Shiranui Akatsuki - flight in atmosphere?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
exxecutor000

Shiranui Akatsuki - flight in atmosphere?

Is Shiranui Akatsuki capable of sustained flight in atmosphere? There is some big thrusters in the backpack.

Legend is capable of flight, just to compare with. (their design is almost the same: no proper wing system)
exxecutor000... zero zero zero
Ravager

Bear in mind Legend is nuclear-powered while Shiranui might be battery-powered, not clear on that.
Chris
Administrator

Ravager wrote:Bear in mind Legend is nuclear-powered while Shiranui might be battery-powered, not clear on that.
The powerplant would have nothing to do with whether or not Shiranui Akatsuki can fly, only how long it can stay in the air after consuming energy from movement and offensive attacks.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Ravager

I thought having nuclear powerplants mean you'll have unlimited power for your boosters and verniers in the CE mobile suits.
RGM-79 GM

Ravager wrote:I thought having nuclear powerplants mean you'll have unlimited power for your boosters and verniers in the CE mobile suits.
What Chris is saying is that it doesn't if a MS has a nuclear reactor or not if it has either one it could still possibly fly. So he is saying that if a MS isn't not flight capable just because it has a worse reactor and that whatever reactor you have that doesn't decide if the MS can fly or not.
US Army Infantryman's creed wrote:In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous; Armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country's trust. Always I fight on: through the foe, to the objective, to triumph over all. If necessary, I fight to my death
Dendrobium Stamen

While lacking a nuclear engine doesn't stop a Cosmic Era MS from flying, it generally means it can't do so for very long, unless specifically designed to do so like the DINN or Murasame (the latter in particular).

Machines like Impulse can maintain flight through sheer thrust power, so it's not unfeasible that Shiranui Akatsuki could do so too, though at an even 90 tons it's somewhat heavier than Force Impulse (78.3 tons) or the GOUF (72.13 tons). Aile Strike Rouge could maintain flight at a weight of 85.1 tons, but the sheer size of the Aile Striker means it'd be putting out a lot of thrust, and those engines do seem to have air intakes so they can operate as more conventional atmospheric jets.

...It's the "conventional atmospheric jets" part that seems to justify the Jet Striker, since those wings can't provide much lift to such a fundamentally unaerodynamic shape...
"Trust me, I know what I'm doing." - Sledge Hammer.
A Wind Raging Through, a Destiny sidestory.
exxecutor000

Yeah... now I remember watching Legend in atmosphere. It can fly, but not as well as destiny in terms of maneuverability and speed.

From your replies above, I can conclude now that Shiranui Akatsuki is capable of flight in atmosphere. But it have few disadvantages unable to detach its remote-controlled pods and average speed & maneuverability. :wink:
exxecutor000... zero zero zero
razgriz

the pods could detach im sure but they would be more like golden glorified missiles since they wouldnt be able to float.
setsuna: I AM A GUNDAM!!!
graham: I AM A FLAG!!!
(setsuna giggling)
graham: NO!! i said FLLLAG!
athrunxjustice

The shiranui pack is meant for use in space because the dragoons dont work in the atmosphere
ShadowCell

This thread is almost a year old. Do you not notice these things or what?

For the last time, stop dragging these threads back from the grave to add absolutely nothing.