About weight, thrust, payloads and other oddities...

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Jameedaark

Re: About weight, thrust, payloads and other oddities...

Nebfer, I start this post to discuss about differences of specs in various series on similar MS, not ISP or Delta V or fuel efficiency... :)
MrMarch

Yeah, but it's always fun to learn about that stuff. At least I think so. I mean, i never had much interest in that kind of math and science until I got into sci-fi and then tried to understand it as if it were real. I wish I could have learned how to do my physics classes in high school by working out the math for different aspects of my favorite science fiction. Would have made school so much more enjoyable :)
domtropen

toysdream wrote:Finally, what about the standard Gundam? It occurs to me that, if the Alex's butt thrusters are 7,000 kg apiece, then technically the Katoki version of the RX-78 (as well as his 0083 GM variations) should also have the same feature. So the "complete" RGM-79C should really have 71,500 kg of thrust with all its engines going.

-- Mark
This make it more fitting to the standard Gundam's performance in MSG. In the scene after chopping Garma's Dopp's wing Gundam can rocket jump to grab the beam rifle in midair then roll and re-fired its thrusters to fly straight upward to engage Char's Zaku. After the fight Gundam can also stop and hover in midair to stop itself from crashing into Matilda's Medea. It's something that may not be doable if Gundam has relatively puny thrust like in the official spec.
MythSearcher

domtropen wrote:
toysdream wrote:Finally, what about the standard Gundam? It occurs to me that, if the Alex's butt thrusters are 7,000 kg apiece, then technically the Katoki version of the RX-78 (as well as his 0083 GM variations) should also have the same feature. So the "complete" RGM-79C should really have 71,500 kg of thrust with all its engines going.

-- Mark
This make it more fitting to the standard Gundam's performance in MSG. In the scene after chopping Garma's Dopp's wing Gundam can rocket jump to grab the beam rifle in midair then roll and re-fired its thrusters to fly straight upward to engage Char's Zaku. After the fight Gundam can also stop and hover in midair to stop itself from crashing into Matilda's Medea. It's something that may not be doable if Gundam has relatively puny thrust like in the official spec.
Given 0.93g, its doable(the downward acceleration will be much weaker, even weaker than when you are on the moon.)
Also given they are in atmosphere, they do not need to carry full weight propellant and can use air as a propellant, so you are likely to have a weight between empty and max.
Jameedaark

Are you sure? Does the gundam have nuclear jet engines?
MythSearcher

Jameedaark wrote:Are you sure? Does the gundam have nuclear jet engines?
Even if it doesn't the required propellant mass on Earth is much less since you don't really need to use it to move around and turn.
Also, it would be highly probable to install it since RX-78 is a multipurpose unit, not space exclusive.

(Though I highly discourage using MSs within atmosphere of Earth in a real life situation, but you can still use it in Space Colonies)