Gravity

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
marito yuy

Gravity

Dose the gravity in space colonies match that of Earth?
Zeonic Glory

I think the gravity is similar in most areas due to the rotation. In UC colonies, when you go to the space port, there is no gravity(or maybe less). But for the most part, colonies have gravity similar to Earth's.
Warning: When using Minovsky Particles, please do not drive or operate heavy machinery. If you have a Newtype Flash lasting longer than 6 hours, please call 911 as this may be a sign of a serious and life threatening side-effect. Ask your doctor if taking Minovsky Particles are right for you.
Phantomexe87

If the gravity is less, wouldn't that make spacenoids somewhat physically weaker than Earthnoids?
Brave Fencer Kirby

On colonies, gravity is Earth standard due to the rotation of the colony cylinder. The closer you get to the center of the cylinder, however, the less gravity there is -- and at the spaceports (in the center of the cylinder at either endcap) there's no gravity at all.

On Luna, however, gravity is presumably 1/6th of Earth (the natural force of gravity on the surface of the moon), though as Phantomexe87 points out, this would lead to some strange health consequences for Lunarians that aren't shown at all in the animation.
Fighting evil so you don't have to!
Zeonic Glory

That might be true. In Ecole Du Ciel volume 4, Shinn mentions that bones heal slower in space than on Earth.
Warning: When using Minovsky Particles, please do not drive or operate heavy machinery. If you have a Newtype Flash lasting longer than 6 hours, please call 911 as this may be a sign of a serious and life threatening side-effect. Ask your doctor if taking Minovsky Particles are right for you.
Ryujin

Zeonic Glory wrote:That might be true. In Ecole Du Ciel volume 4, Shinn mentions that bones heal slower in space than on Earth.
As experienced by astronauts, the bones lose calcium in a weightless environment, a lot of which end up as urinary calcium and could possibly lead to the formation of kidney stones.
Hyakushiki

I wonder if spacenoids undergo gene therapy to retard the effects of bone and
muscle atrophy.
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
Brave Fencer Kirby

Most spacenoids wouldn't need to -- colonies have Earth-standard gravity, and most long-deployment ships have gravity blocks. Basically the only people it would be a problem for is Lunarians.
Phantomexe87

I wonder how gravity is in the PLANTs which aren't based off of any existing or scientifically plausible space environments, or as far as I know, so it takes some imagination. Of course, coordinators are stronger than naturals on earth, so even with lower gravity it would work out. But do we have any idea of the PLANTs gravity?
QuessParaya

Hyakushiki wrote:I wonder if spacenoids undergo gene therapy to retard the effects of bone and
muscle atrophy.
Most likely not. If BFK's answer is indeed the case, a colony's gravity is almost the same as that of Earth, except for those who live on the moon, and maybe there might be some adaptation? (Feel free to correct me.)

Phantom: I have never seen a mention of PLANT gravity in book or TV series form, so this is a question I can't quite answer. However, I don't think that Coordinators are "immune" to the effects of gravity, like Naturals. (I have not seen SEED Destiny)
Eamus Catuli

HEJA BVB
Brave Fencer Kirby

Phantomexe87 wrote:I wonder how gravity is in the PLANTs which aren't based off of any existing or scientifically plausible space environments, or as far as I know, so it takes some imagination. Of course, coordinators are stronger than naturals on earth, so even with lower gravity it would work out. But do we have any idea of the PLANTs gravity?
Gravity in the PLANTs is, presumably, Earth standard just like the Island 3 colonies. You can make anything Earth standard by rotating it at the right speed. Of course, the PLANT design is extremely silly, what with a fantastically low surface area to volume ratio (all that empty space that no one can live on!) and extremely vulnerable centerpoint position (take that one junction out, and the entire thing spins apart...), but it would be pretty close to Earth as far as living conditions go.
Phantomexe87

Yet I can't see the PLANTs rotating, so, I don't see how they manage that. Although given coordinators being super nerds, I'm sure they came up with some gravity enducing device, course the wole hourglass design is just silly to begin with.
Hyakushiki

I never understood how those "hourglass" colonies worked either, Though
they are pretty.
toysdream

Phantomexe87 wrote:Yet I can't see the PLANTs rotating, so, I don't see how they manage that. Although given coordinators being super nerds, I'm sure they came up with some gravity enducing device, course the wole hourglass design is just silly to begin with.
No, the Gundam Seed universe doesn't have magic gravity control. The only Gundam show that does is G Gundam. Otherwise, Gundam never hand-waves the laws of physics away like so-called "realistic" Western sci-fi. :-)

As for how the PLANTs rotate, you can see a cute animation of this on the main page of GundamOfficial.

-- Mark
Phantomexe87

toysdream wrote: As for how the PLANTs rotate, you can see a cute animation of this on the main page of GundamOfficial.

-- Mark
But in the animation all the PLANTs are lined up next to each other... so that would be impossible...
Hyakushiki

Another problem with microgravity is reduced heart function. Lunarians would be at greater risk for heart attacks at full G.
Xess

Phantomexe87 wrote:But in the animation all the PLANTs are lined up next to each other... so that would be impossible...
Presumably they're far enough apart to avoid hitting each other.
Take my love, take my land, take me where I cannot stand. I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me. - Ballad of Serenity
Mwulf

Phantomexe87 wrote:If the gravity is less, wouldn't that make spacenoids somewhat physically weaker than Earthnoids?
First generation colonists (Universal Century, of course) are supposed to be significantly weaker... that's why Degwin Zabi looks like Jabba the Hutt. <--he was born on Luna, IIRC

The O'Neil colonies likely have 1G or very close to that. I don't know if they exist in "gundam" but the smaller rotating cylinders that circle O'Niel types are supposed to have gravity too, though much less than 1G.
Another Day, Another Mishap.

Gundam Seed Fates
ASA (comic)
Wingnut

For the Island 3 colony type:
Mobile Suit Gundam: High Frontier wrote:The simulated “gravity” resulting from the rotation varies from one “G” at the base of the mountain to zero-G at the apex. The drop-off is linear—at the 1.6-kilometer (one-mile) level, midway (45°) up the mountainside, the pseudo-gravity is 50% (½ G). You can calculate the acceleration that produces this pseudo-gravity using the formula F=rω²/g, where F is the resulting acceleration, r is the distance from the central axis, ω is the angular velocity (a constant equal to 2π times the number of rotations per second) and g is the acceleration due to gravity experienced on Earth (9.80665 m/s² or 32.174 ft/s²).
For more on gravity itself.

For info on the Bernal Sphere "Island One" type colony of which the "Moon Moon" colony in ZZ is one of Click here.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
marito yuy

Isnt gravity also created by an objects mass. The bigger the colony the more gravity.