Mobile Suit Delivery

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Ravager

That's a good idea, but these are MS-sized pods, so i doubt ZAFT or the EAF or any other faction would want to waste resources on producing so many disposable pods and decoy pods that will all be gone after just one battle.
Brave Fencer Kirby

Well, obviously you wouldn't do it for every single drop. You would only need those sorts of tactics when you're doing a mass drop against a well-defended target capable of mounting significant anti-air defenses. The only time I can think of off hand where this actually happened was when ZAFT dropped against Heaven's Base... when, ironically, it wouldn't have helped against Nibelung.
Fighting evil so you don't have to!
Phantomexe87

Brave Fencer Kirby wrote:Well, obviously you wouldn't do it for every single drop. You would only need those sorts of tactics when you're doing a mass drop against a well-defended target capable of mounting significant anti-air defenses. The only time I can think of off hand where this actually happened was when ZAFT dropped against Heaven's Base... when, ironically, it wouldn't have helped against Nibelung.
Which seems like a rather dumb unreusable weapon, as it can't exactly move or aim elsewhere, kind of a one time use thing.

The ZAFT drop capsules aren't very effective for defense, just atmosphere re-entry. I recall the Zeon used HLVs, which seemed to be fairly well armored, based off of 0083, pretty thick hull. Plus HLVs are easily re-usable.
Ravager

The ZAFT drop capsules aren't very effective for defense
Drop capsules aren't supposed to be for defense, so i don't know where you're getting at.

@BFKirby: Well, you just contradicted yourself by using the Nibelung as an example, but i get your point. Defenses like the Nibelung are rare, so in large-scale drops the capsules you mentioned are highly effective, discounting the resource drain on the side that employs them.
razgriz

still i feel its always best to sanitize the drop point if possible before launching big numbers of glorified heat shields into the enemies waiting gunsights
setsuna: I AM A GUNDAM!!!
graham: I AM A FLAG!!!
(setsuna giggling)
graham: NO!! i said FLLLAG!
young_oldtype

Ravager wrote:Ok, so i still see Option C as the best. They work all the time as shown in SEED and SEED Destiny. They're excellent at flanking enemy units like with the Doms entering Orb but their only major weakness is if the enemy has something like the Nibelung. Win-win method for ZAFT.

Option A is best for mass invasions on a secured drop route because of their capacity, but they are extremely weak in a hostile situation. Saw them burst like eggs when Zechs appeared in the Tallgeese III in Endless Waltz.
I certainly agree. But given that drop pods disintegrate upon reentry, don't you think it's somewhat a costly means of transport?
Theoden wrote:[/color]Spears shall be shaken, shields be splintered! A sword-day, a red day, ere the sun rises!

See bullcrap here.
SD Gundam Online Taiwan IGN:
Praxis
ShadowCell

Why do you keep digging up all these old threads? This one is almost a year old--if it's been that long since the last reply, then that means people are done with it.