The Official Macross Delta Mecha Thread Mk I

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Chris
Administrator

The Official Macross Delta Mecha Thread Mk I

You know what to do.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Seto Kaiba

Re: The Official Macross Delta Mecha Thread Mk I

Ah well, might as well get an early start... MacrossWorld's already got a couple pages worth of bickering over the Saab Draken-inspired enemy VF and the thing that looks like a descendant of the VF-19ACTIVE. :roll:

No New UN Forces roundels in evidence tho... kinda makes you wonder if we're going to see some emigrant planet's local independent defense force like we did in Variable Fighter Episode Archive Vol.1. Not sure if it's a placeholder, what with Kawamori's talk about the symbolic-ness of that broken triangle, or if it's actually the marking of some new faction.

From my last post in the Macross Valkyrie thread...
Seto Kaiba wrote:
Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:It has indeed been confirmed that the one Valk is inspired by the Draken and we'll be finding out more details on Oct. 29
Likely we won't start seeing any actual technical details of the fighters in question until the actual magazine/webizine coverage starts up... probably in either Newtype or Great Mechanics G.

My initial assumption was that the foreground fighter was some kind of derivative of the YF-30's design... I've revised that opinion after seeing the art up close.

On examination, the fighter in the foreground looks like a descendant of, or possibly a production version of, Shinsei and LAI's VF-19ACTIVE "Nothung" technology demonstrator, which appeared in Macross the Ride. It seems to have a more extreme cranked arrow delta wing, and put its stabilizers further out onto the wing surface the way the YF-27-5 from Ride did, but to me, this looks like it could be the same kind of 2050's era delta-wing VF-19 as the ACTIVE.

Could this be the prophesied* VF-19 updated to include an inertia store converter and various other 5th Gen equipment that Masahiro Chiba alluded to in Great Mechanics DX back in 2009?

The other VF, based on the Saab Draken, is a little more confusing. It looks like it either has 2 engine nozzles immediately next to each other (which would really get in the way of its thrust-vectoring) or that it may have two nozzles stacked vertically like on the ASF-X Shinden II which Kawamori designed for the Ace Combat franchise.

* The VF-19ACTIVE was, amusingly, a technology evaluation aircraft that was testing equipment that would later be used in the YF-25 Prophecy.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
Henyo

broken triangle. Macross has three constants: singing, transforming mechas and love triangle.
i'm guessing that Kawamori plans either deconstruct or try something eve more crazier on the three.(he already did in M7 and M0 right?)

or maybe the UNSpacy is losing its power like the federation in the later UC, hence the fighting Valkyries.
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
Seto Kaiba

Henyo wrote:or maybe the UNSpacy is losing its power like the federation in the later UC, hence the fighting Valkyries.
That already happened, actually...

The UN Gov't was already having problems adjusting to the size of its rapidly expanding sphere of influence in the 2030's, and after a number of territorial tiffs between emigrant worlds and a coup d'etat attempt by an extremist faction in the UN Spacy in 2051, the government reorganized in an attempt to adjust to the realities of its territorial growth. The original UN Government was pretty much a strong Federal government overseeing the various member nations on Earth. After being reorganized into the New UN Government we see in Macross Frontier, it's something like a politico-economic union along the lines of the modern EU. The UN Forces got reorganized too, in an understandable effort to curtail their previously-excessive power, and became the New UN Forces.

Earth is still the de facto seat of power and all, but the various emigrant worlds and fleets outside the Sol system gained a lot more freedom to determine their own political and economic policy (and maintain their own armed forces) after the reorganization. It made a lot of practical sense, since some of the more far-flung territories are YEARS away from the government's core systems by fold.

Based on what Kawamori said in Otona Anime #9, there are a number of fleets and worlds out there that are minting their own currency, and deciding various policy issues on their own like the legalization of cybernetics. The VFs of Frontier are another example of this independent development, being that they were developed locally by different fleet governments based on the YF-24 spec that the New UN Gov't disseminated to all of its member states. (Master File's account of this mentions a three-fleet partnership between Frontier, Galaxy, and Olympia called Project Triangler, to develop a next-gen VF that all three would theoretically adopt as their next main fighter.)

We got our first hint of a non-NUNS space force from an emigrant world in Variable Fighter Episode Archive, with the Sewell Independent Space Force, who apparently built the VF-25 under license from Frontier to equip their forces in the 2060s.

Macross Delta's allegedly in 2067, so there may have been proliferation of zero-time fold technology... and a move toward bringing the New UN Government back towards being a strong central government resulting from the removal of the logistical obstacles that made it necessary.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Henyo

i see. and thank you for the information.

so the possibility of a secret group with their own versions of a VF is possible.(and have designs like those from scifi flavored SHUMPS.) maybe we'll get a Zeta like story. a part of UN SPacy goes titans and they start at whatever planet Delta takes place in. < i just had a discussion about this with my supplier. he said it was kind of unlikely. i countered that if maybe if the public got wind of what actually happened with Sharon Apple and that conspiracy group from Frontier that could cause some friction and eventually lead to conflict.

anyone thinking that introducing a new alien species will kind Meh at this point?
Seto Kaiba

Henyo wrote:so the possibility of a secret group with their own versions of a VF is possible.(and have designs like those from scifi flavored SHUMPS.)
Absolutely. In fact, we've had a few of those already too in various canon games and side stories.

The Zentradi anti-government group "Struggle" was the first one to deploy an original VF against the UN Forces. Their Variable Glaug was first encountered in 2018 on Cristrania, and it made so much of an impression that the UN Forces actually adopted it after Struggle's defeat. It went to production as the VBP-1/VA-110 Variable Glaug, and was later enhanced and converted to drone specification as a competitor for the AIF-X-9 Ghost in 2040. (A manned conversion of that later unmanned fighter was pressed into service by the anti-government group FASCES in 2058.)*

In the late 2040's and early 2050's, another model of new VF developed by the anti-government forces emerged... the Feios Valkyrie. It was based loosely off a stolen VF-X-11 combined with Zentradi powered battle suit technology, and multiple anti-government groups deployed it... the most famous being Black Rainbow, which was led by Zentradi ace Timothy Daldhanton.**

2058 brought the third (and thus far, final) anti-government original VF... the Queadluun-Alma, which was a combination of the Feios Valkyrie and Queadluun-Rau developed by scientists from Earth who defected to the anti-government group FASCES, that also incorporated some Protodeviln biotechnology (how they got THAT is anybody's guess) in a barrier system called the Astral System that could theoretically repel fire from a Macross Cannon.***

Technically the VF-27 from Macross Frontier is also one of these, since it was completed in secret by Macross Galaxy and its existence was not disclosed to the New UN Gov't. Its prototype units were illegally tested in live combat in black ops, and came to light in 2058 during Macross the Ride, when pilot Maris Stella and her YF-27-5 showed up in the Vanquish races.

Henyo wrote:a part of UN SPacy goes titans and they start at whatever planet Delta takes place in. < i just had a discussion about this with my supplier. he said it was kind of unlikely. i countered that if maybe if the public got wind of what actually happened with Sharon Apple and that conspiracy group from Frontier that could cause some friction and eventually lead to conflict.
Actually, that's kinda what Latence from Macross VF-X2 and FASCES from Macross the Ride were... they were Earth-supremacist groups that had support within the (New) UN Forces. They didn't go all mass-murder-y the way the Titans were doing in Zeta Gundam, but other than that they'd probably get along fine ideologically.

For the record tho, the general public DID get wind of what happened during the Sharon Apple incident... which led to the government legislating Sharon's music off the shelves temporarily, banning reactive or sentient virtuoids, and opting to pass on making the next main fighter the Ghost X-9 in favor of a manned fighter. Oddly, it doesn't seem to have done that much harm overall... as there are still some fleets that use the Ghost as their main fighter, and virtuoids continue to be at least mildly popular even in the 2060s (see Macross the Musiculture).

Henyo wrote:anyone thinking that introducing a new alien species will kind Meh at this point?
Probably, yeah... we never did learn anything good about Mina Forte's people from Macross 30: Voices Across the Galaxy.

* See Macross M3, Macross Plus's video game edition, and Macross the Ride respectively.

** See Macross Digital Mission VF-X and Macross VF-X2.

*** In Macross the Ride.
The Macross Mecha Manual
latenlazy

Seto Kaiba wrote:
Henyo wrote:or maybe the UNSpacy is losing its power like the federation in the later UC, hence the fighting Valkyries.
That already happened, actually...

The UN Gov't was already having problems adjusting to the size of its rapidly expanding sphere of influence in the 2030's, and after a number of territorial tiffs between emigrant worlds and a coup d'etat attempt by an extremist faction in the UN Spacy in 2051, the government reorganized in an attempt to adjust to the realities of its territorial growth. The original UN Government was pretty much a strong Federal government overseeing the various member nations on Earth. After being reorganized into the New UN Government we see in Macross Frontier, it's something like a politico-economic union along the lines of the modern EU. The UN Forces got reorganized too, in an understandable effort to curtail their previously-excessive power, and became the New UN Forces.

Earth is still the de facto seat of power and all, but the various emigrant worlds and fleets outside the Sol system gained a lot more freedom to determine their own political and economic policy (and maintain their own armed forces) after the reorganization. It made a lot of practical sense, since some of the more far-flung territories are YEARS away from the government's core systems by fold.

Based on what Kawamori said in Otona Anime #9, there are a number of fleets and worlds out there that are minting their own currency, and deciding various policy issues on their own like the legalization of cybernetics. The VFs of Frontier are another example of this independent development, being that they were developed locally by different fleet governments based on the YF-24 spec that the New UN Gov't disseminated to all of its member states. (Master File's account of this mentions a three-fleet partnership between Frontier, Galaxy, and Olympia called Project Triangler, to develop a next-gen VF that all three would theoretically adopt as their next main fighter.)

We got our first hint of a non-NUNS space force from an emigrant world in Variable Fighter Episode Archive, with the Sewell Independent Space Force, who apparently built the VF-25 under license from Frontier to equip their forces in the 2060s.

Macross Delta's allegedly in 2067, so there may have been proliferation of zero-time fold technology... and a move toward bringing the New UN Government back towards being a strong central government resulting from the removal of the logistical obstacles that made it necessary.
I kinda gathered that something like this was happening when Macross Galaxy was revealed as the surprise villain in Frontier, though they did a really poor of explaining this and integrating this into the narrative (oh boy, the things I have to say about Frontier...).
Henyo

Seto Kaiba wrote:
Henyo wrote:anyone thinking that introducing a new alien species will kind Meh at this point?
Probably, yeah... we never did learn anything good about Mina Forte's people from Macross 30: Voices Across the Galaxy.
that reminds me, what are the chances of anything from M30 appearing in Delta? especially in regards to the YF30. i have yet to read up supplemental details on the VF, all i know is that its custom built by Aisha.(What does NUNS do to unit such BTW?)

stuff from games and side materials do make it to animated works sometimes right?

having mentioned a custom built VF, maybe the two VFs from the first official image are that. custom builts.
MrMarch

latenlazy
While I loved Macross Frontier, I must agree with you regarding the topic of narrative and the Macross Galaxy fleet, cyborgs, Grace O'Connor and the whole conspiracy thing. Even after multiple viewings, I undertood almost none of what it was about from the actual series, because very little of it was in the series or the script. It wasn't until after I read the published trivia in materials like the Macross Chronicle that I realized what it was all about. And EVEN THEN some of the essential details are STILL guesses rather than written story. IMO, that was definitely one of the weaknesses at the script level for the Frontier series.

Henyo
Some material from the video games has become included in the animations. I think the VB-6 Konig Monster from the Macross Digital Mission VF-X2 is one of the major ones. The trick with the YF-30 in Macross Delta would be finding a role for it, which would be difficult because the YF-30 might look too much like the Delta valkyries. The VB-6 Konig Monster featured in Macross Forntier had a nice niche role out of the limelight and a distinct look that was impossible to mistake the vehicle for any other.

I have all the available YF-30 trivia completed and it will be in the next update to the M3. For now, I'll post what I have here:
YF-30 Chronos
Equipment Type: variable fighter
Alternate Designation: Variable Super-Dimensional Diver
Government: Strategic Military Services (SMS)
Manufacturer: Shinsei Industry/L.A.I./SMS Ouroboros Branch
Introduction: 2060
Operational Deployment: 2060
Accommodation: pilot only (optional passenger)
Dimensions:
•Battroid Mode: height unknown
•Fighter Mode: wingspan 15.62 meters; height 4.02 meters (without landing gear); length 18.84 meters
•GERWALK Mode: unknown
Mass: empty 8.106 metric tons
Structure: SWAG energy conversion armor
Power Plant: two Shinsei Industry / P&W / RR FF-3001/FC2 Stage II thermonuclear reaction turbine engines
Propulsion: 2 x 2,110.0 kN (maximum thrust in space); many x P&W HMM-9 high-maneuverability vernier thrusters
Performance:
•Fighter Mode: unknown
Maximum Airframe Design Load: unknown
Design Features: 3-mode variable transformation; clipped delta wing; active stealth system; thrust reverser-equipped three-dimensional maneuvering nozzles; boundary layer control (BLC); capable of attaining unassisted orbital velocity over an Earth-class planet; ISC (Inertia Store Converter); chaff/flare/smoke discharger system; cockpit for EX-Gear equipped pilot; linear actuators; Fold Dimension Resonance system (FDR); multipurpose container unit; Brunhilde aircraft control AI (from YF-25)
- Armament -
Guns:
•2 x fixed coaxial 12.7mm beam guns (mounted center dorsal section in Fighter/GERWALK mode, becomes head turret in Battroid mode)
•1 x new model Heavy Quantum Beam gun pod (mounted ventral fuselage in Fighter mode, in arm manipulator for GERWALK/Battroid modes)
•1 x Assault Knife, 1.65m, super strong material reinforced by pin-point barrier system (mounted under left arm shield block)
•1 x pin-point barrier system
Bombs & Missiles:
•6 x underwing hardpoints for anti-ship reaction missiles, fold speakers or other equipment
Optional Armament:
•1 x multipurpose container system; standard type features 36 x micro-missile launchers in four 5-port rows and four 4-port rows (mounted in center rear fuselage when stowed, deployable in all 3 modes utilizing built-in articulating mount)

Description and History

Of all the variable fighters of the 2050's perhaps none were more influential than the YF-24 Evolution. The YF-24 was the progenitor of the VF-25 Messiah, the VF-27 Lucifer, the YF-29 Durandal and the YF-30 Chronos variable fighter derived from the Evolution blueprints disseminated by the New UN Forces Headquarters. Design and development of the YF-30 Chronos was secretly carried out independently by the Uroboros branch of SMS led by Uroboros regional director Major Aisha Blanchett, a self-professed genius engineer. Additionally, the new variable fighter was designated a YF prototype to avoid disclosure of the specifications to the New Unified Government. The Chronos airframe shape is notably similar to the YF-24 Evolution but the YF-30 variable mechanism was changed dramatically to accommodate the needs of the new craft's operational objectives. The design of the YF-30 Chronos included parts collected from the Protoculture ruins on Uroboros as well as parts from the Dyaus living weapons that protect the ruins. In addition to incorporating existing technologies, the YF-30 also uses the specially-developed aircraft control AI from the YF-25 Prophecy (known infrequently as Brunnhilde).

The YF-30 Chronos is built using the familiar delta wing shape of the YF-24 and uses a slightly enhanced version of the FF-3001/FC1 engine from the YF-29 Durandal. The Chronos is also equipped with canards to stabilize the aircraft due to changes in aerodynamic center and center of gravity due to transformation or differing loadouts in part caused by the greatest design feature of the craft; the multipurpose ordinance container system. The multipurpose container unit is mounted in the rear center fuselage and can accommodate various types of equipment loads depending on mission requirements. The standard form is the micro-missile package carrying 36 micro-missile launchers but the unit can contain hardware such as beam guns, auxiliary propulsion systems, or electronic warfare equipment. The YF-30 also incorporates the Fold Dimensional Resonance system (an improved version of the YF-29's Fold Wave system) which amplifies song energy, enabling the YF-30 to break through dense fold faults. For this reason the YF-30 Chronos has the alternate designation Variable Super-Dimension Diver.

In 2060 Strategic Military Services 2nd Lieutenant Leon Sakaki was on a mission from the SMS Sephira branch to deliver the control AI for the prototype YF-30. However, Sakaki was shot down by rogue Havamal forces and stranded on Uuroboros by a sharp increase in fold fault activity (called the Uroboros Aurora). Major Aisha Blanchett considered the arrival of Sakaki (and his subsequent assignment as de facto test pilot for the YF-30 Chronos) a "godsend" after the original YF-30 test pilot was seriously injured in a testing accident. Sakaki's emphasis on engine performance during test flights revealed durability problems in the YF-30 and the engine design was revisited as a result. Most infamous of these tests was a Vanquish race against Isamu Alva Dyson in YF-19. Once in active service, Leon Sakaki piloting the YF-30 Chronos was instrumental in rescuing Major Blanchett and singer Mina Forte from the rogue NUNS 815th Independent Squadron "Havamal". Ultimately these sorties foiled the Havamal's attempts to rewrite history using Protoculture technology in the ruins of Uroboros.
Last edited by MrMarch on Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:53 am, edited 4 times in total.
Seto Kaiba

latenlazy wrote:I kinda gathered that something like this was happening when Macross Galaxy was revealed as the surprise villain in Frontier, though they did a really poor of explaining this and integrating this into the narrative (oh boy, the things I have to say about Frontier...).
That's... complicated.

The audio dramas that were released alongside the series touch on it a little bit, and some of the print materials a little more (at least before the movies turned it up to 11), but the enemy in the Macross Frontier series isn't so much Macross Galaxy itself as Grace and her little clique of corporate goons.

The 21st Large-Scale Long-Distance Emigrant Fleet "Macross Galaxy" isn't governed by a civilian, democratic assembly like Macross Frontier is. It's pretty much a flying branch office and lab for General Galaxy, and it's governed as a corporation. Living there is said to be pretty awful, with everything geared toward efficiency rather than comfort, and after implant tech was made legal there in the 2040's, most of its population adopted it and went full Ghost in the Shell... the preferred escape from the daily grind being to live in cyberspace.

Arguably the vast majority of the fleet's population wasn't complicit in what Macross Galaxy did... they were being mind-controlled by a handful of ne'er-do-wells through their implants, like what happened to Brera Sterne or Maris Stella.

Henyo wrote:that reminds me, what are the chances of anything from M30 appearing in Delta? especially in regards to the YF30. i have yet to read up supplemental details on the VF, all i know is that its custom built by Aisha.(What does NUNS do to unit such BTW?)
Not significantly worse than anything from any other Macross title appearing, I would think.

Whether the New UN Forces will get their claws into the YF-30... I dunno. Classifying the YF-30 as a prototype was an effort by SMS Uroboros and Major Aisha Blanchett to temporarily defer having to disclose the technological improvements and specifications of the Chronos to the New UN Gov't. (For this same reason, the New UN Gov't technically considers Macross Galaxy's VF-27 to still be the YF-27... the specs were not disclosed.)

Finding a way to break through fold faults was the pet project (personal obsession) of Mr. Richard Bilra, the owner of SMS's parent company (the Zentradi train otaku in Frontier). The YF-30 was developed out on Uroboros to take advantage of the planet's perennial problem with severe fold faults (the Uroboros Aurora) and because Uroboros was so isolated (by the same fold faults) that its development could be kept confidential easily. (Not that Aisha expected it to stay secret forever, she clearly expected some of the other advances, like the modular ordinance container, were going to become standard equipment.)

Henyo wrote:stuff from games and side materials do make it to animated works sometimes right?

having mentioned a custom built VF, maybe the two VFs from the first official image are that. custom builts.
Periodically, yes... the most recent blatant example being Canaria's VB-6 Konig Monster in Macross Frontier, which was previously a game-only mecha.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Henyo

hows about we go to the Macross class ship that will appear in Delta? how do you want it be?
a Full sized macross? or like the Macross Quarter?

the original Macross is technically three ships stuck together, so how about we turn this up to eleven and have three Macross class ships combining? of course the size of the individual ships will most likely be the same as M Frontier's Quarter.

then we could go the Getter Robo path! XD
Seto Kaiba

Henyo wrote:hows about we go to the Macross class ship that will appear in Delta? how do you want it be?
a Full sized macross? or like the Macross Quarter?
Personally, I'd like to see a first-generation Macross-class ship that's still in service... so far, we've only seen the SDF-1 Macross parked in Macross Lake, the abandoned wreck of the SDFN-04 General Bruno J. Global on Galia IV, and the decommissioned SDFN-08 General Vrlitwhai Kridanik (AKA "Vrlitwhai City) on Uroboros.

It'd be nice to see a first-gen Macross still kicking around the galaxy... even if it's just a planetary defense fleet's flagship or a training ship. Maybe the SDFN-01 General Takeshi Hayase, or one we haven't heard anything about yet.

(I still privately suspect that the ship that was the stand-in for the SDF-1 Macross when they shot Do You Remember Love? in-universe was SDFN-01, though really any of the twelve would have suited just fine.)

Henyo wrote:the original Macross is technically three ships stuck together, so how about we turn this up to eleven and have three Macross class ships combining? of course the size of the individual ships will most likely be the same as M Frontier's Quarter.

then we could go the Getter Robo path! XD
Me, I still want the logical consequence of having separate ships for arms.

I want the Macross Rocket Punch.

(This was a thing we did once in a session of the Macross II RPG I ran... a mass-production Macross-class ship equipped with a pair of Daedalus II-class assault ships for arms up and rocket-punched a Mardook warship.)
The Macross Mecha Manual
Henyo

Seto Kaiba wrote: Personally, I'd like to see a first-generation Macross-class ship that's still in service... so far, we've only seen the SDF-1 Macross parked in Macross Lake, the abandoned wreck of the SDFN-04 General Bruno J. Global on Galia IV, and the decommissioned SDFN-08 General Vrlitwhai Kridanik (AKA "Vrlitwhai City) on Uroboros.

It'd be nice to see a first-gen Macross still kicking around the galaxy... even if it's just a planetary defense fleet's flagship or a training ship. Maybe the SDFN-01 General Takeshi Hayase, or one we haven't heard anything about yet.

Me, I still want the logical consequence of having separate ships for arms.

I want the Macross Rocket Punch.

(This was a thing we did once in a session of the Macross II RPG I ran... a mass-production Macross-class ship equipped with a pair of Daedalus II-class assault ships for arms up and rocket-punched a Mardook warship.)
the same thought crossed my mind. with that many colonization fleets launched, some of them are bound to end up using old tech because they had no other options.

and yeah, MACROSS ROCKET PUNCH! WITH DESTROID MISSILE MASSACRES ON THE SIDES!
MrMarch

I also prefer a legitimate justification for transformation in the Macross class ships, though I acknowledge that we’re far beyond that point in the franchise and we’re not likely to ever go back. Still, I’ve often thought a great justification for transformation is a new class of Macross as a “mobile fleet base”. I envision 4-6 smaller ARMD-type vessels mounted upon the new class of Macross in CRUISER mode. The transformation to ATTACK mode then has two very clever purposes:

One, the ATTACK mode is ideal to “launch” all its ARMD ships safely
Two, the ATTACK mode is also ideal for safely docking the vessels upon their return to the fleet base

Further - and this is where it really becomes fun - the Macross fleet base-type is the only fold-capable ship in this configuration group. The other 4-6 ARMD-style ships are sublight only. Hence, all the ARMDs must return to the Macross fleet base in order to fold space. SO COOOOOOL!

This type of vessel also has the advantage of merging well with the established Macross themes for space ships and fleets shown thus far (ships integrally docking with each other, one big mothership accompanied by the fleet, ARMD-style vessels a part of the Macross Class).

Forgive me for gushing with love for the idea :)
Last edited by MrMarch on Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
latenlazy

I've always thought a good justification was that the transformation allowed the Macross to increase the surface area of a frontal assault, and also increase the range of attack vectors for its main gun. I suppose the increased surface area could also allow faster docking and servicing for the rest of the fleet.
Deathzealot

Seto Kaiba wrote:
I had something similar in one of my story ideas which had a Macross (the Macross herself I do believe) being equipped with a rebuilt Daedalus Class ship that sported anti-gravity drives which allowed the Daedalus Arm to not only be used as a Rocket Punch like attack but as an Orbital Drop Ship as well.
Arbiter GUNDAM

I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Henyo

i feel that the Battroid modes of the VFs in Delta will be smaller compared to the others. reverse the wings, and it kinda looks like the X-36 from Strikers 1999. and hey, they are both white and blue! :twisted:

http://i.imgur.com/wCrqRYH.png
Seto Kaiba

Hmm... interesting.

I'm not sure if the forward-swept wings are correct, or if it's that weird sort of cranked arrow seen on the YF-27-5 and YF-30.

Looking at it like that though, it definitely looks more like a YF-29/YF-30 derivative.

If it IS a YF-29/YF-30 derivative, one has to wonder where they're getting the fold quartz in large enough quantities to make a fighter like that. The YF-29 needed an obscene quantity of the stuff (the core of the fold wave system was a 1,000ct chunk of ultra-high purity fold quartz).
The Macross Mecha Manual
Henyo

Seto Kaiba wrote:
Hmm... interesting.

I'm not sure if the forward-swept wings are correct, or if it's that weird sort of cranked arrow seen on the YF-27-5 and YF-30.

Looking at it like that though, it definitely looks more like a YF-29/YF-30 derivative.

If it IS a YF-29/YF-30 derivative, one has to wonder where they're getting the fold quartz in large enough quantities to make a fighter like that. The YF-29 needed an obscene quantity of the stuff (the core of the fold wave system was a 1,000ct chunk of ultra-high purity fold quartz).
The Vajras i'd assume. they did become friendly with humanity once free from Grace's manipulations. they could have given the Frontier fleet lots of Fold Quartz. (or borrowed them Mister Krabs style.)

also, my supplier pointed the VF's similarities to this guy.
http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Space_Case_(G2)

also to the Ixion plane from Raiden Fighters Jet