The Official Gundam Thunderbolt Mecha Thread Mk I

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
domtropen

Re: The Official Gundam Thunderbolt Mecha Thread Mk I

Probably the recharge time without assistance from ms reactor would be too long for the mission.

Interestingly in ep4 the Dom-style giant bazooka Daryl use is re-loadable. Is this the 1st time this is done in UC anime-wise?
Wingnut

domtropen wrote:Probably the recharge time without assistance from ms reactor would be too long for the mission.

Interestingly in ep4 the Dom-style giant bazooka Daryl use is re-loadable. Is this the 1st time this is done in UC anime-wise?
It's always been sort-of implied that Zeon bazookas of all types are reloadable in the field, but this is the first time we've actually seen someone slap in a fresh magazine on screen that I can recall.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
domino

The scene with Io exiting the Gundam clearly shows the Core Fighter cockpit so it's pretty much confirmed that this is a modified RX-78 with custom Full Armour system and is not a Heavy Gundam - which lacks the Core Fighter system.
Erisie

domino wrote:Note that the replacement GM Cannons haven't shown any evidence of also being equipped with core block systems - they also lack the addition of manipulator arms.
The manga clearly depicts one with a escape system, the same one used by GMs earlier on (see below). Also, those are full-blown RX-77 Guncannons, not GM Cannons.
Wingnut wrote:It's always been sort-of implied that Zeon bazookas of all types are reloadable in the field
According to the The Origin Mechanical Archives, that is correct. Whether as a single-shot round loaded from the breech or a magazine, all Zeon bazookas (technically, recoilless guns) can be reloaded.
domino wrote:The scene with Io exiting the Gundam clearly shows the Core Fighter cockpit so it's pretty much confirmed that this is a modified RX-78 with custom Full Armour system and is not a Heavy Gundam - which lacks the Core Fighter system.
At least in the manga, all GMs (or rather, all EF mobile suits) are equipped with some sort of Core Block. Deacon's translation says "Core Block", whereas the anime clearly states "Cockpit Block" in a sequence where the Mua fleet is tallying its losses (that specific manga scene, with the GMs returning to the Beehive, wasn't adapted). I'd probably guess that the anime's producers specifically made that change in order to keep the adaptation in canon with the rest of the animated UC.
domtropen

May anyone translate what does the pic say about the D1 type zaku bazooka https://i.imgur.com/maFw3TI.jpg? Why does they make it shorter with new place for magazine attachment? And does the smaller round have more advance and powerful warhead?
domino

Erisie wrote:
domino wrote:Note that the replacement GM Cannons haven't shown any evidence of also being equipped with core block systems - they also lack the addition of manipulator arms.
The manga clearly depicts one with a escape system, the same one used by GMs earlier on (see below). Also, those are full-blown RX-77 Guncannons, not GM Cannons.
That's a GunCannon, not a GM Cannon. GunCannons and GunTanks have Coreblock systems. The reinforcements included both GunCannons and GM Cannons. I was referring to the GM Cannons.

I'm not sure where you got reference that non-Mua brotherhood GMs had the Coreblock systems. The reinforcement kiddies' GM Cannons didn't seem to have
Erisie

domino wrote:That's a GunCannon, not a GM Cannon. GunCannons and GunTanks have Coreblock systems. The reinforcements included both GunCannons and GM Cannons. I was referring to the GM Cannons.
It seems you're right. Those are GM Cannons in the back, all right.
domino wrote:I'm not sure where you got reference that non-Mua brotherhood GMs had the Coreblock systems. The reinforcement kiddies' GM Cannons didn't seem to have
The Core Block escape system deployed by the kid's Guncannon on volume 3 looks identical to the ones used by the GMs on volume 1. Those GM Cannons look equipped with the same extra thrusters, large backpacks and extra sub-arms as any other GM that appeared in previous and subsequent volumes. By this logic, it's safe to assume that the GM Cannons have the Core Block system equipped as well.

Also, remember that the kids got ambushed by the Rick Dom. The elements of speed and surprise on Zeon's part, plus the lack of piloting experience by the EF's kid pilots, meant that they weren't even able to eject, except for the Guncannon.
domino

Except they don't have the same backpacks or extra sub-arms - else they'd have been carrying the extra shields and different beam guns too.

It's clear that the non-Mua brotherhood mobile suits (GM Cannons and GunCannons) were equipped differently from the Mua GMs we see that are wiped out in the first episode/chapters
Erisie

domino wrote:Except they don't have the same backpacks or extra sub-arms - else they'd have been carrying the extra shields and different beam guns too.
Except they DO have the same backpacks, the extra thrusters and sub-arms, shields and different beam guns too. (side view) (back view 1) (back view 2). With all these similarities to the GMs seen before and afterwards, then it's not ludicrous to think that the GM Cannons also have the same Core Block ejection system used by both the GMs and Guncannons.
domino

That's interesting re: the backpack but design aesthetic aside, I'd wager that while you're right that the reinforcements could be refitted with the sub-arms and backpacks that they have coreblock systems.

Simply because it's hard to see how that's canon - and maybe why it was changed in the anime (which makes Thunderbolt canon). The Feds wouldn't have given custom GMs to a group of wet-behind-the-ears recruits.....even if they are providing cover for the Gundam.

