The Official Gundam 00 Mecha Thread

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
OpMegs

I don't recall that particular bit of information, but I imagine it'd be rather illogical.

Assuming the MS mode is flight capable, which it appears to be, then the only thing preventing the MS from transforming in mid-air is the proverbial "sudden stop at the bottom". With proper altitude, it wouldn't even need to maintain thrust for the time period needed to transform, before its MS mode thrusters would again make it airborne. If the transformation works in such a way as to maintain the wing surfaces and a set of thrusters at all times, it wouldn't even lose that much altitude.
SNT1 wrote:"Doubt" shouldn't ever be mentioned when describing 00-Raiser (or its armaments)
auriga

Oh crap, thanks for reminding us!

Then I'd say that the only reasonable explanation would probably be that the transformation was as simple and cost-effective as it could get.

Seriously, does anyone expect a MP MS to have a transformation as complex as the Murasame? Heck, the cost for that same transformation shot through the roof in the UC! :lol:

EDIT: I did a run-through of Annon Kaies Z's 00 page, and this is all it says about the said transformation:
A mass producion mobile suit with many variations that can change into a flight form but that doesn't suppose transformation during combat.
That comes from the Union Flag's profile. Also cross-checked with Gunota.
Last edited by auriga on Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ascension

There was something said early on about how one of the antagonist aces could transform in midair and how everyone was in awe of him because of it. I assumed when I read that that the transformation was not actually a proper transformation, but something which would require a specially equipped hangar, like fitting the Huckebein Mk. III into the Boxer Frame.

EDIT: I just remembered that the Union Flag stores its rifle on a chest hardpoint when in flight mode. Perhaps the trick to transforming in midair is that normal pilots have to sacrifice their rifles in order to do so, but this ace dude can catch the rifle out of midair before it falls to the ground.
Don't call it a comeback...
...in fact, it's best if you forget I was ever here before.
auriga

I believe that was mentioned only as speculation. :wink:

I've reread the transformation info many times, and I still don't know what to make out of it. Part of me is thinking that the bit isn't really confirming or denying transformation during battle.
Dean_the_Young

Ascension wrote:There was something said early on about how one of the antagonist aces could transform in midair and how everyone was in awe of him because of it. I assumed when I read that that the transformation was not actually a proper transformation, but something which would require a specially equipped hangar, like fitting the Huckebein Mk. III into the Boxer Frame.

EDIT: I just remembered that the Union Flag stores its rifle on a chest hardpoint when in flight mode. Perhaps the trick to transforming in midair is that normal pilots have to sacrifice their rifles in order to do so, but this ace dude can catch the rifle out of midair before it falls to the ground.
First off, this was just a speculation. I remember it myself.

Second, on your edit point, that wouldn't make much sense. By that reasoning, the MS would never transform unless piloted by an elite pilot, as the rifle would always drop and break on the ground. Which defeats the purpose of transforming if the first time you did it you destroyed your one and only long range weapon.

The speculation idea was that transforming is rare in combat, as it would provide a wide-ish window of absolute vulnerability. The idea of the ace pilot was that he would be able to skillfully transform in combat without getting shot down.
I'm sorry this letter is so long, but I did not have time to make it shorter. -Mark Twain

Official Jerid Fanboy
ShadowCell

So ends this thread. New one is here.