the EA's new Gundams?
exxecutor000 wrote: About Duel A.S. with Guul:
The use of Guul in atmosphere is because Guul is already in stock, thus, it is feasible and economical to use Guul than modifying Duel to have flight pack. Guul can be used by most mobile suits, thus not only Duel can benefit from it. Further, Duel along with Aegis, Buster and Blitz are always needed on the frontline during the wartime. Thus, time and resources will be wasted to equip flight pack, while Guul is always there ready to use.
Here's a question: Would the Freedom or Justice be as effective if they used Guuls in the atmosphere? The answer: No.
Here's another: Could Zaft have built a flight pack to attach to the Duel in a relatively negligible time? The answer (based on how quickly the AS was attached): Most likely yes with the Duel missing one or two battles. Yzak never contributed much to battling Kira anyways.
exxecutor000 wrote: About Blu Duel:
It is newer thus should be better than Duel A.S. due to lighter weight, full-PS armored, and better close-combat weaponry. It must be able to do high jumps and hovering due to the upgraded thruster arrangement. Flight pack is redundant for Blu Duel, as its teammate Strike Noir already has that; especially when Blu Duel and Verde Buster roles are mainly to support Strike Noir. As for Mudie, she should have wait for Sven to arrive first before jumping onto the ground. Impatience and overconfident cause her death. Also she may not aware of the new Kerberos BuCUE.
To restrict one MS' capabilities since its teammates can back it up is ridiculous. Also, as stated, even normal BuCues could have done that to Blu Duel. BuCues are simply far better in terrain operations.

Please don't tell me what happened in the series or why. I already know.
I'm simply considering the advantages of this upgrade. Don't tell me why it wasn't done because as I previously noted, it's because the engineers weren't thinking in this manner. They figured a heavy MS would be better.
Maelstromm

jam! wrote:
exxecutor000 wrote: About Duel Assault-Shroud (A.S.):
However Freedom & Justice are stolen, so why wouldn't it have been advantageous for Duel to get a further field upgrade so it could better match the TSA's machines and the EA's new Gundams?
I think that in the point of time where the Freedom and Justice appeared, ZAFT was already planning to unleash GENESIS on Earth, so I think that the engagements of the mobile suits has taken a back seat to the 'overall' plan of ZAFT, and it may have viewed the attempts to refit the Duel into a state able to counter the new suits as futile and ultimately, a waste of time and resources.
Any takers?
jam!

But that cannot be so because Zaft continued development of the Providence Gundam for Rau. We also know the Providence wasn't completed at the same time because if so, Rau wouldn't have used the Guaiz against Mwu in the Strike.
No...Zaft still had the time and resources for such even if they were continuing work on Genesis. Yzak, who maintained loyalty and was constantly on the frontlines, was simply shafted.
Maelstromm

You do remember that Rau was manipulating Patrick, so I can guess that he made the industries finish the Providence. Besides, the ZGMF series was already comissioned before the GENESIS even came into being.
Any takers?
CHASER

EDIT: Ninja man x__x

That I have to agree with, although the Providence was a pretty big project. It already had the Dreadnought as a test suit built, and the nuclear powered beast with 40+ beam guns was probably of higher priority.

I'm not against the idea of the Duel getting that kind of equipment, though at least early in SEED ZAFT didn't seem to be in the best position to pull it out of service. The Assault Shroud also came for the GINN (as it's used on the Assault Type GINN listed somewhere on MAHQ) so making a few modifications and strapping it onto the Duel probably seemed the best option. Funnily enough it's also early in SEED that the Duel was most 'redundant' because honestly, it was utterly gimped in the desert.

By all means there wasn't a reason against giving the Duel better capabilities on Earth which would also improve it in space, heck, Bandai would even make more money by selling bigger kits or option parts. :?

And ok, the Blu Duel was probably gimped by its equipment and design. The thing hardly 'incorporates' the Assault Shroud into the frame (one weapon from the original, and redesigned completely at that). And to that end the explanation that they didn't want any bits hanging/weighting down the suit, because machines of the same time as the Sword Impulse designed for close combat sure have them (the bloody backpack for the Sword Silhouette it longer front to back that the chest of the suit!). But we don't even know how the suit performed in usual combat because it was destroyed too soon, but it had the room to incorporate a backpack.

And now you're giving me ideas, which I plan to act upon >.>
HellCat wrote:
ShadowCell wrote:I'm skipping this one if it's in suppository form, though. Like, I like Gundam, but not that friggin' much.
They decided against that because most Gundam fans already have something up their butt.
Maelstromm

Come to think of it, the Blu Duel was probably what the Alliance would have done for the Duel had it not been jacked, as the bare bones Duel was hardly enough. Granted, they were probably inspired by the Assault Shroud, but it's interesting how they chose to intergrate the armor instead of doing it ala Long Dagger etc. Boiling down to the same point, I feel that ZAFT probably didn't want to waste anymore time on the older Duel and instead concentrate on the newer, nuclear powered units.
Any takers?
jam!

You're still missing the main point though Maelstromm. What good did it do Zaft to not outfit Yzak with a better Gundam especially after Freedom and Justice had been stolen?

It is indeed interesting to consider the Long and Duel Daggers in order to justify the Duel AS but those suits' AS were stronger than the Duel's own which make them much better at playing the role of a heavy artillery MS than the Duel did.

Once again, it would have been advantageous to do it for both the Duel and the Blu Duel. It simply wasn't done for no good reason. Repeating it further is just beating a dead horse now.

P.S. I believe Genesis was under development for a LOOONG period of time even before the ZGMF project. Consider the strength of its PS and the power requirements for the Mirage Colloid and mirrors. The sheer manpower required would imply it was a long-standing project.
Maelstromm

Perhaps, but as I said, ZAFT would want to focus on the newer suits, especially the Providence, as it is housing new (at that time) technology, the higher ups could hardly care less about giving the Duel a flight upgrade as most of the battle at that time was in space, thus negating the need for a flight upgrade.
Any takers?
jam!

Note that the addition I was suggesting including given Duel flight capability as well as those additional thrusters giving it more speed. I said this several posts back.
Maelstromm

My bad, as I said though, at that time, most of the battle was in space, so I think that increased speed may not may have helped all that much, seeing as the Assault Shroud equipped Duel was able to hold its own pretty well, I think verniers would help better. Then again, it comes down to cost and frankly speaking, if you were in the position of the ZAFT higher ups, would you rather spend money retro-fitting a old, out-dated suit or focus on a newer, potentially stronger suit?
Any takers?
jam!

*Beats dead horse* I would spend money developing a different AS for the Duel since it was Yzak's personal suit and he was vital to Zaft's military at the time. Developing a different AS would've also not taken the Duel out of action because it would simply continue using the old AS until the new one was completed and could be latched on.
As we've seen, it takes nearly no time at all for the engineers to latch on a AS to the Duel.

I also said this before.
*Stops beating dead horse*
Maelstromm

*Starts beating dead horse too, poor dead horse!*

I reiterate, there is no point in designing a new AS for the Duel as is too old and out-dated, and has a limited battery life, meaning that it won't be able to handle beam intensive weapons and have an operation period like the ZGMF series. And Yzak may be a competent pilot, but he's only one man, his chances of helping ZAFT to win the war is exceptionally low compared to the ZGMF series. So there is no practical point to divert funds and resources into revivng a dead unit, the time and money can be better spent on completing the ZGMF series. And I may be wrong, but I had a feeling that ZAFT didn't like the jacked GAT units that much, being Coordinators, they may have despised the GAT units as inferior Natural products, this sentiment hastening their development of their indigenous G-Units.

*Cremates dead horse to put it out of its misery*
Any takers?
jam!

*Cries for dead horse*

Despite all that, Yzak wasn't given a Guaiz eventhough that was better than the Duel IIRC.
Anyways, we've already established that a flight-capable Duel AS WOULD be advantageous for all the obvious reasons among which would be more mobile Duel AS even in space operations.
Sure we may argue as to why it never actually happened but that doesn't negate the fact that it should have happened because it would've made the unit far more useful. (Note that Yzak's greatest exploits were when he disengaged the AS...i.e. destroying Raider and Forbidden )