In the anime, we don't see the GMs with those sub-arms or backpacks either. Most likely they only got the external equipment retrofits and not an entire change to their cockpit.
Erisie

domino wrote:In the anime, we don't see the GMs with those sub-arms or backpacks either. Most likely they only got the external equipment retrofits and not an entire change to their cockpit.
The backpacks and additional thrusters in the chassis are there. They're missing the shield subarm and the twin beam rifle. For that matter, the Rick Dom is also missing the subarms with extra rifles.

Another thing to consider is that the sequence with the kid ejecting from the Guncannon was omitted from the anime, like the one with the GM's Core Blocks returning to the Beehive. I'd probably guess that these two were removed to keep the Thunderbolt anime within canon to the rest of the setting. Under this logic, the modifications to all the hardware seen in the anime are minimal and used only to the factions fighting in the Thunderbolt sector.

Thus, A Baoa Qu happened more or less as we saw on 0079 and Battlefield Record: Avant-Title (the latter directed by Kou Matsuo, same guy as Thunderbolt) and not the manga's depiction with all MS having the same subarms and extra weapons from the Thunderbolt sector. Why is this important? Because any further adaptations of Thunderbolt would look radically different from the manga.
domino

That's my point i.e. just because we see these GMs outfitted with new backpacks doesn't mean that they were customized like the original Mua brotherhood MS with their own coreblock systems whereas we know that GunCannons were always made with corefighters/coreblocks.
Erisie

domino wrote:doesn't mean that they were customized like the original Mua brotherhood MS with their own coreblock systems
At least in the anime, I don't think that the Mua Brotherhood's GMs were equipped with V-Project-like Core Blocks. From the model kits, we know that GMs replace the core fighter for a simpler cockpit block, which can be separated from the chassis and serve an an escape pod for pilots.

Since the anime's dialogue mentions "cockpit blocks" (instead of "core blocks" like in the manga) and we never saw the GM pilots returning, we can guess that the inner construction for all GMs in the Thunderbolt sector (both the customized RGM-79 GMs used by the Mua Brotherhood, and the reinforcement RGC-80 GM Cannons) in the Thunderbolt anime is just like all the standard RGM series from the OYW era, and modifications are only limited to the exterior chassis: backpacks, thrusters, extra shields and arms, and the Full Armor Gundam's twin beam rifle.
domino

Except we see Io escape his GM's destruction in the same cockpit block

Thanks for the references but you'll need firmer evidence to prove the reinforcement GMs also had coreblocks/fighters
Erisie

domino wrote:Except we see Io escape his GM's destruction in the same cockpit block
Io's cockpit block in the anime looks similar to the one that all RGM-79s have always had (while that's the first Master Grade GM, the independent Cockpit Block was also featured in the 2.0 MG kit). And, since the GM Cannon shares most of its parts with the standard GM, it's safe to assume that they have the same cockpit arrangement.

Only the Project-V MS had full-fledged Core Fighters (a cockpit block that transforms into an armed aerospace fighter). GMs replaced it for a simpler Cockpit Block that doesn't transform into a fighter or carries any weapons. This has been a known fact for decades now.
domino wrote:Thanks for the references but you'll need firmer evidence to prove the reinforcement GMs also had coreblocks/fighters
At least in the anime, it's likely that they didn't. The manga changes things since the MS modifications from the "standard canon" are widespread.
Last edited by Erisie on Sun May 01, 2016 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
domino

I wasn't aware that the GM EVER had ejectable coreblock systems - I always thought it just used a standard cockpit system (hence MS being a coffin). I'd assume it was also in the anime too then. If that's canon then I'm wrong and thanks for the correction.
Erisie

domino wrote:I wasn't aware that the GM EVER had ejectable coreblock systems - I always thought it just used a standard cockpit system (hence MS being a coffin). I'd assume it was also in the anime too then. If that's canon then I'm wrong and thanks for the correction.
Eh, don't sweat it, Domino. I thought it was common knowledge at this point.

As an addendum, some information from the Master Archive Mobile Suit - RGM-79 GM (Vol. I) book (questionable canonicity, but still interesting): Whereas the standard canon tells us that the whole chest cockpit block is ejectable in the GM series [replicating the RX-78's engineering almost in a straightforward manner], this book argues that the Cockpit Block (18) and the Reactor Block (19) are separate entities, and only the former is ejected in case of an emergency. According to the text, it is equipped with apogee motors for attitude control.

Here's an exploded view of the chest parts. Only the pieces highlighted in green are part of the Cockpit Block.
BrentD15

FinalSin66 wrote:So yeah......a Dolos underwater.......

http://blogs.c.yimg.jp/res/blog-8d-e6/s ... 1451317312
Why? :evil:
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
Deathzealot

Because it's cool and awesome.
Shinji_Shinigami

gee that last fight was something to behold. Makes we wonder how far the Full armor Gundam would hold its own against later mobile suits. It sure seemed totally overpowerd in the animation. like 10 of those could have won the war on their own or so. I know that side storys add little story fragments, that weren't there when the original show aired, but i wonder what Amuro could have done if his Gundam was modified like this?