noir striker: how does it fly?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
eztofu

noir striker: how does it fly?

after building the HG noir....

i took a look at the striker pack and noticed one thing: the lack of thrusters.

now this didnt really make sense: the noir pack is a development of the IWSP pack.

the IWSP pack is loaded with thrusters, while the noir pack had zip.

all i notice is that the pack has just control surfaces for flight (those wings)..

so does it mean that strike E is capable of sustained flight without the noir striker?
acguy rules. period.
razgriz

its the first ce suit fitted with repulsorlift drive. :lol: jk

seriously although ive only seen bits and pieces of stargazer, i dont think that the strike noir was meant have sustained flight capabilities unlike the jet striker mounted on windams and gm oops dagger ls. it probably had enough thrust to provide for a very strong jump and then use the wing binders for a controlled crash aka glide.
setsuna: I AM A GUNDAM!!!
graham: I AM A FLAG!!!
(setsuna giggling)
graham: NO!! i said FLLLAG!
Homeless

No, it does seem capable of complete flight, judging from how it flew to the refugee camp in Stargazer Stage-2, and fought an aerial battle over the ocean in Delta Astray Gate 4~5.
so does it mean that strike E is capable of sustained flight without the noir striker?
Nope, it drops like a rock after it loses the Noir Striker in Delta Astray Gate-5. I have no idea on how it actually uses the Noir to fly, aside from the Gundam physics of "it has wings/wing-shaped protrusions, so it can fly!"
Last edited by Homeless on Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Always do the right thing. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" -Mark Twain
CYNICISM AT IT'S BEST

no, from the animation that I've seen along with what the manga text on MAHQ says, it has sustained flight capabilities, So I'm guessing that the suit itself has signicant thrust on it's own and uses the Noir Striker for lift and maneuvering control.

*Ninja'd by Homeless*
Last edited by CYNICISM AT IT'S BEST on Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
razgriz

oh ok my bad, like i said ive only seen bits and pieces of stargazer. so there must be some hidden thrusters in those things ala wing zero custom.
(setsuna giggling)
Melchior

This image sugests that the wings fold upwards to create wings similar to that of the Jet striker, and this is presumealy how it sustains flight.
razgriz

well there you have it, the thrusters are on the breech end of the guns :lol:
(setsuna giggling)
CYNICISM AT IT'S BEST

I went and found the Stargazer promo vid, it shows the Noir flying from behind and it doesn't appear that there are any thrusters in the Noir Striker itself.
Valles

Guessing that the wingspan of the Noir Striker pack comes to about 35-40 meters, I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be capable of aerodynamic flight. A fully loaded medium-sized military cargo plane like the C-130 has about the same wingspan and about the same mass, after all.

That's not the same as saying that it'd be fast, agile, or even remotely graceful, but a brick with an engine and wings stuck on will fly.

Ja, -n
Asuka

the amount of thrust needed to sustain any flight with that much aerodynamic drag however would have to be immense. A C-130 is big, yeah, but it can fly because its (relatively) streamlined.
Xess

Valles wrote:Guessing that the wingspan of the Noir Striker pack comes to about 35-40 meters, I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be capable of aerodynamic flight. A fully loaded medium-sized military cargo plane like the C-130 has about the same wingspan and about the same mass, after all.

That's not the same as saying that it'd be fast, agile, or even remotely graceful, but a brick with an engine and wings stuck on will fly.

Ja, -n
A C-130 also has a much larger total wing area than the thin wing on the MS giving it more lift. It's just a brick with a look-cool wing strapped on that flies by putting a gigantic motor on it. The thing would realistically tear itself apart from stress as soon as it tried to do anything but move like a beached whale.
Take my love, take my land, take me where I cannot stand. I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me. - Ballad of Serenity
Valles

the amount of thrust needed to sustain any flight with that much aerodynamic drag however would have to be immense.
Certainly true. The amount of thrust needed to accelerate something the size of a mobile suit at one gravity or more is also immense, though, and we know that that's within the thing's capabilities.
A C-130 also has a much larger total wing area than the thin wing on the MS giving it more lift. It's just a brick with a look-cool wing strapped on that flies by putting a gigantic motor on it. The thing would realistically tear itself apart from stress as soon as it tried to do anything but move like a beached whale.
And the thing would also, realistically, shatter its legs like glass the first time it tried to take a step. Besides, 'beached whale' is just about exactly how I said it'd handle in the first place.

Taking a more careful look at the depictions of the Noir, and checking Wiki's article on wing loading, it would be on the heavy side, but, I think, not impossibly so.

Ja, -n
Gadget

Maybe the Noir wings will 'flap like crazy' like a humming bird. It flap so fast that we mistaken it as soild wings. :wink:

Anyway, on a more sensible note. It's not how much thrusters a machine have. It's how much power the thrusters can produce. The Ford Falcon got four cylinders and the engine capicity is 4000cc. The Comador got a V6 engine and its about 4000cc. So one model got four cylinders, and the other got 6 cylinders. And they both produce about the same power.

So I'm postulating that the Noir packs adds more power to the thrusters. It is a well known fact that all Striker packs also provide battery power. So why not it provide additional power for the existing thrusters.
CYNICISM AT IT'S BEST

Well from the pics MAHQ has of the striker itself and the animation I've seen it doesn't add any thrusters, heck I don't think it even adds a battery like several others do
razgriz

yet another great gundam mystery or simply style over substance.
(setsuna giggling)
Vectorspace

I remember a similar discussion about when the first Stargazer trailer came out, when you can see Strike Noir flying over some mountains with the only visible thrust coming from the Strike E's thrusters and nothing from the pack.

I think I was arguing that Strike Aile would be far faster and more maneuverable because of the additional thrusters.

With lift from the wings (and assuming that the Strike E has upgraded thrusters over the Strike) it probably could fly, but not fast and with not much maneuverability. With so little thrust relative to its weight it would probably stall attempting anything more than the most basic aerial maneuvers.
razgriz

maybe the wings are mostly hollow or they have some small micro channels in them to let air pass through.
(setsuna giggling)
Homeless

Vectorspace wrote: With so little thrust relative to its weight it would probably stall attempting anything more than the most basic aerial maneuvers.
It actually does some pretty high-speed manuevers in Delta Astray.
"Always do the right thing. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" -Mark Twain
razgriz

maybe it uses a system similar to the much speculated ion lift drive that keeps the archangel floating through the air and skimming over the sea. we all know that the phantom pain loves to keep their technologies secret
(setsuna giggling)
DeltasTaii

It MIGHT have some thrusters hidden in the back of the wings behind the railguns, PERHAPS. If you're like me, and desperately need to cling to something :lol:

In any case, most flight capable MS like say, the Freedom, have often been shown flying with just their primary backpack thrusters lit at one point or another, though with thrust coming out of places that don't really make sense on Justice just to hover a few scenes later...