MS better suited for space combat: GM or Rick Dom?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
razgriz

thats true, so long as u dont have sucidal pilots like in ms igloo who will fly that rick dom until the engines overload and explode.
setsuna: I AM A GUNDAM!!!
graham: I AM A FLAG!!!
(setsuna giggling)
graham: NO!! i said FLLLAG!
FA-ZZ

true, more thrusters, more propellant, more weight, more chance to use up said propellant. and we all know what can happen to an ms that runs out of gas *ahem kampfer ahem*
Actually, replacing the hoverjets by rocket thursters made more room for fuel and made Rick Dom lighter, so gas consomption isn't an issue here.
As for Rick Dom II, that's why they added those external propellant tanks.

And IIRC, Kämpfer didn't run out of gas, but out of ammo (and luck).
Last edited by FA-ZZ on Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RGM-79 GM

Running out of gas in space is always an issue. Sure the Rick-Doms was made lighter but we don't know how much lighter if the empty weight is messed up. It has more fuel than the Doms since the Dom didn't need much for it's hoverjets while the Rick-Doms would need more to last in space. Also because of what type of MS it is.

Yeah the Kampher ran out of ammo not gas but what he emant is that when the Kampher does run out of gas is that it would lose what is best about it and just be there unable to use it's thrusters. I also burns fuel very very fast same with the Zaku Kai.
US Army Infantryman's creed wrote:In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous; Armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country's trust. Always I fight on: through the foe, to the objective, to triumph over all. If necessary, I fight to my death
FA-ZZ

I mean it's not a bigger issue for the Rick Dom than for the GM. As far as I know fuel consomption isn't a drawback for the Rick Dom beeing bulkier and having many thrusters.
GMs on the other hand have to take care of energy consumption, cause if heat sabers do wear out after a few blow, beam sabers and beam spray guns can't be used extensively and have to recharge after a while (I think this has already be said earlier).

Anyways, if it comes to hand to hand combat, Rick Dom's strength is more than enough to crush GM's weaker body.
razgriz

i suppose if a rick dom really needed to it could womp the comparatively puny gm if it came to punches and kicks, you cant go wrong with size 1400EEE feet and fists as large as a volkswagen bug.
(setsuna giggling)
domtropen

Unless fighting in restricted area where GM can be cornered GM's faster reaction/turnaround time would probably give it advantage in such up-close attack. Plus Rickdom's kicking range is still shorter than GM's beam saber range... On the other hand even Zaku II can rip parts of Gundam if it has a chance like in Movie II, so I think most MSs can crush and tear apart other MSs if given time. A direct hit from Rickdom's leg or foot may be able to stunt GM or heavily damage it, but only if the strike connects...

Before Alex's new handplug there is indeed a danger of Beam saber running out of juice, as shown in Movie II IIRC when Gundam's saber just light out while stabbing one of Goufs.
razgriz

all this talk almost makes me wish that someone could create a computer animation a la ms igloo, of a gm vs a rick dom in various combat situations, ie starting at long range and having the fight down to melee range and then when all else fails ms *****slapping.
(setsuna giggling)
RGM-79 GM

As far as I know fuel isn't a issue for the GM, Gundam, Zaku I, Zaku II, Rick-Dom, Gelgoog, or any of the GM and Gelgoog variants. The energy for beam weapons and fuel are two different things. Yeah they do have to recharge beamsabers but IIRC they last for an hour or so. Beamspray guns can't be recharged by the MS and have to get taken back to a ship but they have quite a bit of ammo for weapons that can destroy a Rick-Dom in one hit. While the GMs beamweapons would need to be recharged the Rick-Doms bazooka would need to be brought back to a ship to get a fresh clip or to recharge the battery in it's heat saber.

I don't think the Rick-Dom is actually any or much stronger than the GM. Just more bulky. Infact I think apart from the Zaku Is and Zaku IIs all the MS in MSG have about the same strength. The Gundam, GM, Gouf, and Gyan would need high strength since they are all close combat MS and need to be able to press the enemy MS back while MS that aren't made mostly for close combat wouldn't need as high amounts of strength since they would mostly be used for shooting with mid-long range guns.

EDIT: Ninja'd by domtropen I guess.
US Army Infantryman's creed wrote:In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous; Armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country's trust. Always I fight on: through the foe, to the objective, to triumph over all. If necessary, I fight to my death
domtropen

IIRC since Zaku I pretty much all MSs have handplug that both communicate with and power up weapons in hand. Early MSs handplug cannot feed Minovsky particles and/or plasma into beam saber, however, so its beam saber can run out and need to be recharged in appropriate racks. Heat weapons are powered via MS's handplug so it should not run out. However there were discussions about whether or not Norris's Gouf in 08th MS Team is powered by battery or not.

BSG can be recharged when attached to GM's hip, but the recharge time is very slow. As of giant bazooka it is weird that if it can be reloaded on ship, why can't it be reloaded by MS itself.
RGM-79 GM

No I think heat weapons have their own battery that does run out of power I mean if the MS' battery powered the heat weapon they would probably use about the same amount of juice as a beamsaber.

No the BSG can't be recharged by the GM at all. The hip attachment is just for it to store an extra gun. Same with any other ranged beam weapon. The MS supply power to the guns to fire the particles and when a MS' beam weapon runs out of power it runs out of particles not actual power and the only place to refill the particles is on a ship or at a base. Well I think the Dom's arms aren't flexable enough to grab the magazine in the bazooka and take it out and then replace it. Not sure though.
toysdream

RGM-79 GM wrote:No I think heat weapons have their own battery that does run out of power
They're powered by the mobile suit itself, not a battery. We've had threads on this before, and when you look at the Japanese publications they're absolutely unanimous on this point.
No the BSG can't be recharged by the GM at all. The hip attachment is just for it to store an extra gun.
This seems a little unclear, since the old MSV books said that the beam spray gun didn't use a beam rifle-style Energy CAP, but on the other hand I don't think I've seen a Japanese source clearly stating that the GM can recharge its beam spray gun either. Maybe "we don't know" is the best answer here.

-- Mark
domtropen

I think someone said it that info on BSG recharged at GM's hip is from MG manual. I am not so sure about this so maybe someone can check the manual?

Anyone has info about the inner structure of Dom series' heat saber? It is kinda interesting edgeless cutting weapon.
toysdream

domtropen wrote:I think someone said it that info on BSG recharged at GM's hip is from MG manual. I am not so sure about this so maybe someone can check the manual?
It doesn't mention this under the "weapons" section of the kit manual, but now that you mention it, there's a separate "mount latch" section which shows the beam spray gun attaching to the hip mount and says that "It appears there were also types that could recharge its energy when not in combat situations, although this took some time."

Does this mean that the mount latch featured in the original Master Grade GM was one of these types? What about the simpler socket used in the Master Grade GM Kai kit? As far as I can tell, it doesn't really say.

-- Mark
RGM-79 GM

Oh I never saw those topics and thought the heat weapoms were powered by a battery in the weapon.
domtropen

I guess since the recharge time is said to be slow it may not be that useful, so it is ditched in GM Kai? The BSG itself seems to be ditched as well till better beam guns come up a few years later [GM II's, Galbaldy's and Act-Zaku/Marasai's].
bluemax151

toysdream wrote: It doesn't mention this under the "weapons" section of the kit manual, but now that you mention it, there's a separate "mount latch" section which shows the beam spray gun attaching to the hip mount and says that "It appears there were also types that could recharge its energy when not in combat situations, although this took some time."
-- Mark
Would it be presumptuous to assume that this means that if the GM is not "active" or in other words has essentially all systems powered down it can slowly recharge the BSG using this hip latch/socket? Seems like a fairly neat feature to units deployed into the field with no immediate base/mothership to resupply or re power at.
こいつ が ガンダム か
RIP John Neil Seward Jr/Jack Seward 10/11/1924-11/10/2010
RGM-79 GM

Well if they can recharge it with all other systems off it defitenally seems like something you don't wanna use in combat depending on how long it takes.
Brave Fencer Kirby

bluemax151 wrote:Would it be presumptuous to assume that this means that if the GM is not "active" or in other words has essentially all systems powered down it can slowly recharge the BSG using this hip latch/socket? Seems like a fairly neat feature to units deployed into the field with no immediate base/mothership to resupply or re power at.
That's an interesting interpretation -- it gives a good reason to have such a slow-recharging mechanism, when it obviously wouldn't be useful in the heat of combat. I actually quite like the idea -- but it's also possible that they simply meant it wouldn't be smart to have your main weapon attached at the hip while you're entering a combat zone. Seems like it'd be more useful on Earth, though -- in space you have to worry about propellant supply more than anything else, and if a GM has fired his beam spray gun enough to run out of ammo it seems likely that he'd have used up most of his propellant with combat maneuvering and would need to be resupplied anyway. Unlike the Gryps Conflict and beyond, during the One Year War mobile suits seem to be a strictly short-range weapon, at least in space...
Fighting evil so you don't have to!