The Official Gundam 00 Mecha Thread

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Mwulf

The Official Gundam 00 Mecha Thread

Since talking about the anime is a no-no, why don't we limit the discussion to the super-awesome mecha for the new Gundam?

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u195 ... Grunts.jpg

Gotta say I love the Zaku... er, "Tieren". It definitely gives me a real mechwarrior vibe. And ya' gotta love the asymmetry. I mean, have there ever been any mobile suits with asymmetrical legs?

I'm not too sure about the AEU Enact or Union Flag... for starters, I think the designs look WAY too similar, and WAY too thin. I don't get the feeling of those being "real" mecha at all. Perhaps these two will be mecha designed more for hit and run, or "aerial" combat, whereas the Zaku... er, Tieren will be more of a groundpounder?
Last edited by Mwulf on Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Another Day, Another Mishap.

Gundam Seed Fates
ASA (comic)
NewtypeS3

...two Lions and a Zaku with a knee-shield.
I'm impressed at the difference, certainly...

...but I'm wondering what the heck's going on in terms of mecha design. Maybe they'll just look better when in animation.
Melchior

I'm wquite liking these designs. The AEU Enact would seem to be the flying unit Exia destroyed in the promo. Is that a helicopter rotor on the Union Flag? Looks like its a transformable unit as well. The Tieren looks a little different in its lineart form. Is it a coincidence that its name is so similar to the pilot of the Virute? My guess that the promo was depicting a battle between the HRL and AEU must have been correct.
toysdream

Re: Gundam 00 Grunts

Mwulf wrote:I'm not too sure about the AEU Enact or Union Flag... for starters, I think the designs look WAY too similar, and WAY too thin.
It's not surprising they look similar. According to the text captions, the AEU Enact is based on the Union Flag, and the two machines share the same transformation system and armament options.
Perhaps these two will be mecha designed more for hit and run, or "aerial" combat, whereas the Zaku... er, Tieren will be more of a groundpounder?
Exactly. The Enact and Flag can transform into flight forms, while the Tieren is described as a "ground use" machine.

-- Mark
Koshernova

I really like the Tieren. It's pretty much one of the most realistic looking grunts while keeping a lot of tributes to the Zaku (shoulder shields, model number, is that a mono-eye I spy?).

The Union Flag and the Enact look like they were made by a different faction, I must admit. I like them a lot too, regardless. They remind me a lot of the Correl from Gundam X. Is Kunio Ohkawara the only mecha designer for this series? Because this doesn't look like his work...
Ryujin

Kosh wrote:Is Kunio Ohkawara the only mecha designer for this series? Because this doesn't look like his work...
Kanetake Ebikawa & Takayuki Yanase (aka Windfall) are two of the three mecha designers for Gundam 00...Okie's handiwork seems to be absent at this point, even though he's listed as the other mecha designer.

I think that Yanase was responsible for the Gundam Virtue, Union Flag & Enact designs.
Last edited by Ryujin on Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kiggz

wow i never seen these!

So what does every one think so far ? I do not like the designs for Tieran or the union flag. How ever I like the AEU Entact even thought it is in demonstration color.

What does every one think the AEU Entact's real color will be ? I think they are using that color to throw us off and we will see a total different color.

Have any other picture been release for the new 00 grunts and normal suits or anything at all in that matter, i am poorly updated rite now.
toysdream

The mecha designer credits are listed right on the scanned pages. The AEU Enact and Union Flag are by Hitoshi Fukuchi, and the Tieren is by Kenji Teraoka.

-- Mark
razgriz

wow, talk about a change of pace. these guys mustve watched seed and were like "wtf? half these mecha designs r tweaked 20 yr old ones. we can do better than that"

i love the tieren with its hard edge true military feel. the other 2 r distinct definitely in terms of gundam-verse mechs. i get an almost eva-vibe from them. however union flag does remind me of a super-stylized leo esp the head and flight pack.
setsuna: I AM A GUNDAM!!!
graham: I AM A FLAG!!!
(setsuna giggling)
graham: NO!! i said FLLLAG!
Ryujin

toysdream wrote:The mecha designer credits are listed right on the scanned pages. The AEU Enact and Union Flag are by Hitoshi Fukuchi, and the Tieren is by Kenji Teraoka.

-- Mark
D'oh! I didn't notice their names were also listed under 'mechanic concept design,' in the staff listings either. I've always wanted to see Fukuchi do more MS designs after Double Fake.

I just noticed that the Tieren's a real heavyweight, at 121 tons. That gap in the knee shield also looks perfect as a gun mount. Hopefully, this is an indication that they'll take a lickin' and keep on tickin'.
Last edited by Ryujin on Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
razgriz

any guess as to whether the tieren is a transformer oops i mean transformable ms? its just a whole lot of weight to walk around. not that those redwood tree trunks it calls legs dont look up to it.
(setsuna giggling)
OpMegs

Info off of Gunota:
SVMS-01 Union Flag
"Union variable MS. It can change into a flight form but that doesn't suppose transformation during combat. Armed with a Linear Rifle that fires electromagnetically accelerated live rounds. For melee combat, a super-vibrating Sonic Blade. One part of the machine is also equipped with an energy-covered Plasma Sword blade. There are many variations of this unit."

Head height: 17.9 meters
Base weight: 67.1 tons
Designed by Hitoshi Fukuchi

AEU-09 AEU Enact (Demonstration colors)
"The latest MS developed by the AEU. A solar energy model, the MS itself can accept a direct supply of power from the orbital elevator's generation system. The basic design is based on the Union's Flag and shares many features such as the flight form transformation and armaments. "

Head height: 17.6 meters
Base weight: 66.8 tons
Designed by Hitoshi Fukuchi

MSJ-06II-A Tieren
"Human Progressive League (aka People's Reform League, etc...still no official English version yet. Pick your favorite translation.) mass-production MS. Many variations for ground and space-use exist. Compared to MS in other armies, the unit is unusual in that its very slow. But as much as it sacrifices in mobility, it has strong defensive abilities and can be loaded with heavyweight armaments. It's basic weaponry is a gun & Carbon Blade and though seen as an old model in contrast to other forces, its very reliable."

Head height: 18.1 meters
Base weight: 121.3 tons
Designed by Kenji Teraoka
SNT1 wrote:"Doubt" shouldn't ever be mentioned when describing 00-Raiser (or its armaments)
Annon Kaies Zi

Even though it seems similar, I don't think the Mobile Suit from the 29 second promo is the Tieren. They look similar to an extent (antenna, color, arms), but seem to have differences (such as the lack of shoulder shields, different chest). Can anyone point out something that would prove that they are the same or are different? Maybe something in the text from that scan?
-Annon Kaies Zi
[email protected]

(Avatar made from an Anaheim Machines rendering.)
AmuroNT1

I like these designs. It's nice to see MS with a bit more variety to them; lately it felt like Sunrise was losing its creativity, at least to me. Even the Tieren looks pretty good, considering it's the Obligatory Zaku Tribute.

EDIT: No, that's definitely a new design. Reminds me of Dancouga Nova, where half the enemy mecha were battleships that turned into giant lumbering behemoths.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
[BAWOO]

Wow, I'm impressed! I especially dig the Union Flag, even though they are just reworked Lions.
razgriz

that large overhang on the front of that unit is just begging to be saberslashed. :twisted:
btw i really like how they made the weapons more "realistic" as in not everything is beam-this beam-that. you got rail/coil guns, carbon blades, and vibro-blades. all things that with a lot of work and a few years advancement with today's tech can be possible without miracle particles.
(setsuna giggling)
SNT1

I am not feeling the skinny guys (gals?). But the Tieren...man that's the good stuff right there? Just gives off a real grunt feeling. Very rough, almost like a Mechwarrior.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
Kuruni

I like Tieren more. Its design look like something old and common, look like a link between tank and MS, same feeling given by Loto from Gundam Unicorn. Somehow I think they duplicate Zaku II's magic once more, something that do look like actual war vehicle.

Other two, while look more advance, doesn't give enough impression to me.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Kiggz

[quote="razgriz"]wow, talk about a change of pace.
i get an almost eva-vibe from them.

Wow thats so true i almost get the same feeling lol.
So are there any other grunts out now other than these 3 ?

I cant wait to see the villain's mobile suit :D this is so much fun i do not understand why the mods closed the 00 Thread :S
I do not see the problem in just talking about the new series ? all we have been doing is discussing the new suits talking about details as the info comes in :/

but anyways i think the new suits are not so bad although they look very futuristic and it some what looks like they are skinny and use sophisticated Compact parts/Technology.

The first 3 are cool i cant wait to see the others.
Annon Kaies Zi

razgriz wrote:wow, talk about a change of pace.
i get an almost eva-vibe from them.

Wow thats so true i almost get the same feeling lol.
So are there any other grunts out now other than these 3 ?

I cant wait to see the villain's mobile suit :D this is so much fun i do not understand why the mods closed the 00 Thread :S
I do not see the problem in just talking about the new series ? all we have been doing is discussing the new suits talking about details as the info comes in :/

but anyways i think the new suits are not so bad although they look very futuristic and it some what looks like they are skinny and use sophisticated Compact parts/Technology.

The first 3 are cool i cant wait to see the others.
All the suits we've seen are on my page (see signature). We've yet to see anything else. It seems like the three that were just revealed are going to be the main grunt suit from each side. And since it seems they all have their own variations, I assume the lineart that we'll see in the coming weeks (if any) will be variations of these three grunt suits.
-Annon Kaies Zi
[email protected]

(Avatar made from an Anaheim Machines rendering.